Question about moving forward skipping a gen...

So, currently we have cases where a pokemon could learn X move in gen 4+ via a method they cannot in pokemmo, let us use Qwilfish as an example. Qwilfish can learn Explosion by TM, however in pokemmo it cannot learn it by Tutor because it can only learn it by TM.

With this context I want to know if Generation 4 TM's will exist, or are being thought OF existing while we are in Unova as part of the Generation 5 update.

I believe this is EXTREMELY noteworthy as Stealth Rock and Roost are TM's in Generation 4, but not in Generation 5, and these two moves seem most relevant as Roost allows more pokemon utility as it gives some pokemon a recover move when they previously did not have access to one, and Stealth Rock is, well, Stealth rock.

The main reason I ask this is because I am worried about a metagame where Stealth Rock is heavily limited to only level-up / breeding pokemon as that could easily lead to a very clear-cut "These pokemon are /thee/ stealth rockers of these tiers", with TM's there are far more pokemon that can contest other pokemon and give more options about what to run when such a likely meta-defining move is added.

If you are also considering adding Defog's gen6+ mechanic of clearing stealth rocks then Defog also applies as it is a HM in gen 4 and not available in order to teach several pokemon what could be another meta defining move.

I just don't want Ferrothron / Crustle / Probopass / Skarmory / Forretress to be 5 pokemon I get sick of seeing, I'd love the meta to have the chance to run things like Omastar, Shuckle, Magcargo, Kecleon, Solrock, Lunatone, Claydol, Relicanth etc as stealth rockers as they are pokemon that could use added utility but are being gimped out of it if we skip gen 4's TM's until we get to Sinnoh.

My concern also goes to Defog for similar reasons, I do not want us to be stuck with only one strong pokemon, such as Mandibuzz as our sole source of Defog due to lack of TM.

I just wanted to express my concerns, I know I'm not a meta expert or anything of the sort, but more lesser used pokemon getting options means they have a chance to shine, whereas without that we could end up with very limited and very centralising sources of stealth rock / stealth rock removal, and I wanted to know if the dev's can give any insight into this as it seems an odd case that we can't really guess will be dealt with.

Will we get Gen 4 TM's while in Gen 5? or some alternative source for the moves perhaps? if there are any plans around this I would love clarity if possible. Thank you for reading.

3 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

We'll eventually get different generation TMs while in Generation 5, just likely not on release.

Can I take that as confirmation that "Not all Generation 4 TM's will be unavailable until we eventually implement Sinnoh"?

Edited by Matoka
Just now, Matoka said:

Can I take that as confirmation that "Not all Generation 4 TM's will be unavailable until we eventually implement Sinnoh"?

No, they will likely all be available before - but we currently do not have custom TM support.

1 minute ago, RacheLucario said:

It's worth pointing out that Stealth Rock received a tutor in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which a lot of Pokemon should be able to use if it's implemented. Rapid Spin also clears entry hazards.

This is a good point also.

Just now, Darkshade said:

No, they will likely all be available before - but we currently do not have custom TM support.

This is a good point also.

So custom TM support is being thought of, and also additionally the thought of Move Tutors outside of their own generation is also being considered?

Thank you for communicating this.

1 minute ago, Matoka said:

So custom TM support is being thought of, and also additionally the thought of Move Tutors outside of their own generation is also being considered?

Thank you for communicating this.

That's correct - we already have plenty of custom Tutor examples available already through the Shard Tutors/Shock Wave in the Battle Frontier.

Just now, Darkshade said:

That's correct - we already have plenty of custom Tutor examples available already through the Shard Tutors/Shock Wave in the Battle Frontier.

I know you cannot give any specifics since it's likely still conceptual, but do you believe this is more likely to be considered for something heavily post game such as the current Battle Tower and special event moves, or is any consideration being put in for the possibility of having NPC's placed around Unova similar to in Fire Red and Leaf Green that tutor your pokemon various moves?

I know it is just one opinion, however having them available similar to Fire Red / Leaf green appears to me as a player the preferable thing as otherwise it could be a very long time before facilities like a new Battle tower are added even after we finish implementing the entire storymode of Unova along with all their pokemon etc.

Thoughts?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.