I have a doubt about moves that cause "flinch"

Gaea

Moves that can cause flinching need to occur before the opposing Pokémon attacks. If a flinching move occurs after the opposing Pokémon attacks, then it'll act as any other move, with no added effect. The move Fake Out will always hit first, however. So if you wish for a move to cause your opponent to flinch just about every time, with the exception of Pokémon with the ability Inner Focus, I'd suggest learning Fake Out. (It only works on the first turn a Pokémon is on the battlefield, however. So once you use it, that's it until you switch out and back in a Pokémon with Fake Out.) As an alternative, you could give a Pokémon a King's Rock and have it use a priority move like Quick Attack, which will also give you a chance of making your opponent flinch with any damaging move. I hope this helps. :3.

Edited by RyukoNotsunaga

Flinch affects only to the current turn. To be precise you do not need to be the first to attack to be able to flinch and I use double battles as an example.

Opposing Pokemon 1 does a move

Your Pokemon 1 does a move

Your Tyranitar uses Rock Slide

Opposing Snorlax can get flinched if you get lucky

I used this example to demonstrate you technically don't need to hit first but the fact flinch only occurs in the turn the move was done means that if you hit last then even if you would "flinch" it doesn't really matter in practice because it only works in current turn.

• Zehkar locked this topic