[PSL7] Summary

I can see the logic behind trying to include a gen 5 matchup of some sort, but I really think the next host should just stick with what works and keep gen 4 around. I know I'm pretty biased but it's a fun meta to play, easy to learn and adapt to, and people enjoy watching it. Some of this season's most hyped matchups were gen 4 matches, and I think its the kind of meta where even spectators who dont know much about the meta can still follow along pretty easily and enjoy what theyre seeing. So yeah keep gen 4 around

thankyou gunthug i didnt want to agree with doc but you are right draft>auction, but none of these multiple day drafts that end up with players getting bought and sold because everyone was asleep.

also 16 teams 2ou 2uu/one uu + lc 1nu 1doubles 1vgc 1smogon ou/gen 4 ou for a total of 8 players. that's 128 players for each team to have 8 players and 192 for each team to have 12 players. 

146 signed up for the player sign up and 26 signed up for midseason with 21 manager sign ups. that's 193 people this season and i think we can get even more next season based off of how many people in official brackets there are who didnt sign up, and we get more people every single season. 

16 teams of 8>10/12 teams of 10 for bracket/math reasons, as well as it allows more people to participate. once upon a time 32 man tourneys were hard to fill. time changed and the community grows and it's time psl grows with it.

15 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

thankyou gunthug i didnt want to agree with doc but you are right draft>auction, but none of these multiple day drafts that end up with players getting bought and sold because everyone was asleep.

also 16 teams 2ou 2uu/one uu + lc 1nu 1doubles 1vgc 1smogon ou/gen 4 ou for a total of 8 players. that's 128 players for each team to have 8 players and 192 for each team to have 12 players. 

146 signed up for the player sign up and 26 signed up for midseason with 21 manager sign ups. that's 193 people this season and i think we can get even more next season based off of how many people in official brackets there are who didnt sign up, and we get more people every single season. 

16 teams of 8>10/12 teams of 10 for bracket/math reasons, as well as it allows more people to participate. once upon a time 32 man tourneys were hard to fill. time changed and the community grows and it's time psl grows with it.

there was a time I respected u

I was thinking about how we could increase the number of teams without flubbing up the number of weeks. Currently, 8 teams equates to 7 matches each and a perfect 7 week system, which feels just right to me. Any longer and I'd go crazy. Expanding to 10 teams would mean 9 weeks of play just to ensure they all play one another. 

If we want more teams, we'd need to reform how the teams play one another during the regular season. 

18 hours ago, Rigamorty said:

So the real question now is, do we find a new host and start season 8 up full throttle no delays, or do we do the highly recommended by most people thing and give it time... 

Reveal hidden contents

FORD IT

Let's try and revive Oregon trail thread 

My psl 7 summary thoughts:

• I think it ran really well, hype was there most of the time and I think JJ did a good job

My psl 8 suggestions:

• 3 OU/ 2 UU/ 2 NU/ bo3 Double/ DPP OU/ Gen 7 OU
  •  Keep DPP, even though I'm biased, in my opinion DPP is the most competitive tier Pokémon has ever had. It may seem like every game comes down to matchup or explosion spam but there is so much more going on. The tier requires a lot of knowledge of the game and tier to preform at a good level. Also the metagame lends itself to every single play style, allowing for hyper offensive to stall playstyles as long as you play well. And yes, Jirachi is utter bullshit, I'll give you Anti DPP guys that one.
  • I actually really enjoyed the weekly power rankings and I think some sort of ranking/weekly shoutout to well preforming players will increase motivation to play at max level every week.
  • In VALE, we had a super active Discord and I think every manager should be highly suggested to use this program. It's so good for scouting, team building, bonding, and whatever else. Discord > team PM anyday
  • riga for host, draekyn for manager

1 minute ago, Torinnnnn said:

10 teams would be lit tbh. More teams , more matches, more hype, more shit talk, more shit managers

10 teams would be lit tbh. More teams , more matches, more hype, more shit talk, more shit managers

2 minutes ago, Torinnnnn said:

more shit managers pls pick me

One possible way to have more teams would be for teams to be smaller. If we had 6 tiers instead of 8/10 - with some potential rotating tiers like in TT, we would have less duels per week, so we could easily make the "standard weeks" shorter. If we can split a week in two, from Tuesday to Friday and from Saturday to Monday, we would then be able to have more PSL teams and we could keep the round robin as a reasonable qualifier.

I really enjoyed VGC this season and I really think we should keep it. However, like I said before, just let the players sign up in whatever they want; the host/community can decide after, not before. I also like the bench tier idea of Moetal from several weeks ago.

Edited by gbwead
58 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

I was thinking about how we could increase the number of teams without flubbing up the number of weeks. Currently, 8 teams equates to 7 matches each and a perfect 7 week system, which feels just right to me. Any longer and I'd go crazy. Expanding to 10 teams would mean 9 weeks of play just to ensure they all play one another. 

If we want more teams, we'd need to reform how the teams play one another during the regular season. 

it's easy. 16 teams round robin with each team fighting two teams per week. after 8 weeks aka 2 months every team would have fought every other team once. further more since your line up for the week would be used for two teams, it would make counter teaming more risky and difficult so people would just play it smart and put their best players in their best tiers. and for the players, planning 2 matches in a week isnt that much harder then planning one. further more this bullshit match avoidance because "if we tie we win" shit would be much harder to do. "you can show up for a match with so and so at this time but not the other guy?". still possible but harder to do without conflicting yourself. 

obviously for the psl manager this would increase the work load of keeping everything straight but thats going to happen anyways as the psl grows. and hey a lot of work comes with the title that's a given.

at the end of the two months you would have the top 4 teams who do single elim as normal.

17 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

it's easy. 16 teams round robin with each team fighting two teams per week. after 8 weeks aka 2 months every team would have fought every other team once. further more since your line up for the week would be used for two teams, it would make counter teaming more risky and difficult so people would just play it smart and put their best players in their best tiers. and for the players, planning 2 matches in a week isnt that much harder then planning one. further more this bullshit match avoidance because "if we tie we win" shit would be much harder to do. "you can show up for a match with so and so at this time but not the other guy?". still possible but harder to do without conflicting yourself. 

obviously for the psl manager this would increase the work load of keeping everything straight but thats going to happen anyways as the psl grows. and hey a lot of work comes with the title that's a given.

at the end of the two months you would have the top 4 teams who do single elim as normal.

When you already have an issue with no shows and Fred tries to go full crazy. 

After reading fred's suggestion, about the new sub rule:

• Players will need to contact their opponent by forum PM to schedule their match as soon as possible
  • If their opponent's inbox is full, then contact that player by posting on their profile feed
  • When you contact your opponent, present at least three (3) different times that you are available throughout the week, preferably on different days
  • Additionally, if your opponent fails to respond within 48 hours they will need to be substituted from the line-up, otherwise they will lose by activity
  • If a substitution is made, it will be as if a new week has started and the players will need to contact one another as outlined above
  • If you are unable to duel, please request a substitution from your manager
  • If you believe your opponent cannot duel or has ignored your PM, please add the host and the related managers to discuss the best outcome

The underlined rules are absolute bullshit imo, if you get subbed right after 48 hours, and have another 48 hours (that's if your opponent contacts you the second you get subbed) and that's pretty much 4 days without a RESPONSE, meaning the agreement on a match can take even longer, and then apparently the sub can't play either so it's an activity decision. I say its an activity win after 48 hours if no replies, its not hard even if you get hit by @TheNightArch's bus to just open up forums from your phone and PM your manager/the host that you're not available; and keep in mind that this isn't 48 hours after the week starts, it's 48 hours after your opponent contacts you. We may have kept the rules stretchable so far, but players havent appreciated it so I suggest we solidify other rules aswell for a season and see how that goes.

Oh also bench players should be in touch with their managers throughout the week aswell, so that the manager can talk to them about if they will be able to agree on a time with the opponent from a timezone or not. PSL will only be a truly joyful experience if all the players have the motivation to do their jobs.

i know he won doubles player, but there should be some type of nod for someone like lkrenz that puts their whole psl team on their back and completely takes control of the season for not just themselves but for their teammates
of course that's what you expect from the person you make captain, which is why you do it, but there's a line between seeing if your teammates scheduled a match yet and reaching out to all of them individually and seeing what you can do to help them be ready each week
in my eyes players like this are just priceless, and it sucks seeing someones season just end when you've put in all the work he has and get no recognition for what you did. Nik too (though im sure frags helped a ton), but just reading nik's comment you can feel all he put in and understand his frustration, and players like that should be recognized for their leadership 

2 hours ago, DoctorPBC said:

there was a time I respected u

i wish i could say the same. i would have said and done anything for forgiveness from a person i respected day one of the argument. 

21 minutes ago, Oltan said:

Oh also bench players should be in touch with their managers throughout the week aswell, so that the manager can talk to them about if they will be able to agree on a time with the opponent from a timezone or not. PSL will only be a truly joyful experience if all the players have the motivation to do their jobs.

that's the managers job and the players job

#shitmanagers 

3 minutes ago, DiDi said:

i know he won doubles player, but there should be some type of nod for someone like lkrenz that puts their whole psl team on their back and completely takes control of the season for not just themselves but for their teammates

the nod will be being bought for a fortune the next season and getting on a good team.