Over-moderation

Draekyn

1 minute ago, Munya said:

It was an irrelevant suggestions since the staff guidelines are pretty much the same as the player guidelines and to make sure that nobody is breaking those guidelines, so even if the suggestion wasn't a troll it was irrelevant.

So say that in the post and lock/trash instead of just deleting it, looks shady as fuck whenever you guys just delete a thread that relates to staff in any way.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:42 PM, Draekyn said:

Moderation is necessary on these forums as our player-base is likely to be rather young.

However, I would make the case that over-moderation can turn out to be worse than under-moderation, leading to dull, uninteresting discussions.

I'm well aware that the staff team will moderate their forums as it pleases their overlords, these are a few suggestions and comments from my point of view that you might want to bring up.

I'd also like to point out that moderators do what they do on a voluntary basis, and they put in a good amount of work, this isn't in any way an attack on the moderating team, moreso a message to their overseers on the way to form them.

I'm assuming that the admins allow for strict moderation. This, to me, leads to a plethora of issues:

• The stricter the moderation, the more room given for moderator bias. This is our biggest problem, a user's views might not coincide with a moderator's, and that's fine, as long as the moderation isn't so strict as to make visiting the forums and keeping up with the community a tedious, boring and unpleasant endeavor.
  • Choice of moderators: Our selection process has lead to increasingly young and inexperienced picks. Each time, they seem to be more and more unknown by the community (thus not respected). These young moderators are placed in a difficult situation, wanting to prove themselves to their superiors, and concurrently to find a place in the community. This leads to zealous moderation. I am not aware of the current state of the applications you get, but if the applications' quality decreases, you might want to contact former moderators or better known players. I should probably point out that I don't have any quarrels with the current moderators, I hardly even know who some of them are at this point.

Communication: Moderators aren't mind-readers, they might not be in on an inside joke. We've sadly, in the recent past, witnessed quite a few instances of unwarranted verbal warnings or hidden posts simply because the moderator did not understand the topic at hand:

Reveal hidden contents

ed146b2aaa22062edeb95d837e5e49e5.png

OmSCove.png

fHmFi9I.png

nF8XY8v.png

blrdTlc.png

31298d9eee9ee24f334a932e9e901603.png

Now this was a mild occurence, I don't believe any sanctions were put on anyone, but unwarranted verbal warnings and hidden posts happen quite frequently.

It shows that a moderator might misunderstand the tone of a conversation and see it as going against the rules when it is simply an attempt to make these forums more fun. Communication is the answer to this kind of issue, "what is this about?", "is this serious?", this kind of things.

Post removal and consistency: Recently, it seems that posts are being removed willy-nilly. The consensus among the community seems to be that post removal has become inconsistent and poorly explained, if the moderator is even able to explain when prompted. The inconsistency is the worst part. Though perfect consistency isn't possible, the more uniformity in the way you deal with players as a moderator, the less likely you are to be accused of bias. This lack of consistency stems from the over-moderation we have seen.

All that being said, I do appreciate the fact that warning points seem harder to get. But this leads me to my next point:

Turning a blind eye to a certain kind of troublemakers: Linked to consistency, we are well aware of several individuals who make the forums a harder place to read through. The fact that they might be socially inadequate shouldn't entitle them to moderation immunity. If you want your forums to have more success, consistency is key. Warning points should not be given to a user if another has said the same thing two post prior and is left warning points free. This goes for post hiding.

The way I see it, in the past few months we have seen a great deal of over-moderation on these forums.

The degree of moderation should be directly correlated to the atmosphere you as a staff team want to give to these forums, which have been on a low but steady decline for a while. Make them fun to be a part of, moderate disputes harshly if need be, try not to moderate the fun too much. I do appreciate the relative freedom we are given in PSL threads for example.

On another note, quid of Value Discussion?

@Noad and co, this is mostly for you guys, do whatever you wish with my ramblings.

I generally agree with this, the good news is that as far as I can tell this forum platform has a very good super user/admin tool kit which allows them to monitor what the mods do... So if ur experiencing biased moderation just let Noad or some of the SGM+ know... I can say in good faith the staff on this game does strive to be fair and create a good environment for all.  

1 hour ago, notmudkip0 said:

I love how you can pull shit like this, but if it was the other way around I'd be slammed with a warning point.

It was a joke, I don't think I have ever warned anybody for a insult made against me unless it was blatantly offensive under any circumstance.  If you truly have an issue with it I will remove it though.  I am in no way above moderation.

On 7/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, Munya said:

It was a joke, I don't think I have ever warned anybody for a insult made against me unless it was blatantly offensive under any circumstance.  If you truly have an issue with it I will remove it though.  I am in no way above moderation.

Your comments were inappropriate. Please remove your comments, yourself, and berd.

What I'm seeing a lot of here is, wow, I gave a pretty crap response to another player and to prevent a shitstorm it was deleted! Now I'm going to play dumb and not realize it's me and furthermore cause a disruption because I can't spread the hate I want. Uguu some more.

To be a little more clear, it's a battle you won't win. 

If you are the target for a lot of your posts being deleted, jee, ionno, I guess reevaluate how you portray your points. 

I've gotten a few of my own posts deleted and you know what, I only have myself to blame. So there's that.

Edited by AshisCatchin
  • 4 months later...