[PSL 8] Week One

GG Riga, good plays from both sides

Replay : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-592102045

4 minutes ago, SweeTforU said:
252+ SpA Empoleon Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 104 SpD Hippowdon: 440-522 (104.7 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
imagine

1 - I know the risks I'm taking : 

252+ SpA Empoleon Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 342-404 (81.4 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
2 - This is the risk when you choose hydropump over surf, super powerful but kinda risky

Did anyone notice I had the Indian avatar on Showdown to represent my boy @NikhilR?

Edit:

For what its worth, this is a joke. Nik didn't coach me(even though you'd have said he did if I won anyway). He would have done a much better job than me, and I don't want my failure looking bad on him.

Edited by KaynineXL
2 hours ago, gbwead said:

That's why you don't play Hydro Pump, Fire Blast and all these plebs moves that trade accuracy for power, smh @Gunthug.

To be fair, the high profile misses stick out a lot more than the times where the extra damage matters, I'd argue the latter is more common than the former buy I don't have data or anything to back it up 

2 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

To be fair, the high profile misses stick out a lot more than the times where the extra damage matters, I'd argue the latter is more common than the former buy I don't have data or anything to back it up 

I get that logic. However, I would argue that better players do not need to rely on high risk moves to break through because they can secure wins with better teambuilding that rely less on rng ^^

3 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I get that logic. However, I would argue that better players do not need to rely on high risk moves to break through because they can secure wins with better teambuilding that rely less on rng ^^

I'd say that works when you completely outclass your opponent moreso, but when you're not too far apart skill wise which in PSL is the case for a good portion of the games, the additional damage can give that person the advantage they need.

Looking at it the other way, if you're fighting someone using low acc moves and you're not, and say they don't miss any then you're at a fairly substantial disadvantage and you're not even the one doing the risking.

3 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Nah it's not like that tbh. A lot of stuff in DPP is super bulky, so moves like Surf / Flamethrower just aren't strong enough unless you equip those pokes with orb. Hydro Pump / Fire Blast are super necessary to get those required 2hkos. It's a lot better to have a chance to kill something rather than having no chance at all. 

11 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Hahah I dk man, I think you could make the exact opposite argument - that better players can afford to take risks with higher damage moves because even with misses they can fall back on their teambuilding to bail them out