[Implemented] 'Flagging' friends in the chat box

With the growing amount of people on PokeMMO, things like trade chat and channel chat are being flooded with questions, flaming and random idiocy, so it's becoming harder to keep track of what your friends/people who you think are important say. So how about a feature where, after right clicking someone's name, you get the option to "flag" them so that their name appears a different colour in the chat box, for example red, making it much easier to read what they say without having to block countless amounts of people. You could also keep who gets flagged a secret, or give them a notification saying "____ has flagged you". Either way it's a feature used in many chat rooms and something that I think we would benefit from.

Would a lot of people still use these chats once custom chats are implemented? How do we benefit from highlighting our friends in Trade or Global? Or even Channel, for that matter. Useful, sure, but so would a lot of other small changes. It's a simple change, though, so maybe.

Then what about people like me, who would much rather go into channel chat to talk to a whole bunch of people without having to add them to my friends, and also being able to answer some questions.

It can still work because you know, you can have multiple channels selected. I'm usually on "channel" and "whisper", sometimes "global" and "trade", but it'd definitely be possible to be on "channel", "friends" and "whisper". Friends chat would then be in the higlighted color such as red.

I think instead of this, we should just get a Friend's List chat or a Party System.

This is where I don't agree. Because, the highlighting system provides all kinds of cool things. What if you want to highlight someone who isn't in your friends? What if you want to highlight only one person from your friends' list such as your brother or girlfriend, and not everyone else?

I think the highlighting system is a great idea.

But of course, the friends and party chat is an awesome idea because it allows to send messages to a customizeable group. So you don't have to talk to everyone on the channel, and you don't have to send the same message to 4 different people.

So in fact. We need both. Highlighting and friends chat.

EDIT: That's fine TastyPig. It's not exactly the same. Happens to me all the time also-

I like this idea, and it's not the same as custom/party/guild channels at all. The real use of it comes if flagging (or highlighting) someone could be done without adding the person as a friend, or in other words, without him accepting. Why? because nothing changes to that person, it just makes it more visible to you.

Let's say I think 3 o 4 people are worth reading in Channel X, but Im not their friend just becuase. I'd like to highlight these people and make them more noticeable above the bunch of trolls, noobs or whatever.

EDIT: I wrote at the same time as eggplant, and also the same concept. =P

It can still work because you know, you can have multiple channels selected. I'm usually on "channel" and "whisper", sometimes "global" and "trade", but it'd definitely be possible to be on "channel", "friends" and "whisper". Friends chat would then be in the higlighted color such as red.

This is where I don't agree. Because, the highlighting system provides all kinds of cool things. What if you want to highlight someone who isn't in your friends? What if you want to highlight only one person from your friends' list such as your brother or girlfriend, and not everyone else?

I think the highlighting system is a great idea.

But of course, the friends and party chat is an awesome idea because it allows to send messages to a customizeable group. So you don't have to talk to everyone on the channel, and you don't have to send the same message to 4 different people.

So in fact. We need both. Highlighting and friends chat.

EDIT: That's fine TastyPig. It's not exactly the same. Happens to me all the time also-

The highlighting system seems a bit redundant. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, I just only see it helping a small amount of the community. Whereas system could do just as good as the highlighting system, instead of highlighting people, add them to party. And, you can have party chat open as well as any other chat and the party chat would be I dunno, pink while channel chat is orange, global blue, etc, etc.

You at least see what I'm saying right?

--

I guess a party system would be a little bit of the came thing as a highlighting system. Unless the names you highlight never unhighlight unless prompted to.

The real use of it comes if flagging (or highlighting) someone could be done without adding the person as a friend, or in other words, without him accepting. Why? because nothing changes to that person, it just makes it more visible to you.
Party still needs to be accepted for the other person. This is only about making noticeable among the others for you, in global, normal, channel or any type of chat.

The party workaround does not do the work. Yes, that person is now with you in yet another chat group, but what he/she says still isn't more visible in other chats, such as channel.

What he said.

The friends chat won't do what the flagging will do, and the flagging won't do what the friends' chat won't do.

There shouldn't be a debate about which option should be implemented because of which one is more efficient, as they do completely different things and shouldn't be compared.

This suggestion is a very good suggestion and deserves to be implemented in my honest opinion.

The same goes for the friends chat tab. But I believe there are tons of threads about it as well, si it is being discussed over there.

But still, I think the game needs both.

• 8 months later...