For the 562th time, cancel button.

pachima

Question

I know this is the 562th time someone asks for a cancel button, but come on. Can´t be that hard to do, and it is really useful. (There were some plays in this tournament I really regreted not having one- Even the last turn of finals, I said to my team before opponent moved: Well, gg, just made the worst play possible) And couldn´t go back cuz there is no little friendly button.

Edit: If not, why is that it can´t be done. I can see no harm.

Edited by pachima

1 hour ago, Matoka said:

A surrender match button would also be lovely, afterall "Run" is useless currently.

yeah but could be bad if you missclick and surrender by mistake,I think disconnecting is fine.

Yeah i agree this is a great idea.. If you put a "cancel" button untill your opponent choose his move.. like the more time it spends to think you have a second change to rethink your move. Also an extra button of surrender it would be nice but you should also make it usable after a certain "turn" that can be used so we avoid abusing the surrendering button to "gift" Battle Points. (Example after "turn" 25 you have the option to surrender or something like that).

Pretty sure that anything like a cancel button in this regard hasn't been in any main series Pokémon game. Features of this nature usually are in simulators such as Pokémon Showdown. I'm not against the idea, but we would have to see what lines we want the game itself to cross before we become a community like smogon, which by nature I would like to believe that PokeMMO is different in that regard.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:46 PM, DiDi said:

nab obviously there would be a confirm window 

Yeah but then there'd be that one special snowflake that goes "I'm sorry, I forfited by accidents even though we have 30 security measures beforehand, I didn't read"

Also, you'd think after the 562nd time, they'd stop asking and take the hint

10 hours ago, Spaintakula said:

Also, you'd think after the 562nd time, they'd stop asking and take the hint

Can't do anything cool in life with that mentality Spatula

I can't believe we still don't have a cancel button, weather/screens turn count, stats changes count, status and hp % info on mons that aren't out

At least some of those should be simple additions, they would make playing comp less tedious

Not having to scroll frantically through the battle log to find out how many rain turns Hotarubi has left isn't enjoyable

the downside to this is clock manipulation.  It could also be used in such a way to "gauge" your opponent and then whoever moves first can cancel while the slower player doesn't get the same privilege.

^These things might seem trivial, but if your competing at a high level these small changes will make a big difference, and quit frankly would encourage behavior I would rather not deal with in comp.

1 hour ago, Murcielago said:

the downside to this is clock manipulation.  It could also be used in such a way to "gauge" your opponent and then whoever moves first can cancel while the slower player doesn't get the same privilege.

^These things might seem trivial, but if your competing at a high level these small changes will make a big difference, and quit frankly would encourage behavior I would rather not deal with in comp.

It's actually an integral part of competitive play called bluffing. Letting the timer run to let your opponent think that you have no answer or switch in to the current pokemon on their field and then surprising them has always been a strategy. 

15 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

... obviously...

But do you want to deal with playing vs. kids who make quick plays and then intentionally cancel over and over for example to F* with the clock?

The kids put themselves at a risk with "quick plays" because if the other player makes a quick play then they (kids) can't cancel or undo it. So yes, I don't mind it at all seeing as it doesn't affect my gameplay.   

Edited by NikhilR

Honestly, there are plenty of ways to deal with @Murcielago just stated. Unfortunately, that´s a thing in showdown. People can in fact manipulate clock and stall forever. But we are at pokemmo so things can be different here.

There could for example, be a limit for the times you cancel a move (Come on, u won´t misclick 20 times in a single duel... I guess)

Or maybe canceling a move reduces the time you have available for the next turn.

With this, there isn´t any major advantage to the one who cancels a button besides being able to return back in time before making a crucial mistake.

I thought if you cancel move on showdown the previous one will be executed if you dont manage to pick a new move before your opponent moves. So:

-You clicked on Growl 

-Your opponent is still thinking

-You change your mind and want to suprise him with Tackle, so you click Cancel 

-Your opponent make his mind

Now, If you clicked on Tackle before he picked a move you will obliterate him with Tackle BUT if you was still thinking when he makes his move then Growl is executed.

13 minutes ago, Toupi said:

I thought if you cancel move on showdown the previous one will be executed if you dont manage to pick a new move before your opponent moves. So:

-You clicked on Growl 

-Your opponent is still thinking

-You change your mind and want to suprise him with Tackle, so you click Cancel 

-Your opponent make his mind

Now, If you clicked on Tackle before he picked a move you will obliterate him with Tackle BUT if you was still thinking when he makes his move then Growl is executed.

your point being?

1 hour ago, Toupi said:

Just confused/lost at their arguments over stalling using cancel button 

What he meant is that it basically prolongs the match more than it should. You basically "stall" by stealing time from your opponent's timer and then cancelling a move perhaps 2 seconds before he selects his move (if he's the kind of guy to think around 10 seconds for every move he makes, you can make some estimation off of that and cancel your move at the right moment to optimize your stall). The best scenario to "stall" this way would be when you are in a position where your opponent is forced to switch out and doesn't have a blanket switch in.

Edited by NikhilR

Im not the sharpest tool in a shed so this may be the reason why i still dont get it. Could you write an example of it?

4 hours ago, NikhilR said:

What he meant is that it basically prolongs the match more than it should. You basically "stall" by stealing time from your opponent's timer and then cancelling a move perhaps 2 seconds before he selects his move (if he's the kind of guy to think around 10 seconds for every move he makes, you can make some estimation off of that and cancel your move at the right moment to optimize your stall). The best scenario to "stall" this way would be when you are in a position where your opponent is forced to switch out and doesn't have a blanket switch in.

For now i understand that you on purpose select any move and then think what to do when your oponent is thinking, with this difference that your stoper is not running. Maybe im too casual for this but is stoper time really that valuable resource that you risk wasting turn to save (in best situation) few seconds? Is it common to win due to timer ends for someone?

5 hours ago, Toupi said:

For now i understand that you on purpose select any move and then think what to do when your oponent is thinking, with this difference that your stoper is not running. Maybe im too casual for this but is stoper time really that valuable resource that you risk wasting turn to save (in best situation) few seconds? Is it common to win due to timer ends for someone?

That's why in the official Pokémon company VGC they have a time limit, and if the player is using the timer as a last means of getting a win, would ultimately result in that person losing that match due to unsportly conduct. So in order to have the cancel button itself we need that time limit, which I feel would be a positive step for PokeMMO competitive community.