[PokeMMO] DoubleJ Edition

DoubleJ

Question

21 answers to this question

To me our main issue right now boils down to the fact that automated tournaments are not interesting at all, regardless of the prize

There isn't much difference between tournaments these days, when all is done every one of them is just a bracket to be opened, looked at, closed and forgotten. As a direct consequence, the fame associated with winning a tournament has become short-lived and less important

In general, and myself included, most older players that knew what it was like to play silph co. tourneys on a regular basis react to a new automated tournament thread as they should: "why bother?"

It's because non-automated tournaments had a specific setting (wasn't always silph co.), a specific audience (zeb spamming calcs just to be yelled at), a specific story, that they were interesting and that people bothered to play

Automated tournaments save a lot of time and effort, but to me they lack soul and slowly water down player interest

Why not, in addition to what JJ is proposing, slip in the schedule a few non-automated tournaments?

Pretty much everything JJ said is true.

It's really hard to be hyped for anything nowadays. We need an update.

As for the matchmaking system, the changes proposed would help.

I was wondering, what if the queue cooldown/timer gets removed and we can just play open ranked.

Just let each player bet 2000 like JJ says and winner gets 4000 so there's no inflation.

Also wipe the ranks each month and then go by what JJ said.

One last thing: We also need a change in the way how the ELO is calculated. It's literally "play to get high rank". I see a bunch of trashlords with <55% winrate in top 10-30 when there are actual good players with higher winrate and just with less games but still an adequate amount at spot 40.

It also tilts me how then those exact people use it as bragging rights. If only someone was able to lift non-physical things.

Spoiler

Like IQ.

Edited by Tranzmaster

From what I've seen, I definitely agree that certain aspects need to be revamped. Personally -

• Bring back the old classic tourneys but instead of Silph CO. certain players can choose on different locations (It will make it interesting, personally I find it boring always in one location)
  • Although controversial, increase the prize money from $1,000,000 to $2,000,000. It will get players to become more motivated and invest in more comps
  • Promote more higher prize / tier shinies (Again, controversial, but with Gen 5 releasing in the future this could be ideal to bring more players in)
  • Like DoubleJ said wipe the leaderboard, but the winners of each leaderboard month compete with each other in 3 tiers for an exclusive prize?
  • Finally, introduce a Hall of Fame location on MMO I recommended a while ago to promote players achievements, inform players who don't use the game on the current top players and to promote new players into entering the comp scene and having an achievement to aim for.

If automated tourneys were very successful, there would not be several ones which aren't filling up. (Timezones aren't an excuse as we are global to many players)

It gets to the point where except for seasonals, the only tourneys to be hyped for are PSL and the (now) World Cup.

JJ, always there to make me feel like logging in again. 

I mean, all the freaking tournaments are already done once i come back home at around 6pm CDT.

There are no freaking tournaments on weekends.

NU and UU matchmaking is dead af.

And finally PSL is rip af, WC is too slow that I don't feel any hype toward that, been looking for freaking Pinklabel for 2 weeks, and will probably have to wait more for the next stages to play a single match.

So yes, someone please stand up and host PSL8, we need to resurrect the Hype. Ready to donate anytime.

20 minutes ago, Lazaro23 said:

JJ, always there to make me feel like logging in again. 

I mean, all the freaking tournaments are already done once i come back home at around 6pm CDT.

There are no freaking tournaments on weekends.

NU and UU matchmaking is dead af.

And finally PSL is rip af, WC is too slow that I don't feel any hype toward that, been looking for freaking Pinklabel for 2 weeks, and will probably have to wait more for the next stages to play a single match.

So yes, someone please stand up and host PSL8, we need to resurrect the Hype. Ready to donate anytime.

What this really says is that this game needs PSL going on 24/7

35 minutes ago, Torinnnnn said:

What this really says is that this game needs PSL going on 24/7

No im just saying it's not even worth it for someone with the same timezone as me to login anymore, for the reasons I mentioned above ^

Honestly, even if it were just one silph co. event a month,there would at least be something to look forward too. Perhaps they could do something along the lines of reserving gen 4 / 5 shinies for live tournaments? Certainly would make them more hype. 

Just because you invest a lot of time into this shiny new automated system, doesn't mean it's better.

There are some great things about it, but for me, if it wants to really be successful, you need to merge it with our old Silph Co. we used to know and love.

Have a character at our usual location inside silph co where you register maybe, place all battles along the tables so we can see at a glance who are fighting. This will create spectators and give the place some atmosphere.

Edited by KaynineXL
18 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

So what do?

We need HYPE, because right now there isn't any. How do we bring the HYPE? With the collective involvement of staff and devs. Since we've tested the "leaderboard tournaments" for like what, 4 months now, I think it's time we put them into action in an appropriate way. How do we do this? Well as I requested in the Best of 2017 thread:

What I want to see:

1. Wipe the leaderboards and everyone's records
  2. Increase the ranked buy-in to 2k BP
  3. Offer weekly cash prizes to the Top 10 players, awarded every Monday 
  4. Create a monthly 64-man leaderboard tournament and host it in Silph Co
  5. Include a decent prize for the leaderboard tournament with the option of customizable IVs for hidden power

I think your on to something but let me give you my thoughts.

Re #1:  No, No, and NO.

>> Trust me DoubleJ you do not want to be playing vs. ~500-575 ELO players every month...  If you want to truely understand what I am talking about here just create an alt with 500 ELO and start doing ranked.  It won't be fun for someone like you.

Re #2: I disagree here as well.  I think the BP system as is, is actually really good.  A dedicated PvP player who plays and wins a lot can net ~10mil /week in the equivilent of BP.  This of course, requires you play at a high level, win a lot, and also understand the pokemmo economy.  I dont think increasing the barrier to entry (double bp requirements) will really help us much.

Re #3: IMO from a financial motivation aspect... thsi isnt a good idea, however, its worth a try to get the format more competitive.

Re #4:  I really like the concept of this.  Essentially using ranked match making as a "gateway" to more prestigious tournaments.  I think this is the best idea yet.  If someone is unable to get into the top 100 on the ou leader board they have no business even signing up for any tournament IMO.

Re #5:  The shiney prizes as is are meh IMO... if your playing to win at a high level do you really want to use 2x31, 4x25?  If the prizes are untradeable might as well make them 2x31 4x25+ customizable hidden power for every single tourney, hell make them 6x31 i say.

My own idea that I would really like:

"Pre-registration" for tournaments.  The thing that turns me off the most about officials is that I often don't get in.  I have been knocked out of officials by FAR and large the most by the registration window.  I can find no downside to giving ranked players a "5 minute" per-registration window for officials.  This would give incentive to good players to play ranked.  (if your good at ou you can go from 500 ELO to ~625 easily in a week, no excuses) and also increase the competitiveness of officials.

Don't take this as a response from "staff". Just my opinion and stuff.

So I actually agree with some of the things that you said JJ, I do agree that matchmaking could be more fun by adding those things. Regarding the silph co tournaments. As someone who has spectated and entered them back in the day I can definitly say myself that those are way more enjoyable. But we cannot forget the fact that back then 32 player tournaments were standard, I believe some 64 mans were held in Silph aswell on a later date but not quite sure about that. Anyway OU tournaments fill with a 128 man bracket. Don't get me wrong but I don't know how we are able to fit 128 people(64 matches) into Silph co. Ofcourse you said yourself they can be 64 man tournaments which would obviously work a little better. But that way a lot of people wouldn't get in. On top of that a lot of players don't use the forums that reguarly and could potentially miss out on these events. Automated tournaments being less fun? Fair enough. Them being way more effecient and easier for players? Ofcourse, this is why they were made.

So why not make the automated officials more enjoyable? Have some kind of Tournament chat or whatever which can be used when an official is going which everyone can partake in. In my opinion this would somewhat bring back the hype from silph co tournaments, while still having the automated tournaments as the main way of doing officials. Only con to this which I could think off is that staff has another chat to moderate.

4 hours ago, NikhilR said:

All of this "non fun" part about automated tournaments can be solved if the players are transported to silph co for battling. I don't know if that is impossible but it would still give the feel of a silph tournament with the normal chat and spectators.

Exactly, the only thing missing from tournaments is the spectators being in the same location to discuss games. It sounds so small, but makes a huge difference.

@Desu@Kyu If you can figure out a method to do that, you might just have your perfect tournament feature.

Edited by KaynineXL
On 30/04/2017 at 7:20 PM, DrCraig said:

Improving the monthly doesnt make up for the automated trash

You can tie your shoes but the rest of your outfit is still ugly homie

What if u tie ur shoes and u got no clothes on

How can my outfit be ugly then

perhaps if spectators are watching your match their toon shows up on your screen some how... pair this with having an "official" channel just for matches and i would think everyone wins.

I do agree that the "social aspect" of the silph co tourneys is pretty cool.  But the extra time sink inbetween matches and registration and stuff is a big downside imo. 

either that or just re purpose some broken/non-used battle frontier location and teleport toons there for battle and spectators can walk their manually some how to watch and "Seem near by"

There has to be a way to blend the best of both worlds.

On 27/4/2017 at 6:28 PM, Tranzmaster said:

One last thing: We also need a change in the way how the ELO is calculated. It's literally "play to get high rank". I see a bunch of trashlords with <55% winrate in top 10-30 when there are actual good players with higher winrate and just with less games but still an adequate amount at spot 40.

Reveal hidden contents

Like IQ.

Actually the general % winrate doesnt reflect how good is a person in a point of time. If a person has a high ELO is because he/she is a good player. there are cases of people who started ranked without an idea of how works an specific tier (for example me in NU tier), then they improve and get on high possition of Leaderboard beacause they battle like 50 battles and win between 80%-100% of them. It would be better a monthly reset of the leaderboard than your idea.

Edited by soyhector