[PSL 8] Uguing Thread

4 AM, can't sleep (@BlackJovi can relate) because of jet lag, so I'm just going to uguu about PSL like I always do.

The Drafting System

The drafting system is completely flawed; the assumption that the sum of the 1st pick and 16th pick is equivalent to the sum of the 7th pick and 10th pick only works in theory. Sure, 1 + 16 = 17 and 7 + 10 = 17 as well, but that logic doesn’t apply to how players are valued in PSL. Depending on their relationship with players, some managers will value the first picks more than others. For that reason, whoever ends up with the first pick is in a great bargaining position. In PSL season 7, Tor got arbitrarily the first pick and through trades was able to end up with the 5th and 9th picks: 5 + 9 = 14 < 17. That was undeniably a huge advantage. Some might believe that Tor was able to accomplish this thanks to his trading skills, but now that DoubleJ accomplished the same thing in this season, it should be quite clear that the drafting system is not fair and quite uncompetitive. It would be therefore better to either remove or rework the current drafting system.

Sign up bias is an issue that season after season fails to be addressed by the PSL administration. This season it was blatant when Nik signed up couples of minute after DoubleJ got the midseason first pick. Coolio told me himself that Nik would not sign up for midseason unless he traded the first pick to JJ. This is not uncommon and not against PSL rules either, so no one is in the wrong here. It is however very unfair and should be corrected for future seasons by locking down sign ups before any trading between managers is allowed.

We also saw Axoa signing up and claiming he would not be very active in order to end up in the team he wanted and yet has been very active every week. This doesn’t break any psl rule, but it is also quite unfair because picking Axoa is a risk for every manager except for Yubel.

It is also not right to watch players compete in tiers in which they did not sign up. Having signed up in no tiers, I was free to refuse playing for JJ since he could not force me to play in a tier in which I did not sign up. We see players like Orange signing up only in Dubs/SMOU and now playing UU/OU. We see players like Raaidn playing NU and yet not signing up in NU. We see players like DestructX signing up only in NU, but playing in UU. If a manager needs a UU player, picking DestructX would be a risk unless you have a prior relationship with him. I’m not trying accuse anyone of anything or calling people out, I just strongly believe that this is once again unfair. Players should only be able to play in the tiers they signed up in, so that managers are on an equal playing field during the auction/draft.

Extension Phobia

No extensions is the best way to ensure players can’t abuse extensions to their benefit. I get it, but sometimes shit happens; MMO players live different lifestyles, don’t have the same schedules or time zones. Sometimes, players are simply genuinely not capable of finding a right time to face off. We shouldn’t look the other way and ignore the problem with this easy “no extension” fix. We want players to fight. Extensions were exploited in the past because they were not properly regulated, but that doesn’t have to be the case. With an open discussion regarding extensions and activity calls in general, I don’t see why we could not come to a decent solution that would improve the PSL event as a whole.

Showdown tiers

Smogon tiers get way too much representation each season despite the fact that we simply don’t have enough players willing to invest the time and effort needed to compete at high level in the smogon tiers. Even though it takes less effort to play on Showdown since no grind is involved, we end up with incredibly low skill duels in these tiers each season. The good showdown players should ideally not be divided in two tiers, so that they can compete against each other.

Useful links:

PSL 8 General Thread

PSL 8 Donations Thread

PSL 8 Manager Signup Thread

PSL 8 Betting Thread

Edited by gbwead

If anything, I would let Eric stay as a manager- he didn't do THAT bad, and I really like his competitive spirit. Personally I would throw out someone else- I really don't get why someone should get 4 chances to manage out of 6 (?!) while some people who were putting effort into their applications didn't get a shot even once.

In that place, I would either put Jovi or Doc. I voted for Jovi cuz he really deserved that manager spot and I'm honestly disappointed this didn't happen.

I was in Doc's team on the other hand for one season and I know how much effort this guy puts into whatever he does, how much he cares and how huge of a competitor he is. And how hard he chokes but that's a different story

It's not like this thread or my post will change anything probably, but this one manager choice is really, really weird from my perspective and I felt like sharing my thoughts.

6 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

If anything, I would let Eric stay as a manager- he didn't do THAT bad, and I really like his competitive spirit. Personally I would throw out someone else- I really don't get why someone should get 4 chances to manage out of 6 (?!) while some people who were putting effort into their applications didn't get a shot even once.

In that place, I would either put Jovi or Doc. I voted for Jovi cuz he really deserved that manager spot and I'm honestly disappointed this didn't happen.

I was in Doc's team on the other hand for one season and I know how much effort this guy puts into whatever he does, how much he cares and how huge of a competitor he is. And how hard he chokes but that's a different story

It's not like this thread or my post will change anything probably, but this one manager choice is really, really weird from my perspective and I felt like sharing my thoughts.

Yeah I don't mean to hate but I really don't believe jj should've been picked as manager either, they all just friends I guess

3 minutes ago, Noad said:

I like Eric, I dont think he should be replaced. But I was kinda surprised Jovi wasn't picked as Manager after last season tbh. 

too bad ur not on the small council since this is obv a popularity contest 

fuck just when I was going to post this, the thread was closed, so I post it here

I think this set a bad precedent, it's getting too common players who don't speak English act like this in PSL and are not punished by that, like I speak Spanish and I learned to speak English by myself when I was only 12 years old and I don't pretend they're like that, but at least if you have a problem with the language you gotta try harder to get your matches done and if you don't then be punished by it because you signed up to play. You see players from AW like pipe, enchanteur, lkrenz they don't speak english (that well) and still you never see them missing a match because of it, they put an effort into it and I think that's what it should happen.

13 minutes ago, Arimanius said:

fuck just when I was going to post this, the thread was closed, so I post it here

I think this set a bad precedent, it's getting too common players who don't speak English act like this in PSL and are not punished by that, like I speak Spanish and I learned to speak English by myself when I was only 12 years old and I don't pretend they're like that, but at least if you have a problem with the language you gotta try harder to get your matches done and if you don't then be punished by it because you signed up to play. You see players from AW like pipe, enchanteur, lkrenz they don't speak english (that well) and still you never see them missing a match because of it, they put an effort into it and I think that's what it should happen.

I have no problem using google translate to communicate with people as long as they actually respond fairly quickly so we can make progress

@TspdLucasCisneros No hate man, we all get busy sometimes, and I don't blame you or have anything against you. Irl > mmo 

Edit : I don't think a suspension is fair on a player if it's based on activity, everyone gets busy, it's a managers job to sub players out in this situation, if Lkrenz didn't do this, Lucas had no choice 

Edited by kevola

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.