Rate My Team (OU) with phlawless

Hey what's up guys it's phlawless you may have seen me around the game. This is my first team and I want some feedback so I'm hoping I can count on you guys! Anyway the basis of this team is symmetry, split perfectly between offensive and defensive Pokemon, to continue this symmetry theme I'm hoping for one physical, special, and mixed in each of the offensive and defensive pokemon. To start let's look at the defensive lineup. 

Defensive Line-up

Calm Mind Slowbro:

Slowbro @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp. Def

Bold Nature

- Surf

- Psychic

- Calm Mind

- Slack Off

Ok we're starting off with the only pokemon currently in my possession (haha I'm poor). This is my slowbro and its everyone else's slowbro as calm mind slowbro is the gold standard for slowbro and bulky phys slowbro are the gold standard for our favorite big pink guy. Why I chose calm mind slowbro is because slowbro can sweep if he can just take hits as he calm minds, and it's good to use when you know the opponent will switch pokemon. Also, (and this is the main reason) slowbro can bulk up is already decent sp. def by using calm mind to basically make him an unkillable tank. And that's really what I want slowbro to be, a giant pink blob that is unkillable (but not chansey).

Cleric Umbreon

Umbreon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Sp. Def.
Careful Nature
- Moonlight
- Toxic
- Pursuit
- Heal Bell

I don't really know what set Umbreon uses but I'd guess it'd be something like this. So umbreon in this form is a utility, a good switch-in while also being able to use wish, that's essentially the full package for a special wall. All in all umbreon does his/her job well.

Standard Forretress

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Pin Missile
- Earthquake

So here's my lead and it isn't a very mixed option, but since slowbro has calm mind and is so bulky anyway I thought a defensive wall was best suited here. So that left me thinking about physically defensive leads, the obvious choices being Skarmory and Forretress, while although both are great pokemon I decided to go with Forretress because he/she provides rapid spin, something skarmory can't provide at all this gen (no defog). This left Forretress as the obvious choice. 

Offensive Line-up

Mixed Metagross

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire
- Meteor Mash
- Shadow Ball

This was a throw up between this and Flygon, and while flygon adds diversity to the team with a ground dragon typing, I feel metagross might be better overall for a mixed set. If you disagree tell me in the comments below. The set itself makes use of Shadow Ball instead of Signal Beam, I felt Shadow Ball added more to the table with chansey gone, as a big normal blob that is immune to ghost moves just got moved to ubers. 

Choice Band Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

It's everyone's favorite dinosaur! this one was pretty set in stone as a friend of mine said that aerodactyl might work well in a team with my boy slowbro. At one point I considered using a sweeper arcanine but I'm hesitant at the moment. Tell me what you think in the comments.

Growth Jolteon

Jolteon @ Lum Berry

Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe

- Thunderbolt

- Shadow Ball

- Hidden Power Ice

- Growth

What's an OU team without Jumpeon! Now in Growth form! I chose growth jumpeon simply because I'm just not a fan of substitute and growth seemed like a nice replacement and I didn't have a setup sweeper if you don't count slowbro. Jolteon is fun to use and is a great poke all around this gen. EDIT: I'm considering replacing this with a Sp. Atk pory2

So there's my team! leave all comments down below for criticism and other comments. Thanks for reading and have a great day!!! :)

Edited by phlawless
2 hours ago, phlawless said:

Already realizing I don't have a lead replace swampert with this bad boy

Standard Forretress

Forretress @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power Bug
- Explosion

Go with pinmissle over hp bug, thats special in Pokemmo. Looking at your team, you are weak to toxic milotic, Choiceband Heracross and growth venusaur, all super common threats.

2 hours ago, phlawless said:

Already realizing I don't have a lead replace swampert with this bad boy

Standard Forretress

Forretress @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power Bug
- Explosion

I think also worth to mention explosion got the nerfs from gen V forwards in pokeMMO (it doesnt calc the damage with the target defense halvend anymore) so can use earthquake/counter/toxic/protect/w.e u want in the 4th slot depending which ur team needs.

Why that much speed on Umbreon, did you mean SP Def instead? Also if you really want to run one to support your team I'd use one of these sets:

Wish , Protect , Pursuit , Toxic (Wish passing support)

Moonlight , Pursuit , Heal Bell , Toxic (Cleric)

I prefer Moonlight set. Umbreon already has huge setup bait issues, the Wish set gets pressured harder since you need 2 turns to heal yourself.

Also you have nothing to take Toxics outside Metagross

Example:

Umbreon switches on a special attacker, takes damage

Umbreon goes for the Wish while opponent brings SD Hera in

Umbreon either Protects and lets Hera go +2 or it switches to a Hera check (If you switch out, that will make Umbreon's job of switching into the special attacker much harder next time)

Last but not least, you defo need something for Growth Venu, if it comes on Umbreon and starts setting up, it will be annoying to try and stop it. Good partners for Umbreon are Crobat (handles Heracross too barring Rock Slide) and Tentacruel (Much better than Forretress if you're using Umbreon as the special wall, Forretress is best to pair with Pory2/Garde imo)

Edited by LifeStyle
9 hours ago, Risadex said:

I think also worth to mention explosion got the nerfs from gen V forwards in pokeMMO (it doesnt calc the damage with the target defense halvend anymore) so can use earthquake/counter/toxic/protect/w.e u want in the 4th slot depending which ur team needs.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably replace hp bug with pin missile and use earthquake instead of explosion :)

2 hours ago, LifeStyle said:

Why that much speed on Umbreon, did you mean SP Def instead? Also if you really want to run one to support your team I'd use one of these sets:

Wish , Protect , Pursuit , Toxic (Wish passing support)

Moonlight , Pursuit , Heal Bell , Toxic (Cleric)

I prefer Moonlight set. Umbreon already has huge setup bait issues, the Wish set gets pressured harder since you need 2 turns to heal yourself.

Also you have nothing to take Toxics outside Metagross

Example:

Umbreon switches on a special attacker, takes damage

Umbreon goes for the Wish while opponent brings SD Hera in

Umbreon either Protects and lets Hera go +2 or it switches to a Hera check (If you switch out, that will make Umbreon's job of switching into the special attacker much harder next time)

Last but not least, you defo need something for Growth Venu, if it comes on Umbreon and starts setting up, it will be annoying to try and stop it. Good partners for Umbreon are Crobat (handles Heracross too barring Rock Slide) and Tentacruel (Much better than Forretress if you're using Umbreon as the special wall, Forretress is best to pair with Pory2/Garde imo)

Good call! I'll use the cleric set you recommended, and consider using a tentacruel, but I don't know a good moveset for tentacruel, and aside from that if I use tentacruel and umbreon I feel I'll be more sp. def oriented which messes up the symmetry of my team :). Feel free to respond to this if you have a moveset or another suggestion.

9 hours ago, KingBowser said:

Go with pinmissle over hp bug, thats special in Pokemmo. Looking at your team, you are weak to toxic milotic, Choiceband Heracross and growth venusaur, all super common threats.

yep I was thinking the same thing when I saw pin was an egg move. Thanks for the help, but I feel like I might need a little insight on what I can do to protect against toxic milotic and choiceband hera

58 minutes ago, phlawless said:

Good call! I'll use the cleric set you recommended, and consider using a tentacruel, but I don't know a good moveset for tentacruel, and aside from that if I use tentacruel and umbreon I feel I'll be more sp. def oriented which messes up the symmetry of my team :). Feel free to respond to this if you have a moveset or another suggestion.

Can run Bold/Timid with 252 HP. Rest EVs go into Def and few for Speed to creep something that threats your team. (Example: Timid with 100 speed Evs can be good to check +speed Blazikens)

Surf , Sludge Bomb/HP Fire , Knock Off, Rapid Spin

Liquid Ooze ability

You kinda need something to cover Umbreon's weaknesses, Tenta does most of that.

1 hour ago, LifeStyle said:

Can run Bold/Timid with 252 HP. Rest EVs go into Def and few for Speed to creep something that threats your team. (Example: Timid with 100 speed Evs can be good to check +speed Blazikens)

Surf , Sludge Bomb/HP Fire , Knock Off, Rapid Spin

Liquid Ooze ability

You kinda need something to cover Umbreon's weaknesses, Tenta does most of that.

Ya know I get where your coming from and these are nice suggestions but I'd rather replace umbreon that forretress if you can help me with that, forretress has spikes and provides a lot of physical coverage, and even with good def evs tentacruel is weak to phys atks so I'd appreciate it if you could provide a replacement for umbreon if were gonna switch things up.

2 minutes ago, phlawless said:

Ya know I get where your coming from and these are nice suggestions but I'd rather replace umbreon that forretress if you can help me with that, forretress has spikes and provides a lot of physical coverage, and even with good def evs tentacruel is weak to phys atks so I'd appreciate it if you could provide a replacement for umbreon if were gonna switch things up.

Porygon2 or Gardevoir (Houndoom is gay tho)

48 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

Porygon2 or Gardevoir (Houndoom is gay tho)

lol k, I still need a cleric and gardevoir might be able to fill that, but that puts 3 psychics on the team, also i dont know the movepool for gardevoir that makes her a cleric. Thanks for the constant help!

• Mike locked this topic