Official tournament spectator chat

Kimikozen

Question

Officials and CC's are pretty boring if you are spectating and the only effective way to communicate about the tournament is with your team or in Vermillion normal chat. I suggest a spectator chat so that everyone watching can talk about the match. This slightly increases hype for automated tournaments, and right now there is no hype for automated tourneys unless you're rooting on your boys. In 2012-2013 it felt like every single official tourney mattered and was super hyped up. But automation and general hype for the tourneys slowly fell and they are really underwhelming to spectate. I understand that the hype for officials will probably never be as high as 2012-2013, but a spectator chat can increase the hype and make a match environment similar to PSL without forcing everyone to be in Silph or Vermillion.

some potential cons/talking points:

• The players could ghost/get coached by the spectator chat. This could be stopped by disabling the chat for battlers but still there are some pretty simple ways to get around this. But then again if someone really wants to coach/ghost, they could also talk in team chat or whisper the player just as easily as a battler could check spectator chat.
  • Doesn't 100% solve hype problem because there is something special about everyone being in Silph watching battles rather than opening up some menu and watching the battle there.
  • Gluumuk memes would die quicker

13 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Kimikozen said:

Officials and CC's are pretty boring if you are spectating and the only effective way to communicate about the tournament is with your team or in Vermillion normal chat. I suggest a spectator chat so that everyone watching can talk about the match. This slightly increases hype for automated tournaments, and right now there is no hype for automated tourneys unless you're rooting on your boys. In 2012-2013 it felt like every single official tourney mattered and was super hyped up. But automation and general hype for the tourneys slowly fell and they are really underwhelming to spectate. I understand that the hype for officials will probably never be as high as 2012-2013, but a spectator chat can increase the hype and make a match environment similar to PSL without forcing everyone to be in Silph or Vermillion.

some potential cons/talking points:

• The players could ghost/get coached by the spectator chat. This could be stopped by disabling the chat for battlers but still there are some pretty simple ways to get around this. But then again if someone really wants to coach/ghost, they could also talk in team chat or whisper the player just as easily as a battler could check spectator chat.
  • Doesn't 100% solve hype problem because there is something special about everyone being in Silph watching battles rather than opening up some menu and watching the battle there.
  • Gluumuk memes would die quicker

As much as I would like to see this, I have to say that people are chatting with their team mates now. If your alone, look for a competitive team to join or if that is not your style, log into an alt and make a "spectator's team" and then send invites to people you know. You can chat about the match as much as you want and there does not need to be any spectator chat. I would like for the devs to install this feature (to spice up my videos a bit), but people usually talk to their teams while in officials.

8 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

As much as I would like to see this, I have to say that people are chatting with their team mates now. If your alone, look for a competitive team to join or if that is not your style, log into an alt and make a "spectator's team" and then send invites to people you know. You can chat about the match as much as you want and there does not need to be any spectator chat. I would like for the devs to install this feature (to spice up my videos a bit), but people usually talk to their teams while in officials.

I think a "spectator's team" is really an inefficient way to just talk about a singular tournament with others. First off, getting people other than myself to join the team and spectate would be quite the challenge, as many people already have a team and don't have any plans on leaving that said team. And the point of this spectators chat is to share ideas about the match with smart players, and most of those smart players are already on a team that they are not willing to leave. Secondly, I understand most players will just talk to their teams right now, but I think if a spectator chat comes than people will talk with each other outside their team. For example, PSL matches, people will talk with their respective in game team and PSL team about the match, but there is still many comments made outside the match in normal chat. Finally, I think a spectators chat is a great way to hear others opinions outside of your own team. I never really interact with other teams like LYLE, AW, RNG, RISE, etc on a normal basis, so I don't get to hear their competitive opinions. But with a spectators chat we can all share ideas together in one chat rather than just in your team chat.

2 minutes ago, Kimikozen said:

I think a "spectator's team" is really an inefficient way to just talk about a singular tournament with others. First off, getting people other than myself to join the team and spectate would be quite the challenge, as many people already have a team and don't have any plans on leaving that said team. And the point of this spectators chat is to share ideas about the match with smart players, and most of those smart players are already on a team that they are not willing to leave. Secondly, I understand most players will just talk to their teams right now, but I think if a spectator chat comes than people will talk with each other outside their team. For example, PSL matches, people will talk with their respective in game team and PSL team about the match, but there is still many comments made outside the match in normal chat. Finally, I think a spectators chat is a great way to hear others opinions outside of your own team. I never really interact with other teams like LYLE, AW, RNG, RISE, etc on a normal basis, so I don't get to hear their competitive opinions. But with a spectators chat we can all share ideas together in one chat rather than just in your team chat.

What I meant was asking them to log into alts and join a team. You can do that and stay in your current team. There are a lot of people in this community who are in 2 to 3 teams with the help of their alts. Ask someone with an alt to join your "Spectator's team."

Just now, Bestfriends said:

What I meant was asking them to log into alts and join a team. You can do that and stay in your current team. There are a lot of people in this community who are in 2 to 3 teams with the help of their alts. Ask someone with an alt to join your "Spectator's team."

Again, this is just an inefficient way of doing things. A spectator chat is really more of a quality of life update. I can just as easily ask my whole team and friends list to goto vermillion ch.7 and we can spectate and chat about the match. The spectator chat is meant to increase overall community hype in automated tournaments without taking away the automated and extremely simple process.

Just now, Kimikozen said:

Again, this is just an inefficient way of doing things. A spectator chat is really more of a quality of life update. I can just as easily ask my whole team and friends list to goto vermillion ch.7 and we can spectate and chat about the match. The spectator chat is meant to increase overall community hype in automated tournaments without taking away the automated and extremely simple process.

YouTube wise: I support you

PokeMMO wise: I am going to say that I am going to say that you just stated a solution. Ask people to go to a meeting place and spectate there. You never know, if you send me an invite, I might pop out of my studio.

9 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

YouTube wise: I support you

PokeMMO wise: I am going to say that I am going to say that you just stated a solution. Ask people to go to a meeting place and spectate there. You never know, if you send me an invite, I might pop out of my studio.

When you say I stated a solution, I meant that rallying up a bunch of people to come and spectate with me was as easy as making a spectator team. Not as easy as a spectator chat. The chat I'm suggesting is purely convenience and much easier than anything already available in the game. 

40 minutes ago, Kimikozen said:

When you say I stated a solution, I meant that rallying up a bunch of people to come and spectate with me was as easy as making a spectator team. Not as easy as a spectator chat. The chat I'm suggesting is purely convenience and much easier than anything already available in the game. 

I want this to happen as well, but I just noticed another problem. If the tournaments are automated and you spectate the match after it has concluded, how will you be able to see or respond to the chat. You would feel horrible that you missed that match.

1 minute ago, Bestfriends said:

I want this to happen as well, but I just noticed another problem. If the tournaments are automated and you spectate the match after it has concluded, how will you be able to see or respond to the chat. You would feel horrible that you missed that match.

Simple solution, spectating matches that have already ended does not place you into the tournament chat.

I think it'd make more sense to ghost out the chat to people that are battling. So only the people watching can chat amongst each other in this ghost state? It would deter people just openly giving tips and helping the battlers - like Town of Salem's graveyard chat..!

Where the dead is talking and the players remaining can't see anything ;o I mean there's always whispering and shit but at least this is a thing that could I guess bring more of a closeness in the community in a competitive aspect. 

I think it's a good thing for some players who'd like to speak to other comp players in the game - some avoid channel chat completely and a lot like to zone in Verm and watch battles. One's who are getting into comp probably have a lot of questions going unanswered or whatever the case is. As for making a team specifically for talking to others watching the match, I think you miss the concept. 

It'd be a nice idea.