Over-moderation

Draekyn

27 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

Good evening Jordzi, I hope your doing well. I know where your coming from, but I have to ask you something: Are you allowed to act like a kid in Wal-Mart? If you do, people around you would call cops right away. To use your analogy, PokeMMO the game is like the club and the forums is like an office building. Your not in school, but there are times when you have to still follow the rules of school. Your not allowed to talk to yourself in Wal-Mart or people (around where I live) would call cops and detain me for being "nutty" in a public setting. Although, you are allowed to talk to yourself on forums because no one can hear you, you have to have a certain level of decorum when on forums. This is like a PokeMMO library. You can go and read up on stuff on forums, but you don't act this is a club.

Okay, I am going to get involved in this now, because your idea of "professional" went way too far to fit your image of your so called "Roy Rogers Inc." Hell, you even start your comments so formal that it makes me uncomfortable and aggressive.

This game is a children's game. The group the game attracted ended up being young adults, true. But the forums is in no ways ever meant to be a library nor an office. For most of all "fun" and professionality" should be BALANCED. 

I want you think about this question that I have for you really hard now: Why do we, regular players, register to this forums? Like really? While you think about that I'm still going to spell it oult for you. We're here to stay connected. We're here to be connected to our friends and acquaintances whenever we're not playing the game. To stay in touch but like hell any of is is here to "discuss business", meaning it automatically doesn't qualify as a business nor a library because the overall group is not meant to be educated nor is "working" by being here. Only the mods are and they have a platform for their communication sepperated from ours. The forums is meant for fun, most of our subcategories are for fun. You are right that there are a few placea where we are meant to be a bit serious to have an actual discussion. And right now we are serious about the forums needing to be fun. Most of the sections we have are for connecting to others but in a very lighthearted way. Trade Corner, Competition Alley, Creative media, Multimedia, introductions for sure , and don't even think about saying that Round Table is more to educate teamless and new people what groups are out there, they are most of all for the team itself to have fun. If it was to just show and educate what teams are made they could easily just place a list of them in the game itself. Even General Discussion and suggestiom box are for us to stay connected, to give us an actual voice instead of having a business meeting where it goes like: "Idea A, yes/no?" "Yes/no" *acts on decision* it's for us to have the freedom  that we get to say what we want to say and give the arguments that come with what we think and feel. It does not automatically equal to this place being as professional as a business. We're a community. In fact, if you were to compare the forums to anything in real life it would be a country of it's own. Where we have the citizens do both having fun and a professional position when and where it's needed and the higher ups making the directions to go in. Or do you also believe that we all should sleep, work and then die as professional as possible?

1 hour ago, Bestfriends said:

Reveal hidden contents

Someone once told me that "your reality is different than my reality." That saying was quite profound to me because it means that we view things in a different light. Your reality maybe be different than BillyBob's reality. Everyone has their own way of looking at things.

Btw iirc that's a quote by Itachi uchiha who justified himself after killing his entire clan in the name of peace. I agree everyone has their own viewpoints and reasons for their actions, I just want more reasonable response to actions. If someone hides a post which took a while to write, the least a moderator could do is give explanation for their action. They could even clear their doubts as stated in the OP. A simple-" I didn't get you there" goes a long way.

//People talk about forums being polished and professional.//

I couldn't disagree more with you on that. If that's what you feel then it's cool.

//Your correct, Forums is about discussing this about the game, but not about "hey that scarf in game looks great, you can sell that for 1 million."//

Why? 

//People have different viewpoints of how much something is worth//

A forum is a place where people put their different viewpoints. That's how we get estimates. We have no trade histories ingame and just searching for all trade threads is a huge ask. Spamming in trade chat is time consuming.

//Guy A says 1 million and Guy B says 3 million, your mad at Guy A because he told you the wrong number. People have different ways of looking at things.//

That's completely fine. This is a competitive game, people get mad if someone else overvalues/undervalues things. That's not an excuse for removing it. You have moderators for that very reason.

//As for your "months without results" remark, the developers are hard at work trying to make sure Unova is at a workable state.//

Strawman right there.

My entire post was directed at the moderation of these forums -not the developers.

6 hours ago, Bishav said:

"Oh that Pokémon seems an ez 1mil to me" post removed. The value discussion post made by eggplant is outdated.

They say they will carry on the talks about it pretending to have more "important" things to discuss and then spend months without results.

This is another issue related to communication, let your playerbase know what's up. 

Way too often, interesting suggestion/community threads are locked with a "we're working on this" or "we'll think about this", but do you actually? There's no way for us to know.

More than a month without a sign that this is still being discussed/where the discussion is headed. This is an example of an important discussion going nowhere because you as a staff team "aren't able" to discuss issues with your community. 

There is a dumb number of good ideas that go down the drain, and we're not even made aware of the reasoning behind it. Look, we're clearly not asking for much on this, a reply stating that discussions are still ongoing, and a brief bullet-point summary of the points adressed in said discussion.

Might be tedious, might be a pain, might be hard to communicate with the higher-ups who actually make the decisions (there's no way for us to know if the staff team is communicating properly), but that's what you fucking signed up for.

Edited by Draekyn
21 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

I still remember when @Parke had a thread on Trade Corner named "LF Breeding Slave" and my post saying "I can be your slave" was hidden.

trade corner rules forbid offtopic shit, this isnt overmoderation imo, You could've say "hi" it would've been hidden aswell

Too much reading for the others messages

30 minutes ago, Raederz said:

trade corner rules forbid offtopic shit, this isnt overmoderation imo, You could've say "hi" it would've been hidden aswell

Too much reading for the others messages

It wasn't offtopic lmao, it's like posting "I have a Sceptile" in a thread asking for one.

Serious post time at OP:

I think the moderation has gone notably better. I think the moderation is now mostly fair and for the most part the staff knows when they should allow more free moderation (example: PSL threads). At current MMO I also wouldn't say that the unknown people only get chosen as moderators. RacheLucario, Kizhaz, Noad, Bluejim, Munya and Ronax to some extent were all players highly known in the community before becoming staff. In addition, there isn't known cases where a known player with good forum behavior wouldn't have got in. I think this issue was much bigger in the past when the staff was ran by people no one knew about and suddenly started to dictate rules everyone should follow with and people got mad. When these rules are given by someone as we feel is a "part of the community", it's easier to relate to them and follow them and I would say this is better now than before.

My main issue with current moderation is the no-word-said removal of posts, unless the posts are straight out slanderous or distasteful. Removing posts and leaving some can destroy the context of the whole situation and make people understand the whole argument in the wrong way. This is really unfair and I think has happened a few times. In this regard, I'm more happy with "remove everything or remove nothing" but removing posts should really be a thing to do in extreme cases. People have kind of understood this and I feel like sometimes members of the community have purposely gone overboard with their posts to get the whole past discussion removed, which is an unfortunate outcome. I think the best solution is to make people hurt themselves the most by looking like asses. You're not punishing people when you remove their posts. If someone posts something idiotic then that post staying on the forums and explaining their post is dumb is actually the best justice you can do for said rule breaker.

If someone makes a personal attack towards someone and that post is not removed that kinda asks for a retaliation from the attacked person. And that usually ends up in a shitstorm. So I guess in that regard I'm fine with post removals but then again we need to really make the distinction what is a personal attack and what is not. For the most part staff has understood this distinction but not always.

Oh yeah, and communication is important. Always. Staff member asking to tone down unwanted behavior is always better than just nuking the posts. If the staff wants to go up a notch, I think staff whenever they remove posts should mention that any further disputes can be discussed in a private message. Or something like that.

Edited by OrangeManiac

About selections for staff... It seems like mostly just well known players, who had been around for a while and were known and respected by players, were able to obtain a position among mods. But now that doesn't seem to be the case, because the more recent recruits mostly just answered the same handful of questions in channel chat during their time on. With just that known, I hardly see a reason to even give them CM, as they'll ultimately do the same thing, answering the same questions, until either a promotion or until resigning. I should note that they tend to stick to the same channel for the most part, and rarely use forums for anything, so you can't really get to know them much (you might not even see them at all.)

I honestly think recruits should have some sort of reputation first, just so when they're seen with a staff tag, you don't wonder "who the hell is this?" I doubt such a thing will ever happen, but it's a nice thought.

1 hour ago, Draekyn said:

Hide contents

More than a month without a sign that this is still being discussed/where the discussion is headed. This is an example of an important discussion going nowhere because you as a staff team "aren't able" to discuss issues with your community. 

fyi rules in regards to bumping changed, and were posted.

Just now, Munya said:

fyi rules in regards to bumping changed, and were posted.

Yeah I'm aware, the state of the ongoing discussion (I was just told it was still going on) on value discussion isn't made public, I do believe community input is valuable and could help you break a possible tie in the debate.

36 minutes ago, Munya said:

Why open up an old wound for something that was only being discussed saying, we thought about it but nah.

Because people might be waiting for it and then get impatient, start complaining and then everyone is annoyed. Idk, just a thought

21 hours ago, Munya said:

Maybe if you posted an actual good anime girl once in a while instead of that garbage

I've seen worse.

Spoiler

KKmNyyy.jpg

Did I ever mention I hate you the most among the mods?

Spoiler

Just kidding

Spoiler

Or am I?

Oy @Desu make me a mod. I promise I will be a good mod and be completely unbiased to everyone. After all, everyone hates me and I hate everyone. Make me a mod so I can ban

Spoiler

84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default_photo.png&s=120