The Art of Collecting Volcanic Ash

Bestfriends

My Guide and Tutorial  

29 members have voted

1. 1. [For the people who watched my Tutorial video] Did you find the information provided helpful?

• Yes
    • No
    • Somewhat
  2. 2. [For people who read the guide] Did you find the information provided helpful?

• Yes
    • No
    • Somewhat

ba1c1d3f62fc8bf438b5800f1c9b6e4c.png

The Art of Collecting Volcanic Ash

Some people may not know about this activity, so I am asked about my "glass desk in my secret base." I tell them about the Pretty desk and how to obtain it. This idea sparked a guide about this very topic. I was planning for a year about how I can approach this topic and I did it. So, I am going to provide the Ash information down below. After you have read this guide, you can become familiar with the crafting process as a whole.

Here are some fundamental questions about this activity that I am going to discuss....

1. What is a Soot Sack?

2. How do I collect the ash?

3. How do exchange the ash for prizes?

4. Speaking about prizes, what can I get?

5. How much ash can I get from each "section?"

6. Can I use repel and if not, what is an alternative to this?

Figure A

Spoiler

6ecc03448320840a949ba75ac6400490.png

Figure B

Spoiler

e12a732076fa4b64ad38308304361231.png9dd7390a37e0541c15c357f98023e2c4.png

Gameboy/DS Sprite

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 1) What is a Soot Sack?

Answer: Its a key item used to collect ash. You obtain it if you go to Route 113 and to the house shown in Figure A and talk the guy in Figure B. You can "Use" the Soot Sack item to count the amount of ash you have....

0f32ac1a26abb9fcf16697f0d81bdd2a.png

Here is Bulbapedia's definition:

Spoiler

9d5d88f59318b98451820e8720c673f8.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2) How do I collect the ash?

Answer: If you see a "puff" (dba074a13a7cfa17f054108f30d1e1ac.png or a1fa1a81fc3426643f67d8f6fb61eae5.png), then you can collect ash from it. One puff is equivalent to one step in ash.1c40e1e6e8cb909a8717cee1df5c00db.png

Question 3) How do exchange the ash for prizes?

Answer: Go to the house shown in Figure A on Route 113 and then talk to the guy you got your Soot Sack from (Figure B).

Question 4) Speaking about prizes, what can I get?

Answer: Here is a list courtesy of Bulbapedia:

Spoiler

b6d447cfa7cdc688dae7ffde94f7649d.png

Question 5) How much ash can I get from each "section?"

Answer: Here is the maps. (I did a lot of trial and error to get to these numbers)

Route 113:

Spoiler

6b8f4f1f75bea98bf26d261d0eaed46f.png

Section A: 70 steps

Section B: 71 steps

Section C: 65 steps

Section D: 64 steps

All the Sections: 270 steps per run

Jagged Pass:

Spoiler

5b4cc8dde5a73f2e1515eba158c54eaa.png

Section A: 8 steps

Section B: 9 steps

All the Sections: 17 steps per run

6. Can I use repel and if not, what is an alternative to this?

Answer: You are not allowed to use repel, but you are allowed to carry a level 100 8Eg6eul.pngMuk with the Stench ability or a level 100 Pokemon-Sprites--GuidesTorkoal with the White Smoke ability.

Answer 2: You can also hold a Cleanse Tag which can help to repel encounters while collecting ash.B3GwjDz.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Figure A

Spoiler

6ecc03448320840a949ba75ac6400490.png

Figure B

Spoiler

e12a732076fa4b64ad38308304361231.png9dd7390a37e0541c15c357f98023e2c4.png

Gameboy/DS Sprite

Edited by Bestfriends
Added Torkoal to the Repel Section.

You can EV train special attack while collecting ash,it takes more time, but you get decent amount of ash.

Pickup, payday also works, you can get metal coat/charcoal and about 150$ per battle.

Edit: Ash "restarts" after you enter any building, exiting and reentering route doesnt work.

This is the most optimal route I found. Enter building to "restart" ash, repeat.

Spoiler

5sLHqE0.png

Edited by Bartolomew
2 hours ago, Bartolomew said:

You can EV train special attack while collecting ash,it takes more time, but you get decent amount of ash.

Pickup, payday also works, you can get metal coat/charcoal and about 150$ per battle.

Edit: Ash "restarts" after you enter any building, exiting and reentering route doesnt work.

This is the most optimal route I found. Enter building to "restart" ash, repeat.

Hide contents

5sLHqE0.png

Thank you for the correction, I will make a note of it in my vid via annotation and description.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:05 AM, Bluebird said:

Oh I always wondered how many steps I did per run.

You might wanna add that you could use a Pokemon with the Stench ability to avoid a few more encounters.

I can add that in my text segment though

Edited by Bestfriends
Made this comment more appealing.

Didnt know about it :o Thanks for the guide !

Also, as it is mainly meant to be a guide, you should not put the "written part" in spoiler maybe ? Also you should put the pictures in spoilers, making it easier to read imo.

Havent watched the video yet, pretty cool to have it tho.

10 hours ago, Raederz said:

Didnt know about it :o Thanks for the guide !

Also, as it is mainly meant to be a guide, you should not put the "written part" in spoiler maybe ? Also you should put the pictures in spoilers, making it easier to read imo.

Havent watched the video yet, pretty cool to have it tho.

Good catch, I can do a couple of adjustments.

I made the video for people who want to see the process in action rather than reading a wall of text. Since I am a YouTuber, I figured that my footage would be helpful for not just me, but for other guide makers that want a motion picture of the process at work.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I think a better route is to collect all or most 270 ash bushes is to go right from Fallabor Town's pokecentre until u reach the end and have covered most/all of the 270 steps of ash, and then use 'teleport' to warp back to Fallabor Town's pokecentre (this will 'restart' the ash), and then continue the cycle over again.

On 3/1/2017 at 7:06 AM, Bartolomew said: