Trading

parke im not saying your wrong but that's a different discussion that could be used as an excuse to lock and trash this thread, since disagreeing with staff moderation is not allowed. 

on topic, gtl has flaws and trading as a whole is slowly dying because of it + he death of values discussion. lets say you are looking for a field breeder with 31 attack male, pretty simple right? well you put in all the search terms in advanced and find plenty for cheap. works right? but what if you want something other then excess breeders with zero work put in? well their are a few 2x31 that are ok priced but everything past that doesn't exist or exist at exuberant prices. 

but what if you want to buy a comp? well their will be few if any of the species your looking for and they'll range from absurdly price to ok price if it was comp but it's complete horseshit. 

why is this? well if something is "comp" then a lot of effort was put in and not everyone agrees on the definition of comp and every poke has a whole lot of move sets. further more the tax on say a 25k comp is relatively low but on a 800k comp it's huge and you have to adjust your prices because of it. meanwhile grinding out 50 1x 31's take a hour or two and a few thousand of pokeballs + they'll sell out quickly. a few outliers might take a week or three but you have gotten several 100k profit maybe even a mil for your 1-2 hours of labor after expenses. meanwhile the person who caught and bred say a comp 5x30+ milotic has spent around 6-10 hours catching the breeders, breeding, ev training, leveling to 50, evolving with beauty, and then move setting it is several hundred k in the whole perhaps even a mil if they dont know and successfully plan out every step perfectly or are going for a hp like grass or electric. in order to make an actual profit they need to earn back said money from breeding + an hourly wage + pay the huge gtl tax, on a Pokemon that might take months to sell. breeding and then selling comps on the gtl does not make sense. it's a horrible idea that takes a long time to pay off, and may not ever pay off. 

end result is a reality where you just cant get comps using the gtl unless you want to way overpay 9/10 times, and with the death of values it's hard to accurately put a price on something. the forums trade thread section exist, but the gtl has segmented the market into pieces and if a game where players are looking for some very specific things with very specific needs and requirements, segmentation is very bad. lower visibility means as a seller i sell less things, but the effort i put into it remains the same. so either i raise prices and sell less things and raise prices some more or i say fuck it and quit the market and find better ways to make money or perhaps even quit the game. as a buyer market segmentation substantially increase the effort to find what im looking for assuming i even check all the markets which a majority of the players dont. and ofc their are the poor people in ch 1 trade/ch chat spamming. 

TLDR market segmentation + tax + breeding mechanics make getting anything other then breeders hard and expensive. and since time is money and people can just spend that time doing it themselves why fucking bother with the uncertainty of the market when what you want may not exist at a reasonable price?

my 2 cents thanks for not reading this cause lets be honest no one is going to read this and the game will eventually die in a few years slowly.

the first thing i remember about getting into pokemon was just trading cards on the playground, not even knowing the actual card game.

then later hooking up your gameboy color to your bro's and trading some pokemon around, what a time to be alive.

just saying trading is a huge part of pokemon and pokemmo killed it.

bring back value discussion, change high price taxes on gtl, make tradechat global again. pretty much everything draekyn said and then some.

I thought the way we traded on PokeMMO before the GTL was a rather unique experience for me, before that I haven't encountered such a feature in a video game and I have to be honest, I really miss it. It was one of those things where as a started out I would try to soak in all the information and details of all the pokemon and items everyone had, engaged and had meaning conversions with the people behind the pokemon, it was a great thing. I feel that from a social stand point, the GTL made everyone socially awkward within the game itself, and for the most part it looks like that translated to the forums as well. I agree for certain that the way GTL has affected trading should be looked at with a closer eye it bring back that unique experience. 

8 minutes ago, Elliasal said:

I thought the way we traded on PokeMMO before the GTL was a rather unique experience for me, before that I haven't encountered such a feature in a video game and I have to be honest, I really miss it. It was one of those things where as a started out I would try to soak in all the information and details of all the pokemon and items everyone had, engaged and had meaning conversions with the people behind the pokemon, it was a great thing. I feel that from a social stand point, the GTL made everyone socially awkward within the game itself, and for the most part it looks like that translated to the forums as well. I agree for certain that the way GTL has affected trading should be looked at with a closer eye it bring back that unique experience. 

The same could be said about automated tournaments, rip social-mmo.

4 minutes ago, Lazaro23 said:

The same could be said about automated tournaments, rip social-mmo.

Yeah, those events were rather nice, to bad they didn't add a feature included in the automated tournaments where we still had to gather in a given place for the event.

8 hours ago, Ploegy said:

We're not supposed to make lf/wtb threads? Welp I've broken that rule many times

From rules page:

1. Do not create threads asking for an "EV trainer" or other similar type of training service. It's easy enough to find one on your own.

There's no rule about making "lf things" threads. You can do it, unless it's Lf ev trainer or something like that. 

Looks like im the only one who didn't like spamming on trade every ~1min instead of putting stuff on GTL and go doing my own stuff. Same goes with breeders, now i hunt OT and breed with mons from my PC and GTL instead of farming them in grass (because i wont find what i need on trade chat). GTL has huge amount of offers against ~15 maybe 20 presented on trade chat.

Trade chat also forces you to sell at best 6pokes at a time and do nothing in mean time, just staying somewhere and ctrl+V when your message gets lost in trade spam.

I agree with selling/buying comps problem but since im breeding my own stuff and i usually dont sell my comps I personaly dont encounter it too often. When I do it is hard to sell those but im not sure how trade chat improves on it. 

The only pro i could see behind trade chat deals was personal trade but if i had to choose again I would still go with GTL. 

12 hours ago, Draekyn said:

Just now, @Aerun was given a warning point for bumping his trade corner thread before it reached page 2.

If I may speak on behalf of dummy dumb dumberson here, it takes from 3 to 5 days for a thread in trade corner to reach page 2 nowadays, it might be a good idea to soften the rules on that.

That or try and come up with an idea to make trade corner relevant again. This goes for trade chat aswell.

Sure the activity on those depends exclusively on the players willingness to use them over GTL, but I don't think that the GTL should be the only effective way to trade in this game. Especially since as far as I know we are not allowed to post "LF/wtb" threads in trade corner. Auctions were great, where did those go?

Shiny trading is the best example of how GTL has negatively impacted trading.

Quoting from the value discussion removal thread: "it's now going to be possible to find the value of a species in real time at a given moment depending on currently existing advertisements and demands, there is little use to discussing and speculating prices on the forums"

Now it was obviously short-sighted and naive of you to believe a stable market could be created by the GTL without any discussion and argumenting. Prices are all over the place, fluctuating way too much at a time when we have been given more depth to shiny values thanks to shiny breeding, what a shame.

The Trade corner subforum almost exclusively contains the shops of returning players who are too poor to pay for GTL fees, long time shops which don't really sell anything (hue), shiny/comp showcases and the "shiny lottery" threads motivated by the prospect of making an easy sell for "market price" without making any actual effort to advertise their product.

We should definitely try and come up with ideas to revive the trade corner, it used to bring people on the forums, forums activity is at an all time low at the moment, let's not pretend it is not due to a succession of poor decisions prompted by a the-less-we-have-to-do-the-better overall attitude.

Value discussion at the time was, though effective, grounds for litigation (shiny doggos). Consensus was hard to reach on some species, and that is to me unavoidable, as some of the criterias to assess the value of a shiny are subjective.

I strongly suggest the reinstitution of Value discussion, and that for four reasons:

• The situation now is different, as I have previously stated, shiny prices now have more depth and should be discussed in order to reach a sensible and interesting shiny market. 
  • GTL fees on shinies should not be a thing, period. If it is too hard to code, real shiny trading (to not be confused with RMT) should be the norm rather than the exception.
  • Shiny prices on GTL are all over the place, ranging from way to low to not be considered a scam to discouragingly high which shows a lack of understanding of the shiny market, as fluctuating as it may be, such entries are easy to spot.
  • Value discussion was fun and it used to bring life to the forums.

Trade chat is a mess, consisting largely of low-quality comps and vanities. It is not only harder to find what you are looking for on there, but also to sell what you want to sell, simply because people no longer have trade chat open as regularly.

The fact that trade chat is now separated between channels is to blame as well, as some people do not want to play on channel 1. Whatever their reasons may be, it should be taken into account. They should not have to choose between playing the game as they like by using your channel mechanics, and using trade chat effectively.

I believe we should enter the new generation, or whatever is planned for us in the future, with an effective and sound trading system. And for me GTL alone does not make the cut.

Bring more life to your game, bring trading back.

Forums becoming cancer. I asked a staff member to take my shop out of trash and eventually it was. About 4 days later it was back in the trash. WTF are our shops being put in trash so we have to spam staff entire day get them reinstated? Who made this stupid fcking decision seriously. Also on a serious note I might say staff don't have a clue about the shiny economy and what not since none of them really play.

1 minute ago, Bearminator said:

7 days. 

Rules again:

"Threads will be trashed after a week or more of inactivity."

so you can't bump a shop before going to page 2, but you also have to bump it every 7 days

what happens if a shop takes longer than 7 days to go to page 2 then

Just now, Bearminator said:

7 days. 

Rules again:

"Threads will be trashed after a week or more of inactivity."

Do I look inactive?? U want me to bump the fck out of my threads bruh? I think you guys don't realize that it takes time for trading and sales. Some of our threads are to advertise our pokemon that are listed on the GTL. Each time the player view my shop he thinks about what he can buy or negotiate with me in game about a certain item / pokemon he likes. I don't think a player would go to the trash section to check my shop.

22 minutes ago, Toupi said:

Looks like im the only one who didn't like spamming on trade every ~1min instead of putting stuff on GTL and go doing my own stuff. Same goes with breeders, now i hunt OT and breed with mons from my PC and GTL instead of farming them in grass (because i wont find what i need on trade chat). GTL has huge amount of offers against ~15 maybe 20 presented on trade chat.

Trade chat also forces you to sell at best 6pokes at a time and do nothing in mean time, just staying somewhere and ctrl+V when your message gets lost in trade spam.

I agree with selling/buying comps problem but since im breeding my own stuff and i usually dont sell my comps I personaly dont encounter it too often. When I do it is hard to sell those but im not sure how trade chat improves on it. 

The only pro i could see behind trade chat deals was personal trade but if i had to choose again I would still go with GTL. 

im with you, i actually enjoy the gtl thing way more

1 minute ago, LifeStyle said:

so you can't bump a shop before going to page 2, but you also have to bump it every 7 days

what happens if a shop takes longer than 7 days to go to page 2 then

I am not sure ,but maybe this rules shows : if u have a trade page and if u can't see page2 in 7 days = you must notice = nobody interesting = going to thrash. I dont know but that must be logic.

3 minutes ago, Ichigo said:

Do I look inactive?? U want me to bump the fck out of my threads bruh? I think you guys don't realize that it takes time for trading and sales. 

As a staff member who actually plays this game, I'm aware it takes time. Leaving this rule out will not magically make trading quicker. Mine threads were trashed also, and I don't see any hard task in going to forums once a week to bump mine trade corner thread. 

Also I'm here to clarify some misunderstood rules as in few posts above, not to argue. 

Just now, Quakkz said:

im with you, i actually enjoy the gtl thing way more

It's a huge gateway for rmt. You guys think it's normal for some nab to list rares for 10k??? These days players go on social websites and communicate with each other and then agree over a deal without saying a single sentence in game to each other. Then when this player gets all 3 rares for 30k he he is considered being ''LUCKY''. Also staff don't really do effort to pick up such things.