Efficiency: How to Save Time Breeding, EV Training, Berry Farming, Leveling, Shiny Hunting

How to Save Time, Work Smarter Not Harder

Fast Breeding Tips

• Use both breeding centers at once (now this takes a little bit more planning than usual but can easily be done in your head.  You can right down what gender the eggs are when you get them so you dont forget.)
  • Buy braces and give to the mon(s) during the egg wait time
  • Have mons needed for next stage of breed in party with braces/everstone waiting to be put into daycare immediately when you pick up the other egg (if possible).

Fast EV Training Tips

• Use sweet scent hoards
  • Use spread moves
  • Use a spread move that hits neutrally.  This means that it doesnt say the "its super-effective!" or "its not very effective..." strings of text. 
  • Use Twister for everything except steel types.
  • Use Surf for Steel types

~~~~~~~ Fastest Magma Hideout DEFENSE EV Training (Hoenn, near Lavaridge) ~~~~~~~~~

There is only 1 spread move that hits them neutrally and this will save you HOURS of training time.  That move is TWISTER. This move will hit every EV training hoard in the game neutrally except for steel type and dragon types.

The best mon to use this move with is Dragonite.  Since it is only 40 base power you will need to train special attack, hopefully have 31 ivs, grind to level 100 and potentially use a special choice band.   If you find you are able to 1 hit the hoards without the need of any item then use a kings rock for the added flinch chance, twister has a 10% chance to flinch and kings rock adds another 10% to that, bringing the total to 20%.  You'll be surprised by how much it triggers.

~~~~~~~ Fastest Cerulean Cave SPECIAL ATTACK EV Training (Kanto, Near Cerulean [Fire red storyline must be complete]) ~~~~~~~~~

New Method: Fastest!!

Cerulean Cave hoards are fastest.  Kill the kadabras and magneton only. Use surf on the magnetons to save time with the text displaying the "its not very effective..." string of text..

Old Method:

0.  Navigate into the Pokemon Tower and position yourself near the healing square so you can heal as often as you need.

1.  Have the mon you are training in the front of your party holding a MACHO BRACE 

2.  Switch into a NORMAL TYPE pokemon with a spread move that is not Hyper Voice.  The best mon for this is a Smeargle with surf.  Since the Smeargle is normal-type 75% of the moves the gastlys and haunters use on you wont effect it.  Making the turn go by fast.

~~~~~~~ Fastest Route 23 ATTACK EV Training (Kanto, near Viridian City) ~~~~~~~~~

The best place to train attack is Route 23.  Since this Route is far down a path the fastest way to EV train here is to bring Leppa berries/ethers.  However if you are strapped for cash it is still quite quick without them.

Fast Berry Farming Tips

If you are only growing a single berry species for money and its one of the "basic" berries that only requires 3 seeds of the same plain type then you can save alot of time. 

1.  Have nothing in your seed inventory other than the seed you want to use

2.  Go up to berry patch and hold down "a". 

3.  It will go through the berry window crazy fast, then just water! (hotkey wailmer pail to skip water dialogue.) 

Fastest Leveling in the Game

1: Cerulean cave gives the most exp in the game.

2: Use traded mons as your spread move user.  (The mon in the front of the party.)

3: Give the spread move user (the mon in the front of the party) a lucky egg/have donators status if you afford both/either. (lucky egg only affect the first mon in the party)

X: Use Exp Share on an additional mon to gain that amount of exp as well

With all of that combined you can earn up to 7k exp a battle for both the pokemon in the front of the party, and one you may wish to give the exp share.  Note:  Using multiple exp shares reduces the amount of exp gained.

Smart Shiny Hunting

Have your leppa berries hotkeyed in a very accessible key, I use "d". You want your sweet scent user in the fourth slot of your party. You want sweet scent to be the first move in the moveset.  Once you have this all set up you are ready to refill your sweet scent users pp very quickly.

Here's how:

1: Press d

2: Press down once, press a

3: Press a again to refill pp by one leppa

4: Repeat steps 1-3 2 more times to refill pp completely

Edited by Xatu
6 hours ago, Xatu said:

BREEDING

- use both breeding centers at once

now this takes a little bit more planning than usual but can easily be done in your head.  If you need to right down what gender the eggs are when you get them.

So you are aware, this does not actually save you time.  Pokemon in the breeders stop breeding and will never produce an egg while you are in another region than where that particular breeder is at.  So, while you are in Hoenn any pokemon in the Kanto breeder will stop working to produce an egg and vice versa. 

1 hour ago, Munya said:

So you are aware, this does not actually save you time.  Pokemon in the breeders stop breeding and will never produce an egg while you are in another region than where that particular breeder is at.  So, while you are in Hoenn any pokemon in the Kanto breeder will stop working to produce an egg and vice versa. 

Go kanto, take the man, go hoenn, place the man.

There you go, 2 men in same map, ez

11 hours ago, aftershocker said:

If we're trying to save time, beautifly hordes give EV's much faster than gastly's do. Only difference is you need leppas, but hey you mentioned leppas for atk. Hope this helps.

Im aware of this.  But since there is the gastlys as an option, and they are so close to the "pokemon center", using the macho brace tech they provide 6-8~ evs per hoard.  The beautiflys also dont spawn at 100%, neither do the gastlys but its so high that its negligible.  This makes the gastlys the superior option as it is extremly consistent. 

As for the atk space in comparison well there arent any other options for it, that are that efficient. Thats why i opted for the leppa detail on that one. 

22 hours ago, Munya said:

I wasnt aware of this but I guess just the time it takes to traverse through verm to either location is enough to get the eggs popping and I find using both can lead to have 4 eggs in the party if planned correctly. 

4 hours ago, Xatu said:

I wasnt aware of this but I guess just the time it takes to traverse through verm to either location is enough to get the eggs popping and I find using both can lead to have 4 eggs in the party if planned correctly. 

yes, its possible, I made it before

Mt Ember slugma horde on one island floor 2 is better than beautifly horde imo

19 hours ago, aftershocker said:

If we're trying to save time, beautifly hordes give EV's much faster than gastly's do. Only difference is you need leppas, but hey you mentioned leppas for atk. Hope this helps.

I like to shiny hunt using the keyboard shortcuts to do the sweet scent move, if you're fast you can do it even more faster than with the mouse and you do less body movements.

I mapped the keys to a controller and i can keep my hands under the sheets :3

D - Z - Z - Z - Choice sweet scent.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:31 PM, Xatu said:

2: Use traded mons as your spread move user.

3: Give them a lucky egg/have donators status if you afford both/either.

With all of that combined you can earn 7k exp a battle.

What if I'm not leveling a traded mon?

8 hours ago, Raederz said:

I think he means switch, to be able to use lucky egg.

I prefer to use exp share tho

Yeah the mon in the front of the party has the Lucky egg, and then the other mon you want to level holds the exp share.  I'll edit the OP to make it easier to understand.  No switching necessary haha.

On 07/06/2017 at 1:52 AM, Xatu said:

Yeah the mon in the front of the party has the Lucky egg, and then the other mon you want to level holds the exp share.  I'll edit the OP to make it easier to understand.  No switching necessary haha.

Lucky egg has no effect on exp shares. Just tested.

At least I've been patient enought to not overpay my useless egg :'(

Edited by Raederz
9 hours ago, Raederz said:

Lucky egg has no effect on exp shares. Just tested.

At least I've been patient enought to not overpay my useless egg :'(

Ah ty for checking it formally, OP is edited with the new info