Mega Moemon Firered (1.4c), August2023

@abstranger

Do you think you could flatten her ahoge/cowlicks so her head can be bigger? And make her closest foot/leg further back/up and make her body a pixel or so bigger. She looks nice, but the angle makes her look smaller than Mega Venusaur and Mega Blastoise and it makes her face look very squished.

Edited by Leafjewel
46 minutes ago, Leafjewel said:

@Septentrion

I'll do Charmeleon.

Hitmonlee's skin tone or Hitmonchan's? The first set of skintones (the top left) I made used Hitmonchan's as a basis, but Hitmonchan only has two skin tones so I had to adjust for three colors.

It just seems a few of those Hitmontops were too tan compared to all the other forms. It doesn't have to be an exact palette match.

Something should probably be done about the ribbon tail if charizard is going to be worked on more.

20 minutes ago, abstranger said:

Tried to a new pose for mega charizard, since the other megas have their own poses.

Vhv1GOV.png

I do not think this pose will work for this design. The lapels are not visible and she has too much on top of her head to be sufficiently large. The wings are also going to be a issue blocking the character or being too low res.

Edited by Septentrion
14 minutes ago, Leafjewel said:

Do you think you could flatten her ahoge/cowlicks so her head can be bigger? And make her closest foot/leg further back/up and make her body a pixel or so bigger. She looks nice, but the angle makes her look smaller than Mega Venusaur and Mega Blastoise and it makes her face look very squished.

any better?

eOsmwBG.png

EDIT:

Sorry, didn't see your @Septentrion reply before posting

Edited by abstranger

@Septentrion

I had assumed that Hitmonchan's skin tones weren't set in stone since the rest of his family wasn't done yet. And honestly, the bottom sets were there just for more variety.

Top Charmeleon is at 17 colors because of blush and/or lightest blue. Grumpmeleon is at 16 colors (original didn't really have blush, so I took it off and added more light blue).

ACjQqYr.png

Edit 2: Do you want Ivysaur?

@abstranger

She looks better, but Septentrion does have a point about the angle covering up too many details. Mega Charizard needs to be in a position where most of her front is visible and we should really give her a real tail.

Edit: If we give regular Charizard a real tail, then Mega Charizard could keep the ribbon tail because variety.

Edited by Leafjewel
1 hour ago, Leafjewel said:

Top Charmeleon is at 17 colors because of blush and/or lightest blue. Grumpmeleon is at 16 colors (original didn't really have blush, so I took it off and added more light blue).

ACjQqYr.png

I seem to be having a problem like that with Venusaur, where there seems to be 18 distinct colors.

Edited by Septentrion

@abstranger

With Mega Venusaur and Mega Blastoise having completely different sprites as their base, Mega Charizard needs all the distinction it can get from regular Charizard. Both poses are good, but if you decide to use that Houndour's squatting position, then make sure the face is not squished. If you want, you can try giving Mega Charizard a new hairstyle (mainly the back of the hair) to differentiate her more from regular Charizard.

Took another look at Charmander and thought her left leg was too far to the right.

HX3JpAC.png

Edit: I'll minimize Moetal's Ivyaur's palette now.

Edited by Leafjewel

Once we get the megas done, I'll probably go back and give each family their own unique skintones.

@Septentrion

I'm not sure how you got only 18 colors for Venusaur. I found 21 distinct colors.

I took the ribbon tail off of Charizard, but now I don't know where to put a real tail. Both Charizard and Blastoise are at 16 colors.

sePlwrN.png

@Septentrion

Have you consider replacing the icon with a close up of the moemon's face? You might have to make it monochrome (maybe yellow for electric, red for fire type, etc if you don't want just grayscale). You could probably do greyscale with their eyes colored, and blinking animations for the two frame. I know I've done it successfully as a test.

13 minutes ago, Moetal said:

@Septentrion

Have you consider replacing the icon with a close up of the moemon's face? You might have to make it monochrome (maybe yellow for electric, red for fire type, etc if you don't want just grayscale). You could probably do greyscale with their eyes colored, and blinking animations for the two frame. I know I've done it successfully as a test.

That thought has not crossed my mind. However, I have considered a special theme to Mega Evolution icons. The incessant winking or blinking would not look good for a full party. Did you might them disembodied heads or was there a border?

@Moetal @Septentrion

If we go through with that idea, maybe the borders can get more extravagant as the Moemon evolves? Like having a simple colored border for the first stage and then adding some small emblem (like a leaf for grass or a droplet for water, etc) to the corners after it evolves. Maybe a fully evolved Moemon can have an emblem in each corner, but a second stage (out of three) only has an emblem at the very bottom center. And Megas can have even more emblems. Although, maybe this might be too difficult; even though we'd be able to copy the borders onto every icon, the icons themselves might be too small to handle the emblem borders.

Edit: I guess what I'm thinking of is a frame around the Moemon's faces/heads.

Edited by Leafjewel

I can't get moetal's idea to work. There's like three grays available at any time.

@Leafjewel

What about moemon that never evolve? It would be nice if I could add a heart to the final Evolutions, but then it would be a bit unfair to pokemon that could never earn a heart. Maybe a border that signifies that a Mega evolution is possible in the current game could be done. Anything else would just be creator's favoritism.