New way to earn Reward Points

There was a suggestion made almost a year ago about introducing a new way of earning RPs through Monetized Survey Completion, this was the feedback it got from Staff, quoting Tyrone who was a GM at the time (June 19th 2016):

"These online survey's raise funds by selling user information to third party companies. 

PokeMMO will not be selling or sharing their user's information with any other parties to generate funds.

This suggestion goes directly against the vision of the game, where donations of players ensure the longevity of the game and not third party companies or advertisements."

As you can see, things have changed:

So my question is, what made devs change their opinion about this? iirc most if not all of these surveys ask for stuff like people's phone numbers, credit card info, or to install some shit in their computers (welcome malware).

Edited by LifeStyle

i dont mind it, its your own decision at the end. what annoys me tho is that i tried yesterday for like an hour to complete one single survey. i always get redirected cause i wasnt the "target group" for the survey. Felt like kinda suspicious to me. i know that this isnt pokemmos fault, but some sites doesnt seem to trustworthy. i played an online game for 10minutes tho and got my 100 reward points, while i played another for an hour and didnt get the points that were promised. dunno yet what to think about it

Edited by Quakkz
20 minutes ago, Quakkz said:

i dont mind it, its your own decision at the end. what annoys me tho is that i tried yesterday for like an hour to complete one single survey. i always get redirected cause i wasnt the "target group" for the survey. Felt like kinda suspicious to me. i know that this isnt pokemmos fault, but some sites doesnt seem to trustworthy. i played an online game for 10minutes tho and got my 100 reward points, while i played another for an hour and didnt get the points that were promised. dunno yet what to think about it

I tried 2 of those surveys, filled them up with fake info (fake phone number, fake street code, etc) ofc. For some reason, I did not get RP in any of those 2. So imagine people who actually fall into giving their personal info and get nothing in return.

Edited by LifeStyle
5 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

I tried 2 of those surveys, filled them up with fake info (phone number, street code, etc) ofc. For some reason, I did not get RP in any of those 2. So imagine people who actually fall into giving their personal info and get nothing in return.

never got so far that i even had to insert phone number or street code. always only had to fill in my graduation, which country i am from and what my yearly income is. at that point i always got redirected to the next survey XD

30 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

So my question is, what made devs change their opinion about this? iirc most if not all of these surveys ask for stuff like people's phone numbers, credit card info, or to install some shit in their computers (welcome malware).

I don't believe Tyrone asked any of the admins their opinion before posting that response. As we did not originally plan on using an offer provider, we didn't feel the need to correct it. After it being brought up again internally we have decided to give it a trial run to see how it fairs.

A lot of larger companies, such as Jagex already use this provider to monetize their own games. If an offer is asking for something you are uncomfortable answering or installing, you can simply not do it. If you find any suspicious ads feel free to report them.

18 minutes ago, Quakkz said:

As far as surveys go, I believe each survey has a specific target demographic they are targeting. And if you aren't in it, they aren't interested in your response. Unfortunately finding out if you are/aren't in it can sometimes be fairly time consuming. For the online game that you believe should have paid out, press the "Get Help" at the top of the page and contact support.

6 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

I tried 2 of those surveys, filled them up with fake info (fake phone number, fake street code, etc) ofc. For some reason, I did not get RP in any of those 2. So imagine people who actually fall into giving their personal info and get nothing in return.

http://www.superrewards.com/fraud

Just like LifeStyle, I completed a few survey with fake phone numbers etc + a GoT Quizz and I never have the RP. Those are the one. As you can probably imagine, I will not use that system anymore. I prefer pay than be bullshited. 

1492260154-1.png

1492260157-3.png

1492260236-2.png

Edited by Heniway

I dont have information on what value does this system generate for PokeMMO so i can only speak about my feelings.

The system will probably be used by ppl but i dont feel like usage is the honest indicator of value. The same way if you would spawn NPC who sells comps for competetive prices it would also be used but that does not mean it's something good or fitting for PokeMMO. It just feel cheap.

At least for me, if i see pay-to-win or watch ads to gain something in the game it's signal that probably this game is focusing on generating money and not on game itself. The game needs to earn for itself but I dont think it should be doing it no matter the method. I dont think im alone in it and everyone is repeled by ads/survey that require you to download content, give phone numer etc.

I know that i have option to not use it(and i will not) but it is still in the game and cast a bad light on the game. From the bright side at least we dont have ads after every battle or after staying online for specific amount of time. As i mention before, i dont really know how much "good" does it generate so i can't tell if this is worthy of losing a bit of "dignity". 

tl;dr: At the end, it's devs decision to keep it or not but I feel like it lowers appeal of PokeMMO just by the fact that you can watch ads to gain something, like in any cheap and simple mobile game with pour-large-amount-of-money-to-play-it politics.

See, the thing about these offers for "free currency", is that they hardly ever work. You can spend an hour or more on a survey, and upon completion, you'll find that you didn't get the promised reward. Applies to other minor offers as well. I'm amazed that @Quakkz managed to get anything from these offers.

5 hours ago, LifeStyle said:

To be fair, you're warned that providing false info will lead to the reward being revoked/not provided, but I can see why you wouldn't want to provide real info. As Tyrone said, information sent is reviewed by the company conducting the survey, and, if the information is correct AND has value, it will be sold and you'll get a small incentive. Naturally, someone would want to provide false info to get their reward quicker and without any of their own info sold, but a company won't gain any profit from a survey with all 5s chosen to an address like "420 nou street", so they don't sell info given, therefore you get no incentive.

It's worth noting that I have tried with legitimate info and STILL not received any RP, as, according to SuperRewards support, "the company did not report completion", when I even provided screenshots of progress/completion. Even non-survey offers do not provide RP upon completion, from what I have seen.

@Desu I suggest you find a different party to work with for this trial, I have looked around and SuperRewards is seen as a scam service, which can taint the image of PokeMMO. While SuperRewards themselves may not be the ones scamming, they are still associated with shady companies, which end up giving everyone involved a bad name.

I downloaded one of those 7-day-free-trial-but-insert-your-credit-card-info ones that give like 600 RP. Since it's free and you can cancel your free trial before they charge you and ez free RP for a tenth of the time trying to attempt the damned surveys. It's popcorn time or some shit so I doubt it's an unsafe website, but I never got those 600 RP. Rip my dignity

I recall asking dev's opinion on the matter before making the post.

As we did not originally plan on using an offer provider

Which is the answer I obtained.

My mistake was believing that the original fundraising plan (donations) was permanent and I had no reason to believe it would not be the case.

I had tried those surveys while playing Runescape three years ago and the experience was awful. That bad experience likely added to my negative reply at the time.

I'm still against the use of such services, but was probably overstepping my bounds by claiming it was a shared vision alongside PokeMMO devs.

I was wrong

Spoiler

It's still a terrible idea though

My experience of this type of thing is poor. It is also derived from Jagex's use of superrewards. Half the time the system doesn't recognize that you've completed an offer... Though I don't think this is a negative for the game, I just won't be participating in it, 'cause my time is worth more than like 5 bucks an hour (I mean, you kinda have to be lucky to even get 500rp per hour).

Superrewards is super clunky...

The only time it actually worked well was when it was doing "download apps to your phone" and it gave a link to be opened on your mobile device; I got a crap ton of runecoins from that because that actually worked like 95% of the time. 

The only other time it was worthwhile was when the video offer was bugged and you could watch 1sec vids for lots of treasure hunter keys (runescape thing). But yeah, it had to be broken before it was worthwhile...

On 15/04/2017 at 4:24 PM, mayuuuuu said:

I downloaded one of those 7-day-free-trial-but-insert-your-credit-card-info ones that give like 600 RP. Since it's free and you can cancel your free trial before they charge you and ez free RP for a tenth of the time trying to attempt the damned surveys. It's popcorn time or some shit so I doubt it's an unsafe website, but I never got those 600 RP. Rip my dignity

To be fair, popcorn time is great anyway. Check it out.

3 hours ago, KaynineXL said:

To be fair, popcorn time is great anyway. Check it out.

Yeah it's a pretty good app to watch Anime and TV Shows.

Also I completed an offer in which all I had to do was type my email and then confirm it and I did get the reward points, I then tried another one which was a football managerial game in which I had to complete some achievements which was creating the team and I didn't get anything so what I can conclude from this is that some of these work and some don't, what I would suggest is that you guys looked for a different party, I suggest Offerwall which works pretty much every time and the apps/programs you're downloading don't really have any viruses or anything. 

Edited by BadBones