[UU] Golem Speed Investments

Golem's #1 counter in the metagame right now is Meganium. With 252 Speed EV's with Jolly nature Golem would have 106 Speed. This means a Impish Meganium who is likely 252 HP, 252 DEF would get outrun by a Jolly Invested Golem. That being said, is that even worth it? Being able to outrun Golem's counter is absolutely great but at the same time, what if Meganium has some speed investment itself to just specifically counter. With how centralized Golem Vs Meganium is in UU, a Impish Meganium would have to invest into 58 points into Speed EV's to assure that it has more speed then a Jolly speed invested Golem. But how many people actually bother to invest 58 points into speed?

Is Jolly Golem really worth it then? It does force my opponent to invest into a stat they otherwise would of never needed. On the other hand that could of been stats used for Golem's bulk instead. Overall it might be useful to outrun Grumbull, Ampharos, Azumarill, Vileplum, etc. But I'm not sure what people run now these days as far as speed investment goes. 

Long story short, is max speed invested Golem overall worth it?

Edited by Eldaust
17 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

If you're running jolly golem, there's no reason not to go max speed. Speed tying other jolly golems/outspeeding some meganiums is much more useful than the very little bulk you'll gain from investing in a few hp evs. 

Oh yeah definitely. If it's not max speed Golem then it's just going to Ada+Bulk. Honestly I feel like the power of Golem right now would be more universally useful as a Speedster.

1 minute ago, Risadex said:

Jolly golem also beneficts from outspeeding uninvested milotic in OU, which almost guarantee a 2hko with EQ.

Does Golem see play in OU? I would be impressed.

Edited by Eldaust
Just now, aftershocker said:

I see Jhow run it with success, I'm sure there are others

That makes sense. A lot of discussion is going on right now if Golem should be banished to OU instead of UU. If that's the case it's likely to happen.

21 minutes ago, Eldaust said:

The real question is, how many players right now are actually running 58 Speed EV Meganium? I wish I can take a look at people's competitive Megs. LOL

All the good players do, some even more than 58. You probs wont see a random nabb using that invest

Edited by LifeStyle
  • Mike locked this topic