Mega Moemon Firered (1.4c), August2023

14 hours ago, Leafjewel said:

@KidVillero

MhvOUsE.png

1. A GBA Pokemon sprite is 64 by 64 pixels. Sprite editors generally take a 256 by 64 pixel sheet. We post double the actual size for visibility, which would be a 512 by 128 sheet. The Latios you posted was 506 x 128, so that was one problem.

2. When you edit sprites in the larger size, use a pencil/brush/tool that covers a 2 by 2 area or else it will not scale down properly. Do not use a single pixel pencil.

3. If you mean Paint.net, then go to Image -> Resize on the top tool bar. Then select "Nearest Neighbor" for the Resampling drop down section and 50% for the "By percentage" option. These settings will prevent distortion.

If you mean MS Paint, then hit "Ctrl + A" then Resize by 50% and maintain the aspect ratio. Then manually adjust the margins/canvas until you are at some multiple of 64 (64 x 64 for a single sprite, 256 x 64 for a full sheet, etc).

4. GBA Pokemon sprites can have a maximum of 16 colors, including the background color. That backsprite edit had ~30 unique colors.

I'm not sure what IrfanView/infanview/(whatever its name is) is, but Paint.net or MS Paint are able to edit pixel sprites like the ones here. 

Well, I started using paint.net and thank you for the explanation, you think you could go over more of the color details? I'm not too sure on how to make a sprite less than 16 colors because i colored the shiny for this one but again, the color distorts in the sprite editor :/ Sorry, for the constant noob questions, I want to learn and help out if I can.(:

j6uS2vU.png 

@KidVillero

What sprite editor are you using?

You can find a "Color Count" plugin for paint.net, which after installing, will tell you how many unique colors are in an image. Also, never use any shade of white for the background (if the eyewhites or hair shine are the same white, then they will show up transparent in the game). Reducing the number of unique colors down to 16 can be challenging at times and likely involves use of the magic wand with varying tolerances (0 tolerance means checking for the exact color) and the pencil tool.

Shiny Pokemon can also have only 16 colors (and this palette is unique to the shiny form; it does not rely on the normal sprite's colors in terms of numbers) and each color is matched between the normal and shiny versions on a one-to-one basis (shiny color 5 must be used for the same pixels as the normal's color 5). For example, every light blue pixel on the normal Masquerain should become light green on the shiny Masquerain. If the colors are becoming distorted, it is because there are more than 16 colors either on the normal sprite or the shiny sprite (or both).

Spoiler

An easy way to make a shiny set is to make the 64 x 64 of the frontsprite in one png and the backsprite in another, and make sure both contain only the same 16 colors. Then if you use APSE as the sprite editor, import the frontsprite for both the normal and the shiny frontsprites, and do the same for the backsprites. Then change the shiny palette. Finally, export the image.

You can also make one 256 x 64 sized blank image in paint.net. Open the normal frontsprite twice and the backsprite twice. Make sure they all have the same 16 colors and are 64 x 64 pixels. Recolor one frontsprite and one backsprite to the shiny colors. Then copy and paste them onto the blank 256 x 64 image in the order of: normal frontsprite, shiny frontsprite, normal backsprite, shiny backsprite.

1 hour ago, Leafjewel said:

@KidVillero

What sprite editor are you using?

You can find a "Color Count" plugin for paint.net, which after installing, will tell you how many unique colors are in an image. Also, never use any shade of white for the background (if the eyewhites or hair shine are the same white, then they will show up transparent in the game). Reducing the number of unique colors down to 16 can be challenging at times and likely involves use of the magic wand with varying tolerances (0 tolerance means checking for the exact color) and the pencil tool.

Shiny Pokemon can also have only 16 colors (and this palette is unique to the shiny form; it does not rely on the normal sprite's colors in terms of numbers) and each color is matched between the normal and shiny versions on a one-to-one basis (shiny color 5 must be used for the same pixels as the normal's color 5). For example, every light blue pixel on the normal Masquerain should become light green on the shiny Masquerain. If the colors are becoming distorted, it is because there are more than 16 colors either on the normal sprite or the shiny sprite (or both).

Hide contents

An easy way to make a shiny set is to make the 64 x 64 of the frontsprite in one png and the backsprite in another, and make sure both contain only the same 16 colors. Then if you use APSE as the sprite editor, import the frontsprite for both the normal and the shiny frontsprites, and do the same for the backsprites. Then change the shiny palette. Finally, export the image.

You can also make one 256 x 64 sized blank image in paint.net. Open the normal frontsprite twice and the backsprite twice. Make sure they all have the same 16 colors and are 64 x 64 pixels. Recolor one frontsprite and one backsprite to the shiny colors. Then copy and paste them onto the blank 256 x 64 image in the order of: normal frontsprite, shiny frontsprite, normal backsprite, shiny backsprite.

I see. I use the advanced sprite editor. So when I try to inject it into the game it distorts the color on the bottom

https://i.imgur.com/42fZo4Y.jpg

If I hit synchronize palette it distorts only the original image and backsprite the one I shaded seems fine :/

https://i.imgur.com/IHdDPlP.jpg

and here's the sprites again with a regular background

KQ6GhIM.png

Seeing how much effort goes into just making it work really makes me appreciate all the hardwork everyone does here. Also, I should mention, all I've done from the original sprite i found was color the shiny sprites.

@KidVillero

I also use APSE (advanced pokemon sprite editor), but it looks like we might use different versions. All of the necessary functions look the same though.

From the image you posted with the white background, I found that the normal frontsprite had 17 colors (one of the lightest blues on the right pigtail is slightly off) and the backsprite had 16 colors.

One problem with the "import all" button is that if the shiny sprite has more colors than the normal sprite, or has sections that are not colored with the exact same shading/pattern as the normal sprite, it can also corrupt the normal sprite. For instance, look at the bows: the pattern on the shiny Masquerain's bow looks completely different than the one on the normal sprite, which causes plenty of problems.

The "synchronize" button tries to match the shiny and normal palettes one-to-one, but if they have different patterns/differently colored sections, I think it tries to combine the two patterns, which often makes everything works.

Importing the frontsprite and backsprite separately (use the four import buttons underneath each sprite) and then recoloring the shiny palette should fix things.

Edited by Leafjewel
4 hours ago, Leafjewel said:

@KidVillero

I also use APSE (advanced pokemon sprite editor), but it looks like we might use different versions. All of the necessary functions look the same though.

From the image you posted with the white background, I found that the normal frontsprite had 17 colors (one of the lightest blues on the right pigtail is slightly off) and the backsprite had 16 colors.

One problem with the "import all" button is that if the shiny sprite has more colors than the normal sprite, or has sections that are not colored with the exact same shading/pattern as the normal sprite, it can also corrupt the normal sprite. For instance, look at the bows: the pattern on the shiny Masquerain's bow looks completely different than the one on the normal sprite, which causes plenty of problems.

The "synchronize" button tries to match the shiny and normal palettes one-to-one, but if they have different patterns/differently colored sections, I think it tries to combine the two patterns, which often makes everything works.

Importing the frontsprite and backsprite separately (use the four import buttons underneath each sprite) and then recoloring the shiny palette should fix things.

Ahhhh!!! You're awesome! Thank you for that explanation, it really helped! I finally get why I was wrong this whole time, and thanks to you I finally got it working, thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/5fPQVhk.png

Here's the working Masquerain sprite everyone!

4qGJo9b.png

Edited by KidVillero
18 minutes ago, KidVillero said:

Here's the working Masquerain sprite everyone!

aWDyyxH.png

Something horrible happened on a technical level. Only 15 colors exist on the entire image, and the shiny has the transparency color throughout. The normal and the shiny separately have a 16 color limit, which doesn't apply to the whole 64x265.

Artistically, the legs could be improved.

Oh , it will work fine if you hit "import all" and "synchronize palette" on the Masquerain selection,  if you're using APSE. It should fill itself out (: Also, I didn't make the sprite only colored the shiny for use,  yeah, maybe the legs need work but I preference this one over the old sprite lol

md8zqEm.png

Filled out more:

4qGJo9b.png

Edited by KidVillero

I found this old template of Breloom and decided to put my twist on it, I kinda prefer it over the elf Queen's Blade looking sprite, and this is my first time actually drawing for a sprite so I did the knee and gave a more aggressive fist because Breloom is a fighting mon, I was having fun with it so I wanted to make Jotar-loom. Yaaassss, I did it for the pun. A bit bizarre that I went with this, I know but I like it xD Sooo, thoughts?

0XBcCwQ.png

Man, I was looking at the back sprite and got frustrated with it since I felt it wasn't doing the main sprite enough justice sooo I redid it, I think this is better also still unsure of the straw, I added it because I was watching Kill La Kill and was like Mako's uniform had one so why not try it with this.lol Thoughts? 

eGmxPR5.png

1 minute ago, KidVillero said:

Man, I was looking at the back sprite and got frustrated with it since I felt it wasn't doing the main sprite enough justice sooo I redid it, I think this is better also still unsure of the straw, I added it because I was watching Kill La Kill and was like Mako's uniform had one so why not try it with this.lol Thoughts? 

eGmxPR5.png

I can’t help but be reminded of Jotaro’s hat-hair. And that’s not a bad thing.

@KidVillero You should wait until posting with a shiny. It's extra work if you don't have the normal sprite made properly, and it seems to be interfering with your work. A X2 magnification of the normal sprites is the typical posting practice.

Your full sets of both moemon has just 16 colors. This is not necessary. The normal gets 16, and the shiny gets a different 16. Work on just the normal sprites with a full 16 colors. Leave the shiny out of it until the normal version is approved.

I haven't found the time before now to really get into your images. Other than telling you that you have more colors at your disposal, there's the work you have done with even with the unneeded limitations.

1 hour ago, KidVillero said:

5Rwzch4.png

I like were you're going with the new head, but as a sprite this is very bad. You have a good idea with the new pose, but the sizes are all wrong. Most parts of the body need to be bigger, and the "Backsprite" body is less than half the sizes of other moemon's backsprite. You got to get with the style. Study the newer sprites more.

20 hours ago, KidVillero said:

ttAGOE9.png

I see a great problem with the linework on the backsprite, and general pixel clustering. Sharp turns, 2x2 pixel groupings, and unnatural straight lines are all noticeable even to a casual player. Pixel art is basically an illusion, and much of the back needs work to look natural.

Her backsprite's eye should be bigger, and I mentioned that her hips are too exaggerated.

Edit: Masquerain's leg do need to be improve, but it's close to getting in actually.

Edited by Septentrion

OK, so far I went back and redid the back sprite and made it bigger, if it needs to be bigger let me know, shiny isn't much work it's just adding a different shade so no hassle for me but thanks though. I'll get on the other works soon but it'll help if you could tell me what i should make bigger but here's what I have now.

58RMr1x.png

32 minutes ago, KidVillero said:

OK, so far I went back and redid the back sprite and made it bigger, if it needs to be bigger let me know, shiny isn't much work it's just adding a different shade so no hassle for me but thanks though. I'll get on the other works soon but it'll help if you could tell me what i should make bigger but here's what I have now.

58RMr1x.png

You've got the palette wrong every single time, and your normal sprite used only 11 colors. Your shinies don't match your normal version so those images won't even work. I'm telling you right now, don't post with shinies. Use a full 16 color palette on the normal sprites. As of now, your making different mistakes across all four sprites, such as transparency pixels being used around the eyes.

Fix the colors. use a full pallette on the sprite, and don't post a shiny version. As of now, the eyes and mouth would be a good place to start adding colors.

@KidVillero

Post sprites at double the size (128 x 128) so people can see them better. The only times the normal sized images are posted are when they are ready (or someone thinks they are ready) to go into the patch. Also try to fix up the outlines on your sprites (there should not be any large chunks of black).

Breloom's front and backsprite no longer match since the jacket collars are in completely different locations now.

Spoiler

Since Mawile is being worked on, here is the already existing Sableye.

tU1o6tY.png

By the way, this is actually the newest version of Hardcore's Masquerain, but some sections need to be fixed because they are not 2x2 pixels (and thus will not shrink down properly).

LrP1yTC.png

Edited by Leafjewel

I don't want to say anything for certain but I think I'm starting to understand how the shading works. It looks a lot smoother and I got rid of some the hair detailing and started from scratch, I gave her a lil bit of a larger mouth but mouths and eyes are like the bane of my existence even in actual drawing lol

G3l6YY0.png

5 minutes ago, KidVillero said:

I don't want to say anything for certain but I think I'm starting to understand how the shading works. It looks a lot smoother and I got rid of some the hair detailing and started from scratch, I gave her a lil bit of a larger mouth but mouths and eyes are like the bane of my existence even in actual drawing lol

G3l6YY0.png

That does look a bit better keep at it! Keep in mind the sprite has to be 64x64 then should be scaled to 128x128 (aka 2x) for us to be able to look at. Right now its 190x190 for some reason. I'd suggest making her arms a bit shorter/wider since they look kinda stringy right now. Is there a front sprite done? if so be sure you're matching them.