The next generation is ...

Toupi

2 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Ok lets just ignore that pulling up to a girl and cat-calling them will get you anywhere for starters.  Now that thats out of the way I can actually address your statement. 

Heres the thing:  The car still runs.  You didnt need the new car.  And since you know the old car is of good build and quality (from having survived for so long) why take the gamble for a new car that you have no idea whether it is going to spontaneously combust or not. 

Your car was not broken.  It got the job done.  Instead of wasting all this time, money, and effort on buying a new car all you needed to do was buy a new body kit or add some new upgrades to the engine to keep it going (ie new MMO-based features).  At the end of the day you simply cast aside your old car, one you grew to love.  For one you may not actually grow to love as much.   If you decide you miss it.... well thats too bad.  You already sold it.  Now you are stuck with a new car that very well may not be up to par of the same quality as the old one.

You obviously did not read my analogy.

4 minutes ago, Gilan said:

no you clearly didn't. read it again. You'll find that I bought no new car.

Ok so i misinterpreted what you said.  Regardless my point is still there and you have failed to address it in your last 2 posts which simply called me out.  Analogies aside:  We dont need a new (old) region to pull new players.  In fact, more people are likely to be drawn to play this game if it has something unique to offer.  Such as gen 3 that is actually interesting and fun.  If we update to gen 4 we might as well just play gen 4 on pokemon showdown. 

8 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Ok so i misinterpreted what you said.  Regardless my point is still there and you have failed to address it in your last 2 posts which simply called me out.

Yes I called you out cause you didn't actually read my post and preceded to bash me over it.

8 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Analogies aside:  We dont need a new (old) region to pull new players.  In fact, more people are likely to be drawn to play this game if it has something unique to offer.  Such as gen 3 that is actually interesting and fun.

Having more pokemon is a better draw than being "unique". When a new player comes and looks a pokemmo they aren't going to care that it's such a unique meta with only 3rd gen pokemon but a mix of 4th-6th gen mechanics. They are going to care way more about what pokemon they can catch to put on their storyline team.

Players generally only care about the meta once they actually get into comp (which is post storyline). So if you actually want to bring in new players, you improve the new player experience (the storyline) first.

11 minutes ago, Xatu said:

If we update to gen 4 we might as well just play gen 4 on pokemon showdown. 

This argument has been used many times in the past, and it really isn't very sound. Pokemmo provides more reward, interaction, and a more holistic, original experience, than what you can get from showdown. Pokemmo remains an rpgmmo, showdown remains a battle simulator. Stripping down Pokemmo to only it's competitive, battle environment undermines many aspects of the game.

6 hours ago, Kyu said:

This is not a Gen 3 game.

Edit; You might think that way, because that's all we could offer, but it was never the intention.

Regardless of the "intention".  This is what is offered.  You can't simply take away the core gameplay and replace it with another one.  Once you do this it will become #NotMyMMO.  We dont even know if we will like the new meta or not.  Why take that risk?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Rule #1 in video-game development. 

It's PokeMMO not 3rdGenMMO

We dont even know if we will like the new meta or not. 

People didn't know if they'd like the split or not either, or the addition of Milotic, or the addition of Hoenn starters, or the updated movepools or the meta without Gengar, or whatever either yet those risks paid off.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Rule #1 in video-game development. 

One tier is being fucked silly by an egg, Another one is full of Pokemon that don't have good STAB moves that were implemented in gen4, another one is full of Pokemon that get Cross-Gen evolutions that salvage their lines from being garbage that has to rely on Toxic to deal any real damage.

You can't simply take away the core gameplay and replace it with another one.

You're acting like MMOs don't do this all the time, WoW has a metric fuckload of expansions, Ragnarok Online had Renewal, Maple Story had Big Bang, there are purists that hate these changes but in the end the majority tends to stick with them.

Sorry fam but at this point if the devs want to implement the new generation, they won't let all that work go to waste because a few people, as well as an imaginary number of silent players who want to stay in gen3. Until  these really silent players suddenly speak up and overshadow the amount of people who want the new gen I doubt the devs would show a real interest of throwing perhaps months of work down the drain.

20 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Regardless of the "intention".  This is what is offered.  You can't simply take away the core gameplay and replace it with another one.  Once you do this it will become #NotMyMMO.  We dont even know if we will like the new meta or not.  Why take that risk?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Rule #1 in video-game development. 

You obviously do not see the reason behind adding a next generation. This game started out as a gen 3 game correct, but as Kyu just said it was never intended to be one. Just the sheer amount of next generation mechanics we currently have just make it alot easier to add a next generation. Since we basically have gen 3 pokemon with next generation mechanics. On to top of that sure a new generation might potentially lose some players, but honestly it will also bring in alot of players. Also "If it ain't broke don't fix it" really doesn't apply here since they arent "fixing" anything. They are basically adding new content for the people to enjoy. And as far as I know adding new content for the players to enjoy is the point of developing a game. 

This game has done some pretty awesome stuff making this game enjoyable. My advise is just wait and see the update for yourself and then talk about how good or bad it is. Because the developers aren't bound to the original pokemon games. As you can clearly see that right now. So they can do wahtever they'd like.

2 minutes ago, Kyu said:

I don't particularly care if you guys are really attached to Gen 3 for whatever reason. It's not going anywhere. You can go sit in Viridian & spam LF 6V6 TORNEO whenever.

Yeah, we can actually.

Ok. Sorry to hear that. We're pretty sure most people will enjoy it, though.

Because we think it's a better foundation and will appeal to more people.

Regardless of what you think, we can pick up on the sentiment that nearly everybody's really god damn bored, and they want something new. We are doing what we think is best for the game we made, and you all enjoy. This may not be what you want, but it's what we think most people want, hence why we're doing it.

I accept this I guess.  I honestly just viewed pokeMMO as a god-tier mod that allows you to play pokemon fire red version and emerald online.  This is where the attachment is based i guess, in a sort of "upgraded emulation" type experience.  A way to play these roms in a whole new way.

That is the magic of it.  The game was never meant to be an MMO in the first place.  It has come so far adding to gen 3 and making it more and more fun. 

I appreciate the idea of gen 4 online too, but i guess i just have a personal bias to gen 3.  I just wish both could exist independently instead of it just being forgotten and cast aside. 

Maybe two separate servers could work.  Old and new like the PTS.  Id donate myself to help it happen or start a patreon for it.

13 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Maybe two separate servers could work.  Old and new like the PTS.  Id donate myself to help it happen or start a patreon for it.

This idea was discussed back when we made the switch from catchmmo to breed mmo (or from gen3 mechanics to split..... I honestly forget, but in that general time frame), and it was pretty much decided that splitting the pokemmo player base was a bad idea.

edit: not even taking into account the hassle of having to host and maintain a completely new server without an increase in staff.

Edited by Gilan
1 hour ago, Kyu said:

I don't particularly care if you guys are really attached to Gen 3 for whatever reason. It's not going anywhere. You can go sit in Viridian & spam LF 6V6 TORNEO whenever.

Yeah, we can actually.

Ok. Sorry to hear that. We're pretty sure most people will enjoy it, though.

Because we think it's a better foundation and will appeal to more people.

Regardless of what you think, we can pick up on the sentiment that nearly everybody's really god damn bored, and they want something new. We are doing what we think is best for the game we made, and you all enjoy. This may not be what you want, but it's what we think most people want, hence why we're doing it.

My new Hero ^

1 hour ago, Gilan said:

This idea was discussed back when we made the switch from catchmmo to breed mmo (or from gen3 mechanics to split..... I honestly forget, but in that general time frame), and it was pretty much decided that splitting the pokemmo player base was a bad idea.

edit: not even taking into account the hassle of having to host and maintain a completely new server without an increase in staff.

well i think this change is much more drastic and could actually warrant the use of the separate server.  As for the increase in staff.  Thats what the money is for as well as bandwidth.

4 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

dude you have the worst ideas

Its easy to talk down to others but nobody else is coming up with ideas.  I am simply stating possibilities.  If the money and support is there, why not?

Just now, DoctorPBC said:

the playerbase is not, it would be a dead server and any money spent would be a waste

Way to speak for the entire playerbase.  And any money spent is good.  The devs deserve all the support they can get.