Over-moderation

Draekyn

On 22.06.2017 at 4:42 AM, Draekyn said:

Choice of moderators: Our selection process has lead to increasingly young and inexperienced picks. Each time, they seem to be more and more unknown by the community (thus not respected). These young moderators are placed in a difficult situation, wanting to prove themselves to their superiors, and concurrently to find a place in the community. This leads to zealous moderation. I am not aware of the current state of the applications you get, but if the applications' quality decreases, you might want to contact former moderators or better known players. I should probably point out that I don't have any quarrels with the current moderators, I hardly even know who some of them are at this point.

This is something I am good example of. I was playing this game for 4 years before I became staff member. Was I unknown for mayority of players? Yes. I was really helpful for all those years as well, so "knowing" player can be  biased too. 

Community Managers (taking this rank as new staff members are starting at this ) are not really moderators. They're our bridge between players and staff members. You might say some of them are "unknown", while certain channels knows them for year or so. I can only say no moderator tries to "prove themself to their superiors", because there is no need to prove at all, we have our ways to see how good is someone and it has nothing to do with dealing with players. Its not like "mute/warn 10 people today and you will be liked". 

Our new staff members are here to help us making events, providing tournaments and help players and thats how they prove they're helpful.

Communication: Moderators aren't mind-readers, they might not be in on an inside joke. We've sadly, in the recent past, witnessed quite a few instances of unwarranted verbal warnings or hidden posts simply because the moderator did not understand the topic at hand:

Reveal hidden contents

ed146b2aaa22062edeb95d837e5e49e5.png

OmSCove.png

fHmFi9I.png

nF8XY8v.png

blrdTlc.png

31298d9eee9ee24f334a932e9e901603.png

Now this was a mild occurence, I don't believe any sanctions were put on anyone, but unwarranted verbal warnings and hidden posts happen quite frequently.

It shows that a moderator might misunderstand the tone of a conversation and see it as going against the rules when it is simply an attempt to make these forums more fun. Communication is the answer to this kind of issue, "what is this about?", "is this serious?", this kind of things.

All that being said, I do appreciate the fact that warning points seem harder to get. But this leads me to my next point:

I knew this thread will finally backfire. Thanks for bluring my name, but I will adress it as I'm not ashamed (ok I kinda am) that it was my honest mistake for misunderstanding this topic. Hidden posts were insults, drug refferences or just spam with 1 word as whole post or not needed videos as well, so it's not like "bear took it badly and hide posts cause of that", but rather "bear took it badly, and hide insults mostly". I made mistake here, don't get me wrong as I'm not saying I didn't. But ever since I took even more time to watch into new things that popped up. 

19 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

About selections for staff... It seems like mostly just well known players, who had been around for a while and were known and respected by players, were able to obtain a position among mods. But now that doesn't seem to be the case, because the more recent recruits mostly just answered the same handful of questions in channel chat during their time on. With just that known, I hardly see a reason to even give them CM, as they'll ultimately do the same thing, answering the same questions, until either a promotion or until resigning. I should note that they tend to stick to the same channel for the most part, and rarely use forums for anything, so you can't really get to know them much (you might not even see them at all.)

I honestly think recruits should have some sort of reputation first, just so when they're seen with a staff tag, you don't wonder "who the hell is this?" I doubt such a thing will ever happen, but it's a nice thought.

Same as above. Our CMs are taken from playerbase and it's more likely that we will take someone who is answering questions and behaving good, rather than someone who is just playing.

For not giving them CM cause they will still just answering questions- this is bad argument, of course they will still do but there is more off-screen work that they're providing. 

Basically- if we see someone taking his time to help players, we can assume he is helpful person that will gladly do his best to help our players. 
Reputation helps, obviously. But it still more important how player is acting towards other players. 

3 hours ago, Moetal said:

:3

On 6/21/2017 at 11:03 PM, Bestfriends said:

Good evening LowOrbitAI, I would like to debate you on this paragraph. Forums is a professional place where people speak about certain issues dealing with gameplay. If I go on forums and make jokes, then people might look at forums and be like: "seriously, this game's forums is a joke!" and they leave. When you have an operation, it is important to have a professional look to it. Look at my YouTube channels for example, I need to have one central place to run to for professional announcements, so the concept of "Roy Rogers Inc" was born. In the corporate world, you need to have a parent company to help out operations.....

FOX News and FOX Business = News Corp

Head & Shoulders and Herbal Essences = Procter & Gamble

PokeMMO the game and discussions relating to PokeMMO = Forums

From a corporate standpoint, it makes sense. When you have a parent company, that company has to be professional about their work. Roy Rogers Inc with my example, has to be extremely professional with operations relating to my brands. I also have to have Roy Rogers Inc provide a sort of a "work hard ethic" pressure down to the other channels I own. Forums also does the same thing to the discussions and the game.

Of course users shouldn't go around making jokes in the more serious parts of the boards, however, jokes should be allowed everywhere but there really.I completely understand people wanting their website/game to not look bad, however, there should be balance in moderation. If nobody is attempting to actually cause chaos, then there shouldn't really be issues, and if there are, a moderator can politely message them to stop what they are doing, and if they continue even though they don't mean to, they can be punished. I don't believe humor is much of an issue in a place where hundreds of users are likely to be young teenagers. Harassment is an issue. Lurking for sexual purposes is an issue. Kids making jokes are not. If a kid comes up in your super important thread and posts a dank meme you can report it and it can be removed and they can get warned, but if they post a meme on a not so important thread, then it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Honestly, if you want your site to not look bad, you shouldn't look like the site that bans little kids for making harmless jokes. That is probably more harmful than having kids that make jokes in the first place.

5 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

So why was a recent suggestion suddenly deleted? It was an honest suggestion relating to staff guidelines, what's the point in removing it?

it was obviously someone with a grudge towards staff trying to create trouble

I dont see how this would have let to a healthy discussion at all

Edited by Bilburt
35 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

So is it all fine for you guys to take down threads as you please?

Don't do it.

I'v been down the rabbit hole you are peering into.
I'v fought in numerous shitposting wars over the years.
We never win, they have too much power.
We have lost many great posters over the years.

I watched Noad rise to power.
I watched Daftkitteh burn threads to the ground.
I'v witnessed many of great men meet the ban-hammer.
I'v witnessed all of the picture of yourself threads in all their glory.

Shitposting, Shitposting Never Changes

5 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

So is it all fine for you guys to take down threads as you please?

It was an irrelevant suggestions since the staff guidelines are pretty much the same as the player guidelines and to make sure that nobody is breaking those guidelines, so even if the suggestion wasn't a troll it was irrelevant.