Tips for a good OU team

Hello to all of you,

I have been playing pokemon for some time and played gen 1/2/3 on gameboy though not competive. I would like to do some casual fights with a nice team. I have been breeding some nice pokemons but I would like some advice from people with experience.

I already have:

Gyarados

5x31 IV

Nature: Jolly

Moves: Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Waterfall, Crunch (for now but I think Taunt might be better).

Alakazam

31 speed, 4x30 except attack

Nature: Timid

Moves: Psychic, Calm mind, signal beam, recover

Magneton:

31speed 25+ other stats

Nature: modest (magnet pull ability)

Moves: thunderbolt, hidden power grass, substitute, metal sound 

Venusaur

30/20/31/30/31/30

Nature: Calm

Moves: Giga drain, hidden power fire, sludge bomb, sleep powder

Arcanine (I doubt I could run this.. didn't know much about breeding when making this one)

30/20/30/30/30/31

Nature: modest

Moves: (no egg moves... morning sun) sunny day, solar beam, flamethrower, extreme speed. 

If possible I would like to use the first four Pokemon (possibly the arcanine aswell). I don't mind changing up the moves. I know it's nostalgia but I would like a gen 1 only team. If this would really impact the viability of the team I will accept other pokemons... 

I was thinking of cloyster (rapid spin/spikes/surf/icebeam) or Chansey. 

Thanks in advance for all your help. 

Gyara:

taunt on gyara can be good, same goes for toxic. two attacking moves + dd + utility do fairly well.

Zam:

i think recover cm zam isnt good tbh. if chansey runs aroma, wish, pro, seismic it is, but rarely seen set. once status gets used onto it its pretty useless with recover + not having hp ground or fire results in it getting snacked by meta and houndoom. dont think zams in a good spot in general right now, but thats just an opinion, not a fact.

Mag:

if you wanna run cloyster you could drop mag since cloyster doesnt mind coming in on forre or skarm. problem with cloyster is that it hardly walls anything but gyara and flygon and that the OU meta we have right now shuts it down pretty hard (venu, star, tenta, meta, hera). mag can be beneficial if you run hard hitting normal types, which you dont, so id probably rather go with forre instead of mag in your case. when running forre you gotta watch out for set up tho.

a solid gen1 spinner thats pretty decent is starmie.

Venu:

the set you are running / mentioned above is pretty bad right now (imo). its walled without too much effort and doesnt excert any pressure. if you want to run calm venu id add another source of recovery, so leech or synth. problem is other venus set up on this set and chansey doesnt fear it at all, while growth venu can pressure it. timid or modest is prefered over calm when running growth venu however.

sleep powder also is pretty rng reliant, can be good, can be terrible.

Arc9:

dont know about this one, never had a modest one. but if it was good itd be seen more often i think.

Basically what you wanna watch out for is something that can hit chansey + wallero cores, since those are pretty much everywhere. something you could add, as murci mentioned, is aero. aero is worth breeding, since its pretty good right now and transitions into the update decently as well. it hits most stuff for at least neutral dmg and can clean up lategame. definetely deserves some love.

i would also suggest getting a chansey yourself tbh. nearly 50% usage and really easy to handle, which is a plus on its own considering you´re new to competitive battling.

two helpful links to get into competitive battling: Usage and OU Builds

hope this was helpful, cheers.

Thanks for the comments.

alakazam: 

Okay so in this game Punches are physical.. Mine has hidden power bug.. Is there any sub-optimal attack that people could recommend? Maybe substitute?

Venusaur:

Damn.. I breeded this one specifically with calm nature and hidden power fire (those were sold for the highest price in GTL...)  I also EV trained it in HP and SDEF, is it better to train it in satk even with wrong nature? 

Thanks for your imput. Will breed a chansey and probably a weezing but not sure yet:)

Edited by sleepysheepy
2 hours ago, sleepysheepy said:

Thanks for the comments.

alakazam: 

Okay so in this game Punches are physical.. Mine has hidden power bug.. Is there any sub-optimal attack that people could recommend? Maybe substitute?

Venusaur:

Damn.. I breeded this one specifically with calm nature and hidden power fire (those were sold for the highest price in GTL...)  I also EV trained it in HP and SDEF, is it better to train it in satk even with wrong nature? 

Thanks for your imput. Will breed a chansey and probably a weezing but not sure yet:)

chansey just got testbanned, no need to breed one for now.

In addition to previous Pokemon I know have

Starmie 26/20/25/27/25/31 Timid (252 satk /252 speed) (Rapid Spin, Recover, Surf, Physic) 

Aerodactayl 30/31/30/18/30/31 Jolly (252 speed / 252 attack) (Double Edge (maybe earthquake?), Rock Slide, Pursuit, Aerial Ace)

Weezing: 31/20/31/31/31/31 Bold (252hp/252def) (Will-o-Wisp, Pain split, Flametrower, Sludgebomb)

Besides these I run: Venusaur (now with giga and synthesize), Gyarados, not sure: Alakazam or Magneton..

My idea was Weezing and Venusaur as tanks, Aerodactyl and Gyarados are physical Sweepers, Starmie as a special sweeper and spinner and Magneton or Alakazam as special sweeper. 

I also have the resources for one more comp pokemon, in case this team really needs another pokemon (preferable gen 1 but if needed gen 2/3)

• Mike locked this topic