Make Sweet Scent Work During Rain

FuzzyRegirock

Question

9 answers to this question

Im pretty sure this is a canon mechanic from the vanilla pokemon games.  And, as you know, the devs try to follow as many canon mechanics as possible.  Which is likely why they havent changed this yet or wont. 

The ironic part is that rain IRL increases your sense of smell. 

Edited by Xatu
1 hour ago, Xatu said:

The ironic part is that rain IRL increases your sense of smell. 

The concept of the move is that the species in question releases some scented spores into the air, attracting wilds nearby to it.

in the rain the spores would be ineffective, as they would just be pettered out by the rain.

I'm not intending to address the suggestion, just thought I'd point out the initial reasoning.

4 hours ago, Darkshade said:

The concept of the move is that the species in question releases some scented spores into the air, attracting wilds nearby to it.

in the rain the spores would be ineffective, as they would just be pettered out by the rain.

I'm not intending to address the suggestion, just thought I'd point out the initial reasoning.

Yeah that makes sense logically.  I was mainly referring to the fact the move is called "Sweet Scent" besides the spore aspect.  Like how when it rains in the city and you can immediately smell the asphalt. 

20 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Yeah that makes sense logically.  I was mainly referring to the fact the move is called "Sweet Scent" besides the spore aspect.  Like how when it rains in the city and you can immediately smell the asphalt. 

smeel good? last i smelt rain it smelt like some nasty ass fish.

1 minute ago, ZackChurch said:

smeel good? last i smelt rain it smelt like some nasty ass fish.

Haha well there must have been something rotting around you man...  Idk... maybe you discovered a dead body or something

Sweet Scent not working certain times of day is so stupid, any way you look at it. I think the most frustrating it gets when you're banking on EVing a certain Pokemon x amount of hours before an official only to see that you're shit out of luck because it's raining. It's not like there's a huge variety of EV spots anyway and the worse is the fact that this EV process can now take multiple times of the amount of time you expected it to take. Often you could end up just "lol fuck this game" and leave your comps un-EVd and not join the tournament you planned of raising your comps for.

I mean, all of this is a problem as long as we have to EV the Pokemon with the most tedious way possible by jumping into the grass to kill innocent wild Pokemon for 126 times.

8 hours ago, Xatu said:

Rain does not "increases your sense of smell." if this was a truth you would smell everything better, yourself, your friends, flowers and not only specific earthy smell of ground. The smell is partially plant origin but it's connected with water management during drought and not with luring insects/animals

9 hours ago, Toupi said:

Rain does not "increases your sense of smell." if this was a truth you would smell everything better, yourself, your friends, flowers and not only specific earthy smell of ground. The smell is partially plant origin but it's connected with water management during drought and not with luring insects/animals

Whilst your comment pertaining to the origin of the earthy smell that is associated with rain is true, what's quite interesting is that humid conditions (not necessarily specific to rain) actually do improve your sense of smell. Volatile chemicals, i.e. those that produce an odor, are carried to our olfactory receptors much more efficiently when there is a higher proportion of water vapour in the air :]