Bottle Caps

aftershocker

Question

In generation 7 a new feature called hyper training was announced. With hyper training you would exchange a bottle cap to maximize the stat of a certain Stat (This is not the same as maximizing the IV itself). Bottle caps are not easy to come by in gen 7 and if they were to be implemented I would suggest it be hard to get as well. Bottle cap'd pokemon do not pass the IV's when breeding and can only be hyper trained if they have reached level 100. That would apply to MMO to make it stable. This would fix 1 major issue with the game being the Hidden power changer dropping your desired stats. If you hyper train a pokemon with 30 IVs in speed (hp fire pokemon) they will have the same speed as a 31 IV pokemon and retain their hp fire. An extra idea would be to add the Golden Bottle Cap as well which maximizes the stats of all the Stats ( would have to be extremely rare, maybe an exclusive tournament prize?) 

For more info: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bottle_Cap 

12 answers to this question

I've been waiting for this suggestion for awhile.

I don't think bringing bottle caps to PokeMMO is a good idea at all, as it undermines the need to breed.

The breeding system is an absolute necessity to an MMO environment; it's the only thing in the whole game that forces the influx of 'mons into the economy to be sunk back on, thus keeping it somewhat stable and things at reasonably the same price.

2 hours ago, Darkshade said:

I don't think bringing bottle caps to PokeMMO is a good idea at all, as it undermines the need to breed.

Does it really?

I mean, it still only maxes one stat. It'd just make breeding easier sometimes. It's a finishing touch on a breed. You're not going to make 15 comps by consuming five bottle caps each. Not to mention people still breed the more cheapo comps with 28s in some stat IVs.

A golden cap in a tourney prize (ie one free comp, maybe a bit op?) well, would still not replace the need to breed your next 15 comps until you win another tourney.

I don't know much about these, i dont know if i like them, havent playd gen 7, but it doesn't sound that balance-breaking.

I think that bottle caps could be entirely fine, especially if you made it where a pokemon can only have one stat maxed by a bottle cap.

this would mean that we could have HP fire's with max speed, which is the main concern that lack of bottle caps creates.

Being able to max a single stat would mean that you had to choose carefully, bottle caps would likely rarely be a better alternative than breeding and also would create, depending on how it is obtained, another rare commodity for the economy to be traded itself.

Plus remember since it isn't increasing the IV, but merely the stats, that pokemon will be forevery 4 or 5 max IV's instead of 5 or 6 which makes it a weaker pokemon for breeding if it were to be used for such, so there are still benefits to the traditional breeding we have even with the current concerns IMO.

Gold bottle caps or allowing multiple to be used on the same pokemon I dont think would be healthy, but having a limit of 1 stat max per poke seems balanced as long as it's made rare enough, thoughts about the 1 stat raise per poke aspect Darkshade?

Edited by Matoka

Just some examples on why I think it would be beneficial to include them.

- Hidden Power pokemon. This feature is already in Gen 7, where pokemon with hidden powers that lower speed (fire, fighting, etc) can speed tie with non hidden power pokemon.

- Genderless or Male exclusive pokemon. The Value of a good IV'ed genderless pokemon is crazy, why should they be any more valuable than another pokemon? With bottle caps it will at least limit the absurd 2mil Tauros that isn't even 5X31. All pokemon should have some limit to breeding and those that are forced to breed with ditto can finally have some sort of scape goat to their problem.

- Legendary pokemon. Although they are not implemented (yet) these pokemon cannot breed, so unless they plan on giving us perfect natured legendarys then we have no way of maxing out a stat. This becomes even more true when we want to give legendary pokemon hidden powers such as hp fire on celebii/jirachi.

- It's Canon

- As far as value goes, The rarity of the item determines alot. The price of a bottlecap might be high up it might not, the value of genderless/ male exclusive pokes will go down but is that really a bad thing? I can pay for a perfect natured mon for half the price of a semi-perfect genderless mon. It's ridiculous to think about  but I think it would be a good play in terms of balancing the value of pokemon.

- Limitations/restrictions. In order for it to be usable in MMO and not make it broken there needs to be rules to using them. 1 idea is where using a bottle cap will give the pokemon a gift ribbon, this makes a pokemon stuck to its trainer and limits the idea of buying a cheap pokemon, bottle capping it and selling for more. Another idea would be to limiting each poke to only being able to use 1 bottle cap making it so you cant just create a perfect pokemon without any breeding necessary.  

On 4/6/2017 at 3:07 PM, Darkshade said:

I've been waiting for this suggestion for awhile.

The breeding system is an absolute necessity to an MMO environment; it's the only thing in the whole game that forces the influx of 'mons into the economy to be sunk back on, thus keeping it somewhat stable and things at reasonably the same price.

I don't feel as the breeding system would be undermined. I mean Egg Moves are still a thing. And if the bottle caps were "hard" to obtain and didn't have a reliable way in obtaining them daily or hourly, breeding would still be used.

Edited by Kite

The only reason why they even added bottle caps in generation 7 is to get all the hackers that use pikahex and other programs even less a reason to hack, because of how easy it is to get a perfect iv Pokémon. Unless PokeMMO has like a secret underground hacking ring (which I would have a hard time thinking there is one) something like this shouldn't be necessary in the game. Besides, breeding in fun on here :D! 

As the original game, 30 shards of  same color =1 bottle cap. Seens Fair, 450~600kfor 1 stat seens good.

As an MMO this game have few stuff craftable, ppmaxes are the only worth ones imo, them u can select  random stuff to be used for that, like lucky egg recipe, or X items with rare drops, etc.

idk if the HP changer works with gift pokes, if yeah this would be nice on them,

11 hours ago, GodofKawaii said:

make them hard to get and only usable of giftmons, Make Giftmons Great!

Hey now there is an idea, would make all the veterans pissed because they probably got rid of there giftmons years ago, but I would totally spend the effort to get caps for my giftmons.