Crack down on bullying/name calling on the forums

Xatu

Question

Its to a ridiculous level and you guys let way too much shit slide.  People dont learn any sort of lesson from just having posts deleted.  You guys need to enforce a strict WP policy.   You flame, derail a thread, bully you get a warning point.  That simple.  You want people to feel welcome here on the forums.  As it is right now.  Its toxic as fuck.

17 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Eggplant said:

Right-o, chap! Unruly behavior is unwelcome in a friendly community environment! You have my fullest agreement. We need to make the forums great again. We should just ban everyone who doesn't adhere to stricter rules.

Exactly.  Right now i feel as if new players are actually scared away from the forums due to the toxicitiy.  Pretty much nobody can say anything without some sort or flaming/negativity becoming of it.

2 minutes ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

I personally think the forums are fine as they are. I don't think there's a need for the forums to be any more strict because the people that have their posts deleted recieve warning points and an eventual ban if it gets really bad.

Its not fine as it is.  Nobody even uses the forums.  Then, when someone attempts to use the forums and spark a conversation they are almost always met with hatred and negativity.  That is not an environment that makes people want to contribute to the community or any form of discussion.

Just now, TeamRocketHarry said:

isn't that how the whole world works though?

This is VR bro.  Not the real world.  Clearly you've never used a well moderated forum before.

3 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Its not fine as it is.  Nobody even uses the forums.  Then, when someone attempts to use the forums and spark a conversation they are almost always met with hatred and negativity.  That is not an environment that makes people want to contribute to the community or any form of discussion.

I gotta disagree with that first part, a lot of people use these forums as compared to other forums that I have used. When people try to start discussions, they aren't met with hatred unless the first post is asking for it. And the whole forums is the fuel that brought this game to where it is now via the suggestion box so obviously the system is working

2 minutes ago, Xatu said:

This is VR bro.  Not the real world.  Clearly you've never used a well moderated forum before.

I'll agree that forums are sometimes dead, but they get used. Also the reason you get hatred towards you is because some things that you suggest are better just left in your head.

Might be VR, but there are real people behind that monitor, no matter what you do they have opinions and will share it.

Just now, SirDusty said:

I'll agree that forums are sometimes dead, but they get used. Also the reason you get hatred towards you is because some things that you suggest are better just left in your head.

Says you?  So i shouldnt speak my opinion because you said so so then you and others name-call and suggest "dislike" features because of it?  Yeah very mature. 

Just now, SirDusty said:

Might be VR, but there are real people behind that monitor, no matter what you do they have opinions and will share it.

Oh wow now you pull the "so people can share their opinions card".  WEll its a two way street pal.  I get to share my opinions too regardles of what you or anyone thinks of them.  Its then up to you to calmly present counter-arguments and then i will present my counter-arguments to that.  Thats how debates work.  Instead.  Everyone just flames and shitposts and gets away with it.  Its been going on too fucking long and im tired.  1 person can only take so much name-calling and bullying before going fucking apeshit.  And guess what, im 99% civil all the fucking time.

1 minute ago, Xatu said:

Says you?  So i shouldnt speak my opinion because you said so so then you and others name-call and suggest "dislike" features because of it?  Yeah very mature. 

Oh wow now you pull the "so people can share their opinions card".  WEll its a two way street pal.  I get to share my opinions too regardles of what you or anyone thinks of them.  Its then up to you to calmly present counter-arguments and then i will present my counter-arguments to that.  Thats how debates work.  Instead.  Everyone just flames and shitposts and gets away with it.  Its been going on too fucking long and im tired.  1 person can only take so much name-calling and bullying before going fucking apeshit.  And guess what, im 99% civil all the fucking time.

I never said you can't speak your opinion, but some of the ideas you have in your head are just dumb. At least put some effort into your suggestions because I've never seen one out of the 100s get accepted. Prove me wrong tho.

4 minutes ago, SirDusty said:

I never said you can't speak your opinion, but some of the ideas you have in your head are just dumb. At least put some effort into your suggestions because I've never seen one out of the 100s get accepted. Prove me wrong tho.

There you go name calling again.  And have you even read my suggestions.  Open world.  Player owned real estate. PvP open wilderness.  Rental trade link.  All of these ideas took weeks of planning.  Also.  One of my ideas was implemented today.

Edited by Xatu

There you go name calling again.  And have you even read my suggestions.  Open world.  PvP open wilderness.  Rental trade link.  All of these ideas took weeks of planning.  Also.  One of my ideas was implemented today.

Finally got something correct, because I haven't. Also you're telling me you spend weeks of planning to post on a forum you that you called "dead" earlier? Nice I like it.

1 minute ago, Xatu said:

There you go name calling again.  And have you even read my suggestions.  Open world.  PvP open wilderness.  Rental trade link.  All of these ideas took weeks of planning.  Also.  One of my ideas was implemented today.

That wasnt name calling, it was an opinionated statement stating that your ideas were dumb. Why is it not okay for him to share his opinions when you just said it was okay for people to do so

8 minutes ago, Xatu said:

I get to share my opinions too regardles of what you or anyone thinks of them.

Just now, FuzzyRegirock said:

That wasnt name calling, it was an opinionated statement stating that your ideas were dumb. Why is it not okay for him to share his opinions when you just said it was okay for people to do so

Because I do it in a way that doesnt involve name-calling, flaming, and general negative tendencies.  He keeps repeating himself over and over "your ideas are dumb".  That adds NOTHING to the discussion. 

Just now, FuzzyRegirock said:

It's ok to give opinions, but opinions made to denigrate someone are not valid, that simple.

Just now, Xatu said:

Because I do it in a way that doesnt involve name-calling, flaming, and general negative tendencies.  He keeps repeating himself over and over "your ideas are dumb".  That adds NOTHING to the discussion. 

I've only posted in like 3-4 of your threads not including this one I want 1 "over" and not 2 please.

What goes on behind the scenes, in this case the frequency of warnings, is not visible to the public nor is it up for debate. Warnings are issued and/or posts are hidden when something said is found to be in violation of the rules. We have no intention of entirely abandoning the concept of leniency - being too strict may have the somewhat ironic effect of making the forums less welcoming to newcomers. At the end of the day, this is not a game/forum targeted at children, so does not require authoritarian moderation. Warning points and bans are issued when they are actually needed, not when somoene steps slightly out of line - hiding the post is enough in most cases unless the person is a repeat offender.

With that being said though, you may find that the "bullying" will drastically decrease over time if you stop responding to it and attacking the people who disagree with you. We will not be restricting people from expressing their opinions when they dislike a suggestion as long as their posts follow the forum rules - criticism is an important part of any feature discussion and should not be seen as a personal attack. If a post is directly targeting you in a negative way however, please report it and do not respond to it, as doing so will only make things worse.