Neopets Feature: Donation Tree (Pokemon Adoption Center)

Xatu

Question

So for those who have played neopets you will automatically know what i am talking about.  For those who havent heres the jist of things:

In neopets there is limited inventory space so players often throw away old, cheap, unwanted items.  In our MMO a comparable aspect of this is our box space.  Pretty much, we would donate our useless trash mons that wouldve been deleted or listed for 1k on gtl anyway.  Then players who are newer or have very little funds can claim them for no price at all.  It would simply be a fun little feature to check on every now and then and maybe even "snipe" from.  I find mr fujis house to be a suitable area for this. 

15 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, PlazmaX said:

Or u could stop being lazy and just release your trashmons

This is where they would go in lieu of releasing them.  Shouldn't take any more or less time to do so. 

I can see this becoming a situation where this Pokemon Adoption Center will become overloaded with Pokemon, similar to how the GTL is now. And if new players get a hold of this system, they will just release any pokemon regardless of their IVs, which would detour experienced players from buying on GTL to just snatching up Pokemon for free. This would have a huge effect on the economy as less things would be selling on GTL. This system can also be abused because players can mail all their money to an alt and snatch up decent pokemon for free then resell them on GTL. I see many problems with this suggestion.

6 hours ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

I can see this becoming a situation where this Pokemon Adoption Center will become overloaded with Pokemon,

Sure this would happen but its fine really.  Better in the adoption center rather than on the GTL... Right?

And if new players get a hold of this system, they will just release any pokemon regardless of their IVs, which would detour experienced players from buying on GTL to just snatching up Pokemon for free.

Sure but these numbers would be quite low.  And the adoption center isnt just for n00b players.  Like the "snipe" comment I made in the OP.  It could be a quite fun time-killer to just check out the adoption center for some gud stuff.  In turn these mons would likely be used as breeders or made into comps, benefiting the economy. 

This would have a huge effect on the economy as less things would be selling on GTL.

Idk how you came to this conclusion but im pretty certain 99% of everything in there would be garbage.  You know.  Like the hundreds of 1.2k digletts spamming up the GTL.  Also the things that are decent would end up being sniped and relisted anyway, changing very little in the entire listing process, besides the user who listed the mon.

This system can also be abused because players can mail all their money to an alt and snatch up decent pokemon for free then resell them on GTL. I see many problems with this suggestion.

Im pretty sure catching wilds would be more efficient than that.  Or breeding.  Or alt-running since were talking about alts. 

I see problems with this. 
There are 2politics in posting pokemons on GTL after hunting:
-release worthless pokemons and post only ones that have a chance to sell now or later
-post even the worthless because you risk little if they dont sell but they give you pocket money to cover pokeball expences OR it's againts your nature to getting rid of something where there is a chance to earn a little.

Donating pokemon is very similar to releasing it(if we are taking donator point of view).

2nd group wont do it because they prefer to risk and earn something.

1st group i guess prefer to release worthless mons on go to not clog up PC or just release instead of going extra mile to "release" it in specific place.
New feature does not allign with any of aforementioned group.

Ofc there are invidual cases of ppl who like to just help others. The only benefit i can see is new players might be lucky enough to get pokemon that is not present in story they are currently getting through or getting mon that is present in that region but they get it much earlier. Let's face it, they wont get some cool pokemon like 2nd gen starters, Whismur and maybe Wingull(if they are lucky) is best what they could receive from this system. When i was starting in PokeMMO I had mons in my team that i could not obtain that quickly under normal circumstances and i just bought them from Trade channel. Ppl getting through story have money for buying trash pokemons if they want to. I dont see better way to spend money in PokeMMO when you are just newbie who played pokemon when he was young and like to spam Earthquake at everything. 

Im afraid this feature requires work to implement but does make PokeMMO better game/place to be in. If you like warm feeling in your heart you can just fly to area between starting location and 2nd and give those mons to random guys without a bike and wish them to have a nice day.

16 hours ago, Xatu said:

Sure this would happen but its fine really.  Better in the adoption center rather than on the GTL... Right?

Sure but these numbers would be quite low.  And the adoption center isnt just for n00b players.  Like the "snipe" comment I made in the OP.  It could be a quite fun time-killer to just check out the adoption center for some gud stuff.  In turn these mons would likely be used as breeders or made into comps, benefiting the economy. 

Idk how you came to this conclusion but im pretty certain 99% of everything in there would be garbage.  You know.  Like the hundreds of 1.2k digletts spamming up the GTL.  Also the things that are decent would end up being sniped and relisted anyway, changing very little in the entire listing process, besides the user who listed the mon.

Im pretty sure catching wilds would be more efficient than that.  Or breeding.  Or alt-running since were talking about alts. 

Less things would be selling on GTL because more things would be gotten in the adoption center (sniping wise). And no it wouldn't be better on the adoption center because the bottom line is if no one wants it, it won't be sold or be taken. And you can't assume that 99% of the stuff would be garbage in the adoption center because as I said, noobs will be using it. Also if sniping from this is being encouraged in this suggestion, then very few people will be there to snipe on GTL, making it even fuller than before. Also the point of making a suggestion is to bring about change, you can't just say "well they will just be sniped and relisted on GTL anyways". This just adds an extra unnecessary step to the process of Pokémon flipping. I see this as being nothing more than a landfill for unwanted Pokémon, it's better that they are just deleted entirely instead of taking up even more of the server's resources. While most of GTL is landfill anyways, the players selling them are hoping to make money off of them, not just giving them away.

On 4/27/2017 at 5:53 PM, FuzzyRegirock said:

Less things would be selling on GTL because more things would be gotten in the adoption center (sniping wise).

Ok well we are just going in circles here but I will reiterate my previous comment on this.  This would actually increase sales on the GTL.  Less garbage would be on there spamming it up, and also whatever "snipes" that are gotten from the Adoption Center would likely be relisted on the GTL.  IE:  High Iv mons, or mons bred with solely donation mons. 

And no it wouldn't be better on the adoption center because the bottom line is if no one wants it, it won't be sold or be taken.

Yeah thats totally wrong.  All of the mons would be taken.  This is because people will always need random trash breeders for gender swaps and shit like that.  Just because its "free" that will make people take it.  People love free shit. 

And you can't assume that 99% of the stuff would be garbage in the adoption center because as I said, noobs will be using it. Also if sniping from this is being encouraged in this suggestion, then very few people will be there to snipe on GTL, making it even fuller than before.

Ok well having 2 places to snipe doesnt mean people wont use the GTL.  The adoption center will have maybe 1% of the volume of mons that are on the GTL.  Having 2 places to snipe gives us extra stuff in do in an increasingly boring MMO with few things to do.  You simply can't argue that having more things to do is bad.  We need more little things like this to give the MMO more charm and more MMO-type features. 

Also the point of making a suggestion is to bring about change, you can't just say "well they will just be sniped and relisted on GTL anyways". This just adds an extra unnecessary step to the process of Pokémon flipping.

Once again its just something to do.  Extra steps are great!  That means we are not just bored, afk.  It would simply be something you check every now and then inbetween battles/farming etc. 

I see this as being nothing more than a landfill for unwanted Pokémon, it's better that they are just deleted entirely instead of taking up even more of the server's resources. While most of GTL is landfill anyways, the players selling them are hoping to make money off of them, not just giving them away.

They already are giving them away though.  Thousands of trash mons are released every day probably.  You might not care about them but maybe 28 in some stats is good enough for others or other similar situations. 

22 minutes ago, Matoka said:

Or why not just implement the equivalent of Wonder Trade, but each time you do it there is a small fee to remove cash from the server, say 250$ each time

WT is great for the format that is Vanilla pokemon.  It wouldnt really work for a MMO format though.  The reason being because it would pretty much always be trading trash for trash.  The reason why this Donation Tree in Neopets (and here) works so well is because people already were going to throw away the trash items (in our case mons).  This is because of things like limited inventory space.  So while people are at it...  They may as well contribute said trash to a new gameplay mechanic. 

Just now, Xatu said:

WT is great for the format that is Vanilla pokemon.  It wouldnt really work for a MMO format though.  The reason being because it would pretty much always be trading trash for trash.  The reason why this Donation Tree in Neopets (and here) works so well is because people already were going to throw away the trash items (in our case mons).  This is because of things like limited inventory space.  So while people are at it...  They may as well contribute said trash to a new gameplay mechanic. 

People aren't meant to expect good things in return from actual wonder trade, you are meant to be charitable when doing so giving something nice.

but yea, I guess the way you suggested could be better? just feels a little more complicated than Wonder Trading which is a similar premise imo.

33 minutes ago, Matoka said:

People aren't meant to expect good things in return from actual wonder trade, you are meant to be charitable when doing so giving something nice.

Yeah I really love this aspect of WT in the actual games.  But in this game stuff carries alot more actual value due to the vastly different breeding systems within the games.  Pretty much, in vanilla, breeding doesnt mean a whole lot ever since the destiny knot was introduced and also because of the prevalence of generating pokemon. 

33 minutes ago, Matoka said:

just feels a little more complicated than Wonder Trading which is a similar premise imo.

Yeah its different forsure.  In the actual neopets there other random things placed into the donation tree serve side too.  Like you'll get some small amount of money stolen from you and it ends up there.  So theoretically it can be applied with items as well or just tiny amounts of pokeyen. 

i have heard of around 20~ shinys that were released on accident (and a few on purpose) and countless comps. you can say people wont use it but stuff is released and if just everything ended up in this pile for a while (not forever cause storage space on the server cost money yo) some trash would be other peoples treasure. it's like the wonder system but better imo which the rare diamond if you search long enough. 

most importantly their would be less trash on gtl because people who just want a whatever and dont care about iv's would go to the trash and find it. why pay for something when you can something of equal value free? why post trash on the gtl when no one is buying trash on the gtl? end result=less spam and easier to find good stuff on gtl.