What is the devs view on the current state of breeding?

Like a lot of other players i am part of the game since 2012, and since then we saw a lot of breeding overhauls, which all had a big impact on the economy. Those big overhauls havent happened for a while now, so i wondered if the devs consider the current system of breeding the final form of it? (which i actually wouldnt mind). Or will there be new changes again, especially with hidden abilities in gen 5? Would be nice to hear some statement, im actually curious if we reached the end of the breeding changes after that long journey and if devs are satisfied with it :D 

I think it's a bit brutal without any form of shortcuts, but I'm pretty happy with it with Gen 3's limitations in mind. The majority of problems seem to come down to money at this point. That's not a flaw with breeding itself, though; It's sourced with what we encourage people to farm, the economic return on tasks, and the lack of options for money gain.

Gen 5 is problematic due to the shift in the Ability systems, but I don't think it's an issue with the new species. MMOs are designed to be rolling releases, PokeMMO included, and stagnation of gear which can be upgraded causes money sinks to be ineffective and, eventually, severe inflation. I do think we need more long-term goals aside from pokeman refinement, but I'm not really sure if there's anything else viable aside from some weird shoehorned character upgrade system.

3 hours ago, Kyu said:

Gen 5 is problematic due to the shift in the Ability systems, but I don't think it's an issue with the new species. MMOs are designed to be rolling releases, PokeMMO included, and stagnation of gear which can be upgraded causes money sinks to be ineffective and, eventually, severe inflation. I do think we need more long-term goals aside from pokeman refinement, but I'm not really sure if there's anything else viable aside from some weird shoehorned character upgrade system.

Degradable Pokémon like degradable gear? 

4 minutes ago, Bishav said:

Degradable Pokémon like degradable gear? 

Honestly, from a mechanic design standpoint - degradable 'mons would likely be beneficial.

I don't think such a feature would be well-received by the playerbase due to the nature of it, so I'm not sure it's a path we'd ever go down.

That said, we could come close to this by charging for such services such as healing in centers etc.

That's unlikely to happen, so don't panic too much - but just throwing that out there.

It doesn't encompass additional goals though, just adds to a sink.

3 hours ago, Darkshade said:

Honestly, from a mechanic design standpoint - degradable 'mons would likely be beneficial.

I don't think such a feature would be well-received by the playerbase due to the nature of it, so I'm not sure it's a path we'd ever go down.

That said, we could come close to this by charging for such services such as healing in centers etc.

That's unlikely to happen, so don't panic too much - but just throwing that out there.

It doesn't encompass additional goals though, just adds to a sink.

Only issue with charging people to heal in pokemon centers is the fact people can place pokemon in the PC and it'll heal them making the change a moot point. However, adding more money sinks would not be the best idea since there is not a lot of ways to earn cash in the game. (Yes I know about island farming and payday and using the GTL, Berry Farming).

But we need something more dynamic instead of doing the same things every day. Rotating Dalies in game would help out a lot, ranging from catching certain pokemon with IVs or Nature, to battling so many npc's to obtaining basic items and giving them to the NPC, or even having to trade so many times with different people. Then offer say a weekly or 2 where you can gain even more rewards than the dailies but they are harder to complete like winning a tournament in a certain tier which then would promote other tiers better.

(Also yes I do know that you're just throwing stuff out there and I am as well, while also giving you my opinion on it.)

14 minutes ago, Kite said:

However, adding more money sinks would not be the best idea since there is not a lot of ways to earn cash in the game. (Yes I know about island farming and payday and using the GTL, Berry Farming).

What we need is a Pokémon sink of a kind to avoid the stagnation of the perfect 31s in the market and people's pc boxes. Make people weary of using the best tools ingame while giving them an opportunity to do so as well.  

As it stands currently, you can no life and get a few 31s of the same egg group and get a team of 31s for your comp needs and that's it. You have that Pokémon team with you for perpetuality unless there is a change in the tiers etc. Basically, you don't need to invest much on it after you have obtained it.

This would be bad for dungeons(hopefully planned in future) where you can spam the same Pokémon over and over.

A Degradable Pokémon(stat drain with usage) which would lead to item/money spent on for preventing the degrade, seems like an okayish idea.

This, however, would be terribly received by the community as DS and you have pointed out.

Since you are talking about money sink... why not make an exclusive vanity item(just one in the game) in the mystery box?

There's a topic here where the player spent +5M(just for fun i guess), but with an exclusive vanity item maybe more players would buy them...?

Could be Ludicolo Hat, or Charizard Wings, or whatever vanity item you guys would like to have.

Well it's just an idea(maybe not a great one anyway :P)

14 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Since you are talking about money sink... why not make an exclusive vanity item(just one in the game) in the mystery box?

There's a topic here where the player spent +5M(just for fun i guess), but with an exclusive vanity item maybe more players would buy them...?

Could be Ludicolo Hat, or Charizard Wings, or whatever vanity item you guys would like to have.

Well it's just an idea(maybe not a great one anyway :P)

Kyu hat lol

1 hour ago, Bishav said:

What we need is a Pokémon sink of a kind to avoid the stagnation of the perfect 31s in the market and people's pc boxes. Make people weary of using the best tools ingame while giving them an opportunity to do so as well.  

As it stands currently, you can no life and get a few 31s of the same egg group and get a team of 31s for your comp needs and that's it. You have that Pokémon team with you for perpetuality unless there is a change in the tiers etc. Basically, you don't need to invest much on it after you have obtained it.

This would be bad for dungeons(hopefully planned in future) where you can spam the same Pokémon over and over.

A Degradable Pokémon(stat drain with usage) which would lead to item/money spent on for preventing the degrade, seems like an okayish idea.

This, however, would be terribly received by the community as DS and you have pointed out.

Well, to combat the 31 IV comps, make the dungeons (if they are ever implemented) extremely hard forcing players not to use the same mons over and over again. In another game (not related to pokemon but it has similar style mechanics but not at the same time) You can't use the same lineup for everything. Or make custom pokemon in the dungeons that are existing pokemon but have higher base stats by say an increase of 50% while making them unable to be caught. Or make the dungeons force you to have a certain team it chooses picking say random 6 pokemon and it changes daily while also rotating the pokemon inside the dungeon to hard counter what it asks the player for. This will get people to use a variety of pokemon or have them ready for dungeons and may increase the pokemon's value a bit in the process. 

If there was a decay on the pokemon, you can have it in the form of a virus weakening the pokemon the more you use it. Making people either pay say $100k to Nurse Joy to immediately recover it to full strength. Or having the player keep in their party for say 3-5 days without using it or gaining exp or evs and it'll recover to full strength. Or the pokemon can just have it known as extreme exhaustion. 

Though I'm still against that. 

Perhaps just a bunch more collectible shit that isn't comp.

theonly reason I played comp is cause I didn't really have a choice, it's the only end game there is-- but i'm more the kinda guy to fill the OT dex or 'complete all the quests' in other MMOs. I think catering to the 'completionist' players can give ideas for a moneysink / different endgame goal maybe.

9 hours ago, Kite said:

Only issue with charging people to heal in pokemon centers is the fact people can place pokemon in the PC and it'll heal them making the change a moot point.

Not really, we'd just remove that feature altogether if that was something we were ever to commit to.

9 hours ago, Kite said:

But we need something more dynamic instead of doing the same things every day. Rotating Dalies in game would help out a lot, ranging from catching certain pokemon with IVs or Nature, to battling so many npc's to obtaining basic items and giving them to the NPC, or even having to trade so many times with different people. Then offer say a weekly or 2 where you can gain even more rewards than the dailies but they are harder to complete like winning a tournament in a certain tier which then would promote other tiers better.

I agree that dailies would be a positive, and we've had a few dynamic events planned and on the backburner for awhile now.

Once we get some of the more important stuff out of the way, perhaps we could look into finally implementing them.

7 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

There's nothing wrong with the idea of placing an exclusive vanity item into the mystery boxes - but, as a money sink it falls flat.

Money sinks have to be placed in places that people require to progress, otherwise the player will just avoid them until convenient to them (and no cash is sunk)

Breeding - the topic of this thread is a good example of this.