Mega Moemon Firered (1.4c), August2023

The black-lined bicep seemed too dark. Changed the shading on the shoulder pads.

9VO6srn.png

@laGashetaHardcore

Magnemite's backsprite looks much better.

The right side of Victreebel's face is not shaped well at all. If her face is going to be that wide, then her head needs to be moved a pixel or two to our right. Her eyes are also not correct: her open eye needs to be one pixel lower and maybe one pixel to our left depending on how wide her face ends up. Her right (our left) knee is too far down / forward. It needs to be moved up / back by a pixel. Her other leg needs to be moved down to the bottom of the square and moved to our left by a few pixels. Also, her right arm needs to be one pixel shorter.

Maybe you can do something about the current Weepinbell's backsprite, or make a backsprite for your Weepinbell.

Quilava has a different face, otherwise that image is the same one in the "Not in Patch" -> "Johto" folder. Cyndaquil is pretty much perfect, I think. Quilava's left leg needs to be a pixel wider and a better foot.

Edit: You know what, just change the shoe and then we will see if her leg needs to be widened.

Typhlosion though has many problems. For one, she needs a different head, one that does not look like May/Sapphire and her bandanna. Her arms are also way too long, and look like they could touch her knees. Typhlosion's legs need to be redone. The pose can stay, but the outlines need to be smoother (for her legs). Also, her left leg should be moved to the left by a pixel. These two questions can be ignored, but: Why does Typhlosion's skirt turn blue at the bottom instead of red like Quilava's or that stripe on Cyndaquil's dress? Why are the tops of her socks red / flame-colored instead of blue to match Quilava?

Edit: In terms of the other Johto starters:

The Chikorita in the drive needs a backsprite and I think the Bayleef from the 2.0 patch could still be used if she were made a little taller. And I don't know if there were any detailed plans for Meganium.

The Totodile and Feraligatr in the drive already have backsprites, so Croconaw is the only one without any kind of redesign.

If we're going to start working on the Johto starters, then I'll add other versions into the drive. Otherwise I'll hold off until then.

Edit 2: Possible alternate colors for the Cyndaquil family.

oauIAHF.png

Edited by Leafjewel
15 minutes ago, Leafjewel said:

These two questions can be ignored, but: Why does Typhlosion's skirt turn blue at the bottom instead of red like Quilava's or that stripe on Cyndaquil's dress? Why are the tops of her socks red / flame-colored instead of blue to match Quilava?

Well, I'll hardly consider something like that as a sin consider how much other designs change. The May/Sapphire thing is a big deal, although something like long hair can fix that.

Mega Venusaur backsprite's hair looks like a goo, and that her outlines need better shading. It don't think we're far off anymore though.

Mega Blastiose's foot is too wide. It looks like the original artist was trying something with perspective with the leg, which doesn't really fit in with the rest of the art. I would like the Mega Cannon to be a bit grander.

I'm going to try more stuff with the Pinsir's spear. The spear in the backsprite looks like most of it is missing. It looks like Hardcore also prefers the ribbons.

Magnemite's hat needs shading, or possibly even  glare given that it's metal. The eyelash is more dramatic in the frontsprite.

So, are we going to give Hitmonchan some men's clothing? Also, his pecks shouldn't have a strong outline.

35 minutes ago, Septentrion said:

So, are we going to give Hitmonchan some men's clothing? Also, his pecks shouldn't have a strong outline.

But Hitmonchan isn't Hitmonchan without his battle tutu.

J0FOQbV.png

Do you mean the outlines for Mega Venusaur's backsprite only? Or for both the front and the back sprites? Specifically which outlines? Do they need to be darker or thicker or what?

I'll see what I can do for Mega Blastoise's foot. And I guess I've been stalking the Moemon threads even longer than you have if you don't know that Blastoise was one of McMagister's earlier sprites. I'll also make the backsprite sleeveless while I'm at it.

Ribbon Pinsir is fine by me. Besides, with the spear she doesn't really need the pincers anymore.

Edited by Leafjewel

My backsprite isn't turning out well so there's this:

PKppRB0.png

24 minutes ago, Leafjewel said:

Do you mean the outlines for Mega Venusaur's backsprite only? Or for both the front and the back sprites? Specifically which outlines? Do they need to be darker or thicker or what?

Darker around the flower, brighter near the bright spot on the back's hair.

25 minutes ago, Leafjewel said:

And I guess I've been stalking the Moemon threads even longer than you have if you don't know that Blastoise was one of McMagister's earlier sprites.

I don't think I've actually ever lurked.

Fixed the hair that is inside the shell in the frontsprite to reflect the original. Shrank her left leg. Changed the top part of her boot from blue to yellow/brown because why not. Made her right cannon larger and redefined its handle. I had no idea what was going on in the space between her right cannon and her head, so I added the original Blastoise's shell there. Taking the sleeves off of the backsprite was a little trickier than I thought it would be, so the shading and outlines are probably a bit wonky. I moved the frontsprite as far down and to the left as she could in case anyone wants to make her biggest cannon even bigger.

C5hDeAZ.png

On 8/4/2017 at 8:16 PM, Septentrion said:

I wouldn't consider it necessary to match that much. Also consider that exeggcute has just one evolution.

but... i think exeg~cute is really on the side of first evo pokemons..even she only have one evolution X(

nZVQ1zZ.png

tried to shrink the other first evo pokemons made by hardcore(tried to match their size with pidgey and squirtle)

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

but... i think exeg~cute is really on the side of first evo pokemons..even she only have one evolution X(

nZVQ1zZ.png

tried to shrink the other first evo pokemons made by hardcore(tried to match their size with pidgey and squirtle)

Spoiler

But Hardcore didn't make Chikorita (and maybe not Totodile either).

Did you only make their legs shorter? Because that's not how you shrink a Moemon. You also have to make their arms shorter otherwise their proportions will be wrong. I mean Totodile's arms now reach her knees, and that's without her uncurling her hands, and Chikorita's back arm looks like it could touch the bottom of her foot. Aron's arms are also too long. And Exeggcute's arms are too long and legs need to be widened some (arms should not be that much thicker than legs).

Also, Pidgey and Squirtle aren't even the same size to begin with. Or are you completely ignoring the fact that Squirtle is bending her knees while Pidgey is mostly straight, making Squirtle much bigger than Pidgey?

I apologize if this comes off as me being rude to you. Let me just say that I don't have any problems with you shrinking some of the sprites (in fact I do think that Exeggcute is too tall compared to Exeggutor), but if you're going to be changing/shrinking a bunch of sprites, you should at least have the correct proportions on them.

Edited by Leafjewel
15 hours ago, Leafjewel said:
  Hide contents

But Hardcore didn't make Chikorita (and maybe not Totodile either).

Did you only make their legs shorter? Because that's not how you shrink a Moemon. You also have to make their arms shorter otherwise their proportions will be wrong. I mean Totodile's arms now reach her knees, and that's without her uncurling her hands, and Chikorita's back arm looks like it could touch the bottom of her foot. Aron's arms are also too long. And Exeggcute's arms are too long and legs need to be widened some (arms should not be that much thicker than legs).

Also, Pidgey and Squirtle aren't even the same size to begin with. Or are you completely ignoring the fact that Squirtle is bending her knees while Pidgey is mostly straight, making Squirtle much bigger than Pidgey?

I apologize if this comes off as me being rude to you. Let me just say that I don't have any problems with you shrinking some of the sprites (in fact I do think that Exeggcute is too tall compared to Exeggutor), but if you're going to be changing/shrinking a bunch of sprites, you should at least have the correct proportions on them.

hmm not only legs... i tried to edit in some other parts too  .. in the way i think they look good

i saw hardcore post it so i thought they made by him

maybe this kind of stuff is not for me ..maybe its time to stop XD

lF2mwDM.png

Tried a different shading on the backsprite's arms.

OIRkdth.png

Magnemite doesn't need such dramatic eyelashes since she's a little girl. Tried adding shine to Magnemite's headband. I don't think it worked.

9yU1ioj.png

Goldeen was at 22 colors due to pixel errors. Now she's at 16. I thought about it, and I think the reason I didn't like this Goldeen is because it has such two completely different outlining styles (no black outlines on the head, and only black outlines on the body). I softened up the outlines for the body to make them match more with the head's.

11YUsHv.png

tcYKIAY.png

On 8/10/2017 at 7:22 AM, Leafjewel said:

Most of the edits are fine, they just need shorter arms.

Gd5lDkP.png

here.. tried to short their arms.. did i do it right?

On 8/10/2017 at 7:22 AM, Leafjewel said:

I didn't mean to discourage you

i just  misunderstand something ..srry for that..XD

Well, these days I've been practicing but I'm really bad at it, hahaha ... I can't ever do good-looking icons, but I can color the shiny sprites, if you all want.

@Septentrion Can i help with the ROM hacking part? I noticed that your 1020 base uses MrDS base, and ever he, MrDollSteak, recommend to not use his rombase.

Look at this:

EdBlYu0.png

I'm acquainted with all that stuff, so why don't we make our own 'rombase'? We can stay with Fire Red, of course.

@Tackle

It was my fault. I should have worded my comments better. Instead they came out really harsh, and I'm sorry for that.

I moved Cyndaquil's right leg to the right by one pixel and I moved Totodile's left arm inwards by one pixel. I should have said this earlier, but that Chikorita is the first draft by Crookedwings. The one I replaced it with is the newest Chikorita. The arms are the ones you made and the legs are mostly yours, but I had to cut off the bike shorts on the shorter leg to fit under the new dress. Overall, good job with these three.

Exeggcute needed a lot more work with the shading and outlines. And I made the legs thicker. I don't think I made too many drastic changes (other than the legs maybe), so good job here too.

FYeyyHM.pngxOGJLFc.png

Edit: Aron is not here because I think she needs to be cleaned up more. Plus, we aren't even done with Kanto yet, and Aron is from Hoenn.

Edited by Leafjewel
3 hours ago, Yatogami said:

Well, these days I've been practicing but I'm really bad at it, hahaha ... I can't ever do good-looking icons, but I can color the shiny sprites, if you all want.

@Septentrion Can i help with the ROM hacking part? I noticed that your 1020 base uses MrDS base, and ever he, MrDollSteak, recommend to not use his rombase.

Look at this:

EdBlYu0.png

I'm acquainted with all that stuff, so why don't we make our own 'rombase'? We can stay with Fire Red, of course.

I know a bunch of the features are very old, but I thought the rombase itself was from 2016. Lots of rombases create MrDollStreak.

I'll like to see what you can do. I anticipated the possibility of recreating the hack.

1 hour ago, Moetal said:

You need more moes in your life. Everything is better with something adorable added.

My shiny teddy is nicknamed Zehkar and just for one screen I could use moemon.

Buut I think I had enough jokes made about me being certain memebear who liked Small girls so no,  thanks :3

12 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

My shiny teddy is nicknamed Zehkar and just for one screen I could use moemon.

Buut I think I had enough jokes made about me being certain memebear who liked Small girls so no,  thanks :3

I get called memebear all the time, but I know I ain't one so it doesn't bother me. I like cute things and I don't feel the need to hide it. 

Are you secretly a memebear? If not, then be brave and embrace the moes and install moemon.

Edited by Moetal