Another post on implementing legendary mons

sebastiantho

Question

For many including myself, Legendary Pokémon are a sign of closure, the end goal. And so if you take that away from trainers, they're left with a feeling of unfulfillment, dissatisfaction and a lack of finalization, feels uncomplete. Therefore I find it crucial to include Legendary Pokémon in an MMO like PokeMMO. I think the importance of implementing them is shown through the competitors of PokeMMO. Virtually every competitor has an implementation of their own.

Current Legendary Pokémons

The current Pokémons is, in my opinion, badly implemented, almost insulting. I see no point in catching a Pokémon of which I am well aware I will lose shortly after. I find it tedious to farm for something that'll shortly be gone. Because the game Pokémon is all about building your roster, feeling compassion for your Pokémon and training them to become the strongest they can be. The current system does not fulfill this and does only cater to a very niche target group in my eyes. 

What I think the current system DOES accomplish, is bringing certainty to balance, as you'll never see one in tournaments and other competitive PvP scenarios. It also creates a very epic nostalgic feeling for Pokémons, but I do not think this is worth the downsides.

Balancing Legendary Pokémon

When you discuss implementation of legendary Pokémon, a few issues are brought up. Mainly balancing. There are many solutions to this. For one, not every legendary Pokémon are viable in competitive PvP, so one solution is starting with unviable legendaries, and looking at the feedback. Another solution is balancing the overall strength of the Pokémon. The more powerful legendaries overall stat count could simply be matched with the currently competitive Pokémons, or even slightly below that if their move-kit is too strong, this is something that should be closely monitored until they fit into a neat spot of the roster. 

Obtaining Legendary Pokémon

Legendary Pokémons are .. well.. Legendary, and so should the experience obtaining one be. There are an infinite possible ways to go about doing this. Whether you keep it vanilla, and make the ways of catching them like in the original, or you make a custom way of obtaining them are both attractive in their own ways. I have even heard people spread rumors of Dungeons-based scenarios, that would award a legendary Pokémon, which definitely sounds intriguing. 

I hope this has brought some insight on the importance of implementing Legendary Pokémons. I would love to hear your opinion down below. 

10 answers to this question

There are already plans for how to add them, so you really didn't need to add to the gorillion threads suggesting to implement them.

2 hours ago, sebastiantho said:

Legendary Pokémons are .. well.. Legendary, and so should the experience obtaining one be.

It wouldn't be so "legendary" to get one only to find that literally everyone else ahead has one already.

21 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

There are already plans for how to add them, so you really didn't need to add to the gorillion threads suggesting to implement them.

They said that over a year ago as well, and they are yet to release any statements, so I'm getting slightly impatient, wanting more information from them. 

21 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

It wouldn't be so "legendary" to get one only to find that literally everyone else ahead has one already.

That's a good point, and that's where you need to tweak some numbers. There obviously needs to be some difficulty or rarity to achieve them. At the same time I reckon you should not make the *mistake* that servers like Pokemon Planet did, and made their legendaries a 1/200k chance to get. That is ridiculously rare, if you meet a new pokemon every 15th second, it would take you an estimated 833 hours to find it.

Edited by sebastiantho
Just now, sebastiantho said:

They said that over a year ago as well, and they are yet to release any statements, so I'm getting slightly impatient, wanting more information from them. 

If you look around on the right thread you'll find the statements you want.

1 hour ago, SodaNaranja said:

Make them available only after OT dex completion.

I actually like this idea. There needs to be some proper, good reward for completing the OT dex. Could also make them untradeable so it wouldn't be able to destroy the economy and people who haven't completed the OT dex couldn't get them... and you'd only get one shot per character to get a good one.

Edited by Johnnicles
On 01/07/2017 at 7:42 PM, sebastiantho said:

I have been looking, can you refer me to something specific on their plans?

Aside from the Dev blogs, this was the most recent thread.

Go to search> advanced Search> search by author> kyu > "legendary"

You will get all the detailed discussions on legendaries that way.