delete

Shout out for a well written guide. It's nice to see people give insights of their thought process of team building. There's a few points I want to give my insights about, nothing what I'm gonna say is written with "you're wrong, I'm right" type of way. This is just to give my perspective of things. I didn't expect you to misunderstand my response but there might be always that one idiot who will and the whole thread gets derailed.

Spoiler

On 18.5.2017 at 8:51 PM, FinnTheMember said:

Especially beginners having this problem and their elections end up with copying winner teams.

Same stats, same moves, same combinations. Playing against mirror is fun?

I don't like that. So i always tried to play with different pokemons and my goal was to be able to use all pokemons in this game.

Copying someone's team is mostly bad because most often you don't understand the thought process of each Pokemon selection to someone's team. As important as what your team is to have some kind of a reasoning why this specific Pokemon is used for. So not only is copying "not fun", it's usually very detrimental to your actual performance. Always having your own line of reasoning for what you want to do and what Pokemon and moveset one wants to use is needed.

Roles. In this game you can take special or physical type damages from your opponent. You can have 6 pokes in your party. 1 guard and 1 wall for taking Physical damages and 1 guard and 1 wall too for taking Special damages. and 1 physical Striker and 1 special Striker. So draw your team according to these roles.

The problem with the "roles" are that they're so arbitrary that they're almost practically non-existent. I like the fact you brought up a bit different definition of roles, compared to usual "walls, tanks, sweepers" or just "walls/sweepers" by describing each category. Regardless, it's hard to define all of those.

I like to use Bold Calm Mind Xatu as an example. It's a very powerful Calm Mind user that may just sweep unprepared teams. However, whenever I decide to use Xatu my reason to use the Pokemon are more defensive related than offensive related. It counters Scizor, it counters Hitmonlee, it can still break through certain walls and so forth. So in my mind when I bring this said Calm Mind sweeper, it's not that I bring it to be a specific role Pokemon. Another example of something similar can be for example Impish Swords Dance Scizor. It's used most as for defensive purposes but it may just sweep a team.

Beyond that, people often disagree the roles of more simple type of Pokemon. What to one is a "guard" can be a striker to another and what to one is a guard may be a wall to another. Regardless, getting too deep about this is unnecessary since I'm aware that these roles often just describe a Pokemon. Not define it. However, I would not use the roles as emphasis of a competitive guide.

Different damages. If your Wall has physical damage type moves , it's guard must have special damage type moves. (Example , Pelipper Surf - Whiscash Earthquake).

This one I disagree the most with. It makes really no practical value to have this, especially as a defensive Pokemon. What comes to offensive Pokemon I agree to some extent that it's nice that some of the offensive Pokemon hit physical damage and some of them hit special damage, therefor being able to sweep different kinds of Pokemon (in theory!). What comes to defensive Pokemon, the point of defensive Pokemon is literally to prevent opposing offensive Pokemon from tearing your team a new hole. What you should run in a defensive Pokemon bases only and entirely to what offensive Pokemon are you trying to counter and what Pokemon do you expect to switch in against you when you switch-in said guard or wall.

Start game with Guards. Your lead poke must be from guards. Why? Because guards can stay alive after taking damages and payback it with one hit knock down. I mean, they can make jobs of other roles.

Sweepers, or in your terminology "strikers" aren't necessarily bad leads either. If your striker can one-hit-KO bunch of different opponents then that makes it quite possibly one of the best possible leads. In my opinion, the best leads are ones that are hard to counter while are very likely to have a favorable match ups turn 1. Quite often this can be something that you would call a "guard" but good leads aren't always just guards.

In addition, many people lead with Spikes. And if it's a Spiker that is hard to counterlead, that Spikeslead might be the best possible option of the metagame. Lots of variables matter in terms of choosing the best lead. Putting it this simply may confuse people.

Dont use similar Guards. With this logic , you'll make a team with 2 guards, if one of them using Choice band, use different type guard at second like setup guard (ex.; Calm Mind User) Also don't use same type damage guards.

While it is often true that it's not beneficial to use two same types of "guards" because they usually get countered by the same Pokemon, I wouldn't still advise people to absolutely not do this. At one point I literally ran 3 Choice Band Pokemon in the same team because I felt as they worked the best in that current metagame and I still think that.

Again, depends what you're trying to do more than just having diversity. But I don't entirely disagree with this.

Dont use same types. Example; having more than 1 grass pokemon that able to gives you disadvantage or luckily advantage against your opponent. If you don't know what your opponent have, thats broke balance. But still u can have same type pokes. You can find sites for checking your team's weakness.  Well u can still use same type pokes if u need. But i suggest at least dont create combinations with 3 pokes which are weak against same type. Example: 3 fire pokemons in same team.

Knowledge of Meta Game. After creating a party with 6 pokes, i have a list of popular (meta) pokes that using in tier. Im thinking them against my team. And i guess this is calling "Image Training" Im thinking, what i can do against those pokes with my team etc. Well , you can check "Competition Alley" topic at forum for that.

Entirely true. By far, the most important piece of advice in the guide.

Edited by OrangeManiac

idk, I don't think it's problematic to focus your team around an specific type when you know how to cover their weakness, like having for example 3 fire pokes and 3 covers for them. I think it's even easier to build like this because it's easier to cover an specific type weakness. 

Some types are easier to counter than others tho...

7 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

This one I disagree the most with. It makes really no practical value to have this, especially as a defensive Pokemon. What comes to offensive Pokemon I agree to some extent that it's nice that some of the offensive Pokemon hit physical damage and some of them hit special damage, therefor being able to sweep different kinds of Pokemon (in theory!). What comes to defensive Pokemon, the point of defensive Pokemon is literally to prevent opposing offensive Pokemon from tearing your team a new hole. What you should run in a defensive Pokemon bases only and entirely to what offensive Pokemon are you trying to counter and what Pokemon do you expect to switch in against you when you switch-in said guard or wall.

Hello Orange. Well you can be right. Hmmm how i can explain what i think.. Example, (in a scenario with this guide) you have def guard with physical damage, your guard having trouble against a def wall with physical damage, and if u stay against it, your damage will be useless. And if your wall is phy damage user too, there is nothing you can change. Okay nevermind. I don't know to explain myself :S

Sweepers, or in your terminology "strikers" aren't necessarily bad leads either. If your striker can one-hit-KO bunch of different opponents then that makes it quite possibly one of the best possible leads. In my opinion, the best leads are ones that are hard to counter while are very likely to have a favorable match ups turn 1. Quite often this can be something that you would call a "guard" but good leads aren't always just guards.

In addition, many people lead with Spikes. And if it's a Spiker that is hard to counterlead, that Spikeslead might be the best possible option of the metagame. Lots of variables matter in terms of choosing the best lead. Putting it this simply may confuse people.

Yeah lead strikers very popular as spikers. But yeah my guide for making everything simple for beginners x) Thats why i said maybe they can develop this later. But choosing a guard type pokemon as a lead which counters tier's spikers and popular striker leads will be successfull.

While it is often true that it's not beneficial to use two same types of "guards" because they usually get countered by the same Pokemon, I wouldn't still advise people to absolutely not do this. At one point I literally ran 3 Choice Band Pokemon in the same team because I felt as they worked the best in that current metagame and I still think that.

Again, depends what you're trying to do more than just having diversity. But I don't entirely disagree with this.

Yeah having 2 Choice band guards and 1 swift, 1 setup striker works too. But mine is just a suggestion. They can change it due to tier they played.

Shout out for a well written guide.

Thanks x) Yeah as u said , there can be some points which open to discussion. But this guide is just for beginners. Giving too many infos can make them confuse too. Weather teams, defensive teams, offensive teams etc.. So i tried to make it simple and giving them only 1 way while creating combinations which helps to player to choose easily their pokemons before battles.

7 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I think it's even easier to build like this because it's easier to cover an specific type weakne

Oh yeah team building starts like this. But when u tried to cover weakness, there will be 5-6 walls teams. Coz there are too many different types and you can't cover all of them. Example: Pelipper has Rock and Electric weakness. And Donphan covers these. But Kabutops can use Rock and Water moves which can be super effective to both of them. So when u start to think all covers, teams become everywhere wall.

Actually fun is start there. You can't cover all weakness. This game about luck. And waiting to see your opponent's lead , isn't that moment exciting ?! Thats why we love pokemon. Too many pokemons, too many options, too many weird posibilities which we can meet. Well there can be some people who doesn't accept RNG factor. But when u started to battle, the lead pokemons give someone an advantage. Even this is a luck factor , counter possibility of your first pokemon.

On 5/18/2017 at 1:51 PM, FinnTheMember said:

Example with random pokes: Chimecho - Pelipper - Primeape - Exploud - Mantine - Mr.Mime

Chimecho: Def Guard -Special Damage (Calm Mind Setupper)

Relicanth: Def Wall- Physical Damage (Toxic User)

Exploud: Spdef Guard- Physical Damage (Choice Band User)

Mantine: Spdef Wall- Special Damage (Toxic User)

Primeape: Physical Sweeper (Life Ball)

Mr.Mime: Special Sweeper ( Swift Choice Band)

u jouk me?

Just now, trojanxp said:

Still don't understand anything, I suck at PvP.

Anyways, hey, when're you going online? I need someone to invite me to the new team.

No worries. I'll give you a quick summary: PVP = All about luck and you must hit for win. So just be sure that you showed your best punch to your opponent. You'll be satisfied xD

I'll be online in a minute.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.