Question about pokemon in general with PokeMMO

When I was little I played Pokemon Leafgreen and Pokemon Pearl. Played and beat both games and never really thought of the ideas on PokeMMO has...

What I mean is I see on the forums the Competitive forum for battle others. I see these "tiers" I've never heard about in single player pokemon... Uber? UU? UO? Whatever those acronyms before. What it means when the Moderator says, "legendaries are banned from Uber."? Is the legendary only banned from Uber or from UU.. UO.. IO whatever else too. 

Why are pokemon moves banned from whatever acronym too. Why is that? 

How do Moderators pick what pokemon/pokemon moves is banned/used in competitive play?

Was the idea of "item farming" a thing people did in single player games? 

**For Competitive play people** How do you know what pokemon to train for competitive play and knowing what moves you need for it?

I never really heard/understood "shiny" pokemon before PokeMMO... I know what those are lol...  Never knew single player games had those...

Thanks.

I see the quote in your sig still holds up.

4 minutes ago, AppleJacks said:

How do Moderators pick what pokemon/pokemon moves is banned/used in competitive play?

Tier council decides, not staff

5 minutes ago, AppleJacks said:

Why are pokemon moves banned from whatever acronym too. Why is that? 

Unhealthy for the tier

5 minutes ago, AppleJacks said:

**For Competitive play people** How do you know what pokemon to train for competitive play and knowing what moves you need for it?

Checking usage statistics and watching replays of officials

6 minutes ago, AppleJacks said:

What I mean is I see on the forums the Competitive forum for battle others. I see these "tiers" I've never heard about in single player pokemon... Uber? UU? UO? Whatever those acronyms before. What it means when the Moderator says, "legendaries are banned from Uber."? Is the legendary only banned from Uber or from UU.. UO.. IO whatever else too. 

Uber (too powerful for OU), OU (Over Used, most used pokemon), UU (Under Used, less used pokemon), NU (Never Used, least used pokemon). Legendaries cannot be kept right now, but are banned still because of their power. Anything in Uber is banned from OU, UU and NU.

11 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

I see the quote in your sig still holds up.

Tier council decides, not staff

Unhealthy for the tier

Checking usage statistics and watching replays of officials

Uber (too powerful for OU), OU (Over Used, most used pokemon), UU (Under Used, less used pokemon), NU (Never Used, least used pokemon). Legendaries cannot be kept right now, but are banned still because of their power. Anything in Uber is banned from OU, UU and NU.

Ok one more I forgot.

Was IVs in single player pokemon too or did the game devs make those? 

Did IVs affect the single player mode like they seem to do in PokeMMO?

8 minutes ago, AppleJacks said:

Ok one more I forgot.

Was IVs in single player pokemon too or did the game devs make those? 

Did IVs affect the single player mode like they seem to do in PokeMMO?

IVs have existed since the first pokemon games, yes they function in the same way (although in some of the earlier games IVs affected weather a pokemon was shiny or not, which in newer games and pokemmo is decided by a separate factor).

not all pokemon were designed with game balanced inmind, so some are really really good, others are trash.

'ubers' are just pokemon that are too strong to play with. makes the game not fun. it's cheating.

;overused' is just all the pokemon that are really good. people will use aerodactyl, venusaur, etc, because they are really good pokemon.

The problem is if people only ever play the best pokemon, there will only be like 20 different competitive pokemon. Things like Altaria will never get played because they're just not that good.

so people created an 'underused tier' which is basically a custom ruleset that bans all the 'good pokemon', so everyone plays with 'bad pokemon' but it makes it fair.

'never used' is just banning all the bad pokemon and playing with even worse ones so that people can play with golducks and shit.

thanks to these tiers, we can see competitive torkoals and other god awful pokemon. So pretty much every pokemon has a competitive use somewhere.

the mods don't really decide what pokemon goes in which tier-- it's mostly based on usage statistics. if a pokemon is used in half the battles, it is literally 'over used'. if it's used less than 4% of the time or so, it is 'underused'.