[PSL 8] Donations Thread - Poll Added for Tiers

Rule Changes for PSL 8  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Should Doubles be BO1 or BO3?

2. 2. Would you rather see 8 tier lineups or 10 tier lineups?

3. 3. What tiers would you like to see the most?

34 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

In most American sports, worse teams get higher draft picks in the next season, but since PSL is fairly independent season to season, as teams aren't the same every season, it gave the "bad" teams a bit more of an advantage still. 

Worse teams get higher draft the following season?

How does that make sense when comparing to our PSL because losing in the current season gives you advantages in the current season, not the following one.

I'm not into american sports, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm understanding it correct, that's just silly, no?

Edited by KaynineXL
30 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

I've learned to accept it, just as a masculine father learns to one day accept his gay, effeminate son. 

I assume ur talking about kay here

9 minutes ago, DarylDixon said:

fuck you all, vote 7 gen ou

no u dad :v 

4 minutes ago, yangsam said:

pls just 8 tiers, I thought it's called player "super" league, only super players can join this event
every matches should be hyped, imo some players without passion, lazy to schedule matches and even just get on and grab random teams
don't even deserve to play.

OU1

OU2

UU

NU

Doubles (bo3)

LC

Showdown (Sun/Moon OU)

Showdown (DPP OU)

??

8 Tiers 10 teams, we had the signups for it last season and the top 6 moving on still works great in a 10 team ladder. Problem might be with extra weeks (also whoever mentioned starting a week on wednesday ending on Tues back in psl7, add pls)

I completely agree with @gbwead about the draft too, his points aside it's also not as hype as seeing low credit players get awsome win streaks or shit tier managers overpay on plebs in the begining...cough.

Reguarding bo3, honestly as much as it makes it more competitive, why is doubles the only tier with this privilege? Bo3 would make every tier more competitive technically but it just makes matches drag on and weeks take longer. If Doubles gets boe I feel all tiers should, and nobody wants to watch bo3 OU.

4 minutes ago, Kizhaz said:

8 Tiers 10 teams, we had the signups for it last season and the top 6 moving on still works great in a 10 team ladder. Problem might be with extra weeks (also whoever mentioned starting a week on wednesday ending on Tues back in psl7, add pls)

I completely agree with @gbwead about the draft too, his points aside it's also not as hype as seeing low credit players get awsome win streaks or shit tier managers overpay on plebs in the begining...cough.

Reguarding bo3, honestly as much as it makes it more competitive, why is doubles the only tier with this privilege? Bo3 would make every tier more competitive technically but it just makes matches drag on and weeks take longer. If Doubles gets boe I feel all tiers should, and nobody wants to watch bo3 OU.

actually cough, we did a wednesday-tuesday arrangement back in psl5 for the first time ever iirc. They call me the wednesday-tuesday pioneer in some circles

10 minutes ago, yangsam said:

yeye, managers get ready for some players' shitty attitude and host get ready for shit loads of inactive decisions.

happy end of story 

Lol. There were far more inactivity calls in all of the seasons before the two I hosted. 

37 minutes ago, Kizhaz said:

(also whoever mentioned starting a week on wednesday ending on Tues back in psl7, add pls)

yea it was mentioned in earlier seasons but I mentioned it in the PSL7 thingy

I think it would be beneficial to start the week on Wednesday so after the weekend,

managers still have time to make a substitution in case so they dont get activity losses

2 hours ago, yangsam said:

pls just 8 tiers, I thought it's called player "super" league, only super players can join this event
every matches should be hyped, imo some players without passion, lazy to schedule matches and even just get on and grab random teams

What yang said.

I said this when I lost PSL finals but I'll say it again, PSL should be about only the best playing. This alone gives more value to a person getting bought and also more prize money. When I was at Komalas I pretty much carried my team to victory and it could be done so because I had good teammates who showed a massive amount of interest, so instead of me having to reach out to them, it was vice versa. I wasn't able to do that last season because I was mostly busy but my team did a great job of getting to the finals. Anyone who was active for last season can tell you how much Osuki, Lkrenz, Doc put the whole team on their back in terms of leadership. Personally speaking, I'm fucking done with carrying. As someone who played MMO tiers for PSL, it makes no sense to grind and breed new shit when an uninterested teammate can just easily undo all that effort. It makes no sense for a player to perform a manager's duties and I felt this happened to a large extent last season. As long as there are 80 players in the next PSL, that's 32 extra bad players you're unnecessarily buying (assuming 6 teams 8 tiers). I don't even want to begin to start on how much this can affect team morale. Last truth bomb, PSL is all hype for the first 2 weeks after the auction, but after that the hype dies down and ppl will be like I can't wait for this to be over so that I can quit.

Maybe if there was a better form of recognition, it could motivate the players more. I guess I'm mostly speaking about this in relation to my SPL experience because getting drafted + winning that trophy has gotten me quite famous. Having that red trophy makes me feel really exclusive and lets me know that I have done something that others haven't been able to do so in years. But the best feeling about winning it is winning it with the right people. These are guys I've shared quite a bond with and if any of you stop by the SPL finals thread and have a look at the shoutouts,  you will get a glimpse of what I felt for those 3 months. That's honestly what PSL should be like.

2 hours ago, Kizhaz said:

8 tiers and 10 teams will most likely increase the number of players and would increase the length of the event by another 2 weeks, for a total of 9 weeks + 3 weeks of playoffs, which is not entirely favorable at this time. 

As for the bo3, doubles is a fair amount different compared to the singles tiers. Doubles is relatively more fast paced, more RNG based, and more matchup based imo, thus making it a decent candidate for having a best of three format, but OU/UU/NU are none of these things really. They are all slower paced, which would result in 2 1/2 hour - 3 hour match sets, which is very difficult to schedule for. RNG also plays less of a role due to the tiers being slower paced and there is only one pokemon out on a side at a time. 

2 hours ago, yangsam said:

Although I agree that ideally PSL should be for the "super"/elite, and we should somewhat strive for what Smogon's SPL is, a gathering of the top elite players, where you need to prove yourself before you can even be considered to be drafted for it, but unfortunately, this is Pokemmo with a much smaller playerbase and not as many dedicated players. A smaller number of total players would motivate people to try more leading up to the auction/draft, but after that, the motivation will likely drop again, since they are in the event now. For now, I haven't decided on whether it will be 8 tiers or 10 tiers yet. 

@gbwead

I can't even begin to describe how much I hated the trashy draft system of last season. Plz never again!! If the draft system was to return tho, here are the changes that I believe are necessary to ensure PSL remains a fair competition:

1. The draft order should absolutely not be arbitrarily decided by luck. This is dumb af. The assumption that pick #1 + pick #16 is equal to pick #8 + pick #9 is utterly ridiculous. Don't we have anough RNG in this game already? Why would we want the draft order to be determined by luck? 

To fix this, I suggest that the 8 managers - with 100k each for the auction - bid for the draft picks. They don't bid for a player here, they would just bid for the picks. I believe this is more fair since managers can themselves determine the value of the picks instead of arbitrary luck deciding for them. Furthermore, last season, the weird tradable picks dynamic didn't make any sense, but if the managers were to valuate the picks by biding on them then it would make sense.

2. The PSL sign ups must be closed before anything regarding the picks happen. Last season, there was some fishy sign ups that happened right after some managers got the picks they wanted.

As for the selected tiers for PSL 8, I think it is better to select those tiers after the sign ups and not before. Let the players sign up for whatever they want and then decide what are the most popular tiers and the ones where there will be the most competition.

As for Doubles Bo1 vs Bo3, I think Bo3 is preferable if the players can't switch teams between duels. Doubles is enough of a shit tier already, please don't force the new comers to teambuild 3 teams each week. We don't need Doubles to be more exclusive than it already is.

Your number one suggestion to the draft system pretty much invalidates the whole point of the draft. It is just a very indirect form of an auction and would accomplish nothing.

8b7ba7eaac74b41acc30028185d4cc63.png

The top 8 draft picks all performed fairly well and I think it's fairly safe to say, in an auction setting, there wouldn't be that much price variation between them, assuming they all went during the beginning of an auction when managers are more reckless with credits, which is why I considered giving all the draft picks (first round, if we do more than one round) the same value, allowing for trades, or just allow trades on them without putting an arbitrary value on them, and just use common sense on what trades should be allowed or not.

Your number 2 suggestion is something I was already planning on doing.

I would prefer to have a good idea of what tiers will be played before player sign ups start, otherwise people will sign up with the false hope of playing some tier and then it turns out that tier is no longer part of PSL, which will either cause those people to quit out of PSL or to lose motivation after getting drafted into a team, which is less than ideal. Obviously if LC is a chosen tier for PSL and then there are only 12 sign ups for it, then it would most likely get canned for another tier.  

48 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

Maybe if there was a better form of recognition, it could motivate the players more. I guess I'm mostly speaking about this in relation to my SPL experience because getting drafted + winning that trophy has gotten me quite famous. Having that red trophy makes me feel really exclusive and lets me know that I have done something that others haven't been able to do so in years. But the best feeling about winning it is winning it with the right people. These are guys I've shared quite a bond with and if any of you stop by the SPL finals thread and have a look at the shoutouts,  you will get a glimpse of what I felt for those 3 months. That's honestly what PSL should be like.

Nikbae please, I got you all dank ass sigs.

5 hours ago, BurntZebra said:

The plan was going to be OU x 2, UU x 2, NU x 2, Doubles, LC, DPP, SM OU. Depending on LC sign ups, might just get changed to OU3 again

I feel like SM OU will be just like PSL7's VGC, watching players just signing up for it to get drafted without actually having played it before, which leads to stealing teams from Smogon threads and using them poorly. My reason to believe this is mostly just by looking at The Pokemon Showdown Thread, you can see people only post replays from either DPP OU or Gen7 randoms because that's honestly what most of MMO's playerbase only focus on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.