[PSL 7] Week Four

2 hours ago, LionKIng said:

lmao foggi a real genius, distracting spaint so his butt buddy can have a free win. EZ, spaint played right into it hahaa.

I mean, after those 2 pump misses and the freeze, pretty much anything or anyone would tilt me, can't deny I wasn't pissed, but it wasn't him specifically.

And to clear things up.

51 minutes ago, Rigamorty said:

Legit question, how do the rest of people feel about "stealing teams" in showdown tiers. granted foggi thinking that spaint must've seen it from raptori and used it because of that seems dumb, because its obviously from somewhere else. 

Some of my matches I'll use self-made teams if I feel confident against the person, but like NikhilR noticed during my match with gunthug a few seasons ago, I used Somalia's stall team.

Not sure if it was him just trying to tick me off, or it was him being a complete moron. Not that big of an idiot to directly use a team that Rapt would use. For all that matters, I didn't even know rapt used that team, because I hardly ever use replays to watch opponents, might end up just quickly swifting through if needed.

As for the team itself, I've been around a few of the people which foggi or rapt, or me, or whoever else has "stolen" teams from. Pretty sure only foggi would be pissed about someone using his teams(if he has any) mostly because he's a 24/7 hour open salt mine, buuuuuuut that's totally unrelated and I'm steering off my point

Predictions

Spoiler

The Outraging Lions (5) vs Top Kecleons (5)

OU: Schuchty vs Senjutsuka

OU: KingBowser vs Artemiseta
OU: Zymogen vs Tranzmaster

UU: Kanzo vs Guerinf

UU: xYggdrasilx vs Forfiter

NU: TheBloo vs Erayne

NU: LifeStyle vs didistutter

Doubles: DoubleJ vs XPLOZ

DPP: Gunthug vs Kriger

VGC17: BlueBreath vs OldKeith

VALE (0) vs [MISC] Aesthetics Crew (0)

OU: LucasCisneros vs enchanteur

OU: EpicVerde vs Raaidn
OU: Abdou vs Maekaaay

UU: Osuki vs Sebat Either way tbh.

UU: LeJovi vs Predakiller

NU: SejuaniSupport vs Lazaaro

NU: Miguelez vs Dolittle

Doubles: LuisPocho vs Lkrenz

DPP: Kimikozen vs Btooom!

VGC17: Rendiz vs Tryss

Kakuna Matatas (3) vs Giant Legends (7)

OU: Fipp vs Kriliin

OU: OrangeManiac vs Xilias
OU: aftershocker vs soyhector

UU: Mlhawk vs NikhilR

UU: Kalisweet vs belieberboy

NU: Burntzebra vs Frags

NU: Parke vs Mnemosyne

Doubles: Pinkwings vs Zigh

DPP: SweeTforU vs Foggi

VGC17: Oltann vs Linken

Edited by xStarr
2 hours ago, Rigamorty said:

Legit question, how do the rest of people feel about "stealing teams" in showdown tiers. granted foggi thinking that spaint must've seen it from raptori and used it because of that seems dumb, because its obviously from somewhere else. 

Some of my matches I'll use self-made teams if I feel confident against the person, but like NikhilR noticed during my match with gunthug a few seasons ago, I used Somalia's stall team.

Haha the only reason I noticed that you had used Somalia's stall team is because I had used it just a couple or so weeks ago vs Telf (during that same season).

Anyways to answer your question, before I face my PSL opponent, I really choose what I want my team built around. Accordingly, I look or ask around for teams that have had success around that particular strategy. I don't directly copy paste the team because I have issues with being unable to use a pokemon to its maximum potential. Like I avoid teams that revolve around Abomasnow / TR Bronzong because they involve so much prediction and an easy misplay could just cost you. So I make some changes to become more comfortable with it.

2 PSL seasons ago I started DPP with my own teams and I had the worst streak, 3 straight losses. I was a terrible builder but a good player and I had to find a way to patch up my weakness, so I started watching replays of TONS of players and understanding how they play. The concept of how they play involves what pokemon do they keep alive, what do they sack, when do they decide to sack etc. Since then, I've had a 100% winrate, so using others' teams definitely helps me out.

Now if you ask is there a disadvantage to this. then yes there is. It's that there is no team preview in DPP, which means that if you know what team your opponent is using, you have the upper hand at knowing what pokemon you should keep alive and what to expect from your opponent. In order to know what team a person is using, you need to have watched almost all of the DPP replays of past SPL seasons, Smog Tours and WCOP etc.

A week ago there was that DPP ladder tournament and here ya go:

285ca70600.JPG

w4 riversong is a smogon player called Nightfox, who is one of the best DPP'ers out there. Watching these replays not only gives you access to good teams, but also teaches you how to use these teams well. 

Edited by NikhilR
5 hours ago, OldKeith said:

People are bitter about "stealing" teams when their teambuilding is not very good. The way I see it, there should be no problem being heavily inspired by someone's team, or even completely copying it. First of all, there is a concern about time. Your time and experience with using teams is only limited, so it is more efficient to use somebody's optimized build when you have no time to test for hundreds of games (yes I believe it takes hundreds to perfect an original build). Second of all, some people are simply not as good at building teams as they are at piloting them. And the opposite. In the VGC community you hear lots of stories about successful teams not piloted by their inventor. Lastly, if you will only build your own teams that is a very ignorant and narrow path you take; it makes you far more limited being stubborn with your builds than trying out different teams from different minds.

I agree with most of this bar the last part. When you first begin a new tier generally it's safest to copy other teams, see what's what in the tier, who the threats are and what can take them out. But after a while you'll tend to get to know the tier rather well which is when you should be able to teambuild on your own and still get wins from it. It's fine to use a pre-built team sometimes but it's very short sighted to only use teams that other people have made and used, other people may know the team as well so there is no surprise factor and if everybody is using the same few teams it makes the tier stale since there is no innovation.

It's hard to be innovative in a 10year old metagame so what I say won't be directed towards dpp, but rather in general with Pokemmo and the new gen 7 tiers. If you can build a team well and run the calcs to know your team well enough, I see no reason why you shouldn't build your own teams. You would be the only person that knows what it can and cannot do compared to the ever popular pre-built teams