The next generation is ...

Toupi

some questions here:

1) Dragon is my favorite pokemon type. without new generation Pokemon, how am I supposed to have my full Dragon team? (need dem pokes)

2) Doesn't introducing newer pokemon also introduce new party combos to a game that desperately needs it? (isn't more diversity a good thing? I'm fairly certain that others feel this way too)

3) If you are only playing for nostalgia and don't like the newer gens, don't you have the option to not get involved with the newer gen content if you don't want to? (sure not everyone wants new Pokemon and new Region, and what not, but does that mean that you can just kill the hopes and dreams of the people who want this new stuff?)

4) Where in the forums or on the home page does it say that this is a Gen 3 exclusive game? and if it isn't, then doesn't that mean that the game is always subject to change? (Personally I never heard of this being a Gen 3 exclusive game before, nor did I ever view it as being such a thing, seeing as they have already changed MANY major things that existed in the original games to give it a more personalized feel)

Finally, I think I should state now that I have nothing against you @Bestfriends, in fact, I am friends with you in game, but these next few questions are specifically for you.

5) How does the addition of new Pokemon in a Gen 3 format not "feel right" ? isn't that an opinion? I mean, they are all Pokemon, regardless of which Gen they come from, right? (and so far as I can tell, the only thing giving this a Gen 3 atmosphere is the graphics of the game, seeing as all Pokemon have stats, and the goal is really the same in every game, being Collect badges (Trial stamps in sun and moon), beat down criminals, and beat the league. Feels fine to me, so long as they keep the new Pokemon out of the other regions or make them super rare in those regions)

6) with the whole "dogs" thing, what is the plan? what happens when the old dogs die? in the real world, you wouldn't put 30 year old people in a retirement home, because there are always more old people coming in as the older ones die. thinking like this, how are we supposed to get new old people to move here and keep this place open? same situation here, how are you supposed to keep the servers running if you don't add more Pokemon to the game eventually?(the reason I am so off and on with this game is actually the lack of pokemon, as I feel that the 386 available in gen 3 are getting boring after 5 years of no change, and again, I'm sure I'm not the only one)

7) can I see the results of your polls? no offense, but I tend to not believe something that big without some evidence to back it up

8) for as many people who would potentially leave the game because of the new pokemon being added, don't you think that there would also be equally as many who would join up? or is there evidence to support that this group of people that would like to see these changes doesn't exist?

To anyone who reads this, keep in mind my mind set(OPINION):

-I do NOT play competitively, due to the introduction of tiers, which I view as unnecessary(why would I want extra rules that keep me from using the pokemon that I like and that I put a ton of effort in to breeding and training? I mean, I guess you could argue that they are there to make the game more balanced and fair, but that makes no sense to me at all, since I have played since Pokemon's release (started with Red))

-Seeing as I don't believe in tiers, I don't think of the game as a competitive one, as I am here for fun, not to be the best

-Just because I'm not a competitive player doesn't invalidate my above statements

-I'm not here to start or join a debate, I am here to help get the purists(sorry, couldn't think of another way to put it) off of the backs of the people who are trying to be optimistic

6 hours ago, mmead said:

some questions here:

1) Dragon is my favorite pokemon type. without new generation Pokemon, how am I supposed to have my full Dragon team? (need dem pokes)

2) Doesn't introducing newer pokemon also introduce new party combos to a game that desperately needs it? (isn't more diversity a good thing? I'm fairly certain that others feel this way too)

3) If you are only playing for nostalgia and don't like the newer gens, don't you have the option to not get involved with the newer gen content if you don't want to? (sure not everyone wants new Pokemon and new Region, and what not, but does that mean that you can just kill the hopes and dreams of the people who want this new stuff?)

4) Where in the forums or on the home page does it say that this is a Gen 3 exclusive game? and if it isn't, then doesn't that mean that the game is always subject to change? (Personally I never heard of this being a Gen 3 exclusive game before, nor did I ever view it as being such a thing, seeing as they have already changed MANY major things that existed in the original games to give it a more personalised feel)

Finally, I think I should state now that I have nothing against you @Bestfriends, in fact, I am friends with you in game, but these next few questions are specifically for you.

5) How does the addition of new Pokemon in a Gen 3 format not "feel right" ? isn't that an opinion? I mean, they are all Pokemon, regardless of which Gen they come from, right? (and so far as I can tell, the only thing giving this a Gen 3 atmosphere is the graphics of the game, seeing as all Pokemon have stats, and the goal is really the same in every game, being Collect badges (Trial stamps in sun and moon), beat down criminals, and beat the league. Feels fine to me, so long as they keep the new Pokemon out of the other regions or make them super rare in those regions)

6) with the whole "dogs" thing, what is the plan? what happens when the old dogs die? in the real world, you wouldn't put 30 year old people in a retirement home, because there are always more old people coming in as the older ones die. thinking like this, how are we supposed to get new old people to move here and keep this place open? same situation here, how are you supposed to keep the servers running if you don't add more Pokemon to the game eventually?(the reason I am so off and on with this game is actually the lack of pokemon, as I feel that the 386 available in gen 3 are getting boring after 5 years of no change, and again, I'm sure I'm not the only one)

7) can I see the results of your polls? no offense, but I tend to not believe something that big without some evidence to back it up

8) for as many people who would potentially leave the game because of the new pokemon being added, don't you think that there would also be equally as many who would join up? or is there evidence to support that this group of people that would like to see these changes doesn't exist?

Good morning mmread, just like @Gunthug, @suigin, @Vanozz, and @Toupi (tell me if I missed anyone), I love the exchange of ideas. It puts a light on the prospectives of other viewpoints. With that being said, let me answer questions 1-4 with my viewpoints and then we can debate 5-8. Lets begin..

1. I would like to ask you a question, do you think Garchamp is going to help your cause? I have a gut feeling that the Tier List Council might have one look at it (like Ttar) and ban it. You may tell me that Bronzong can levitate and help your cause, but the Dragon guy can pack a fire breathing Salamance and Dragonite. The dragons can easily take down some pokemon in Gen 4 which would make the gen useless against them.

2. Its like the dog example I was expressing earlier. You can teach an old dog new tricks (Scizor learning X-Scissor), but lets just overwhelm Scizor with Infernape and Magmortar, yeah that Scizor is not coming out alive. Electrive can Earthquake things which is unprecedented for an electric type (yes it would be cool, but it would be a little frightening). I am not really an expert in Gen 4 personally, but lets just say I watch a fair amount of PIMPANITE videos.

3. So your supporting an "outcast" mentality. I am afraid of conversations like this...

Seasoned PokeMMO Player: "Hahahahaha... do you know what a Toxicroak is?"

New Player: "No"

Seasoned PokeMMO Player: "Its a frog with a red ball in the center, man your so stupid. Do you even know the typing of this frog?"

New Player: "Well it has 'Toxic' in its name, so poison?"

Seasoned PokeMMO Player: "and....."

New Player: "Well its a frog like Venusaur, so is it grass type also?"

Seasoned PokeMMO Player: "No, you idiot, its a Poison/Fighting type, man your dumb!"

New player then quits PokeMMO and isolates himself with his GameCube and N64 (imagine this happening with a few more people).

4. It is implied that this is a Gen 3 game. If I went in game, there are two regions I can go to. The background of the game also implies it. Its like an armoured knight with a metal sword fighting against darth vader from star wars. Wouldn't that be a little out of the norm (I mean you could argue that Luke shooting teddy bears is a little crazy, but the teddy bears do attack him though).

I have nothing against you either, but I like debating. Now here is where the fun beings....

5. Old people with fellow old people is fine. If your 50-(max age), it would be normal for you to go into a retirement home, but if your 30 something, it would look a little odd. I know that you said that a 30 year old going into a retirement home is not a reality, but Gen 4 pokemon are like 30 year olds. Care takers not frightened by the elderly men flirting with them, but lets just invite 30 year olds, and lets just say there is going to be widespread worker discomfort in the retirement home. Gen 4 are not old yet, they need a few more years before they qualify.

6. Dogs = Pokemon; Unlike dogs, pokemon don't die; Yes, but pokemon don't die, so this is not a fair argument. Pokemon can age, but they cannot die. This is a gen 3 atmopshere with new doggy toys (gen 4 comp items) and mechanics (gen 4 style).

7. I was not "actively" polling people as in Excel, but I was polling new people in game. I helped 10 people that day (and I am going to respect their privacy, so I am not going to release any names), and I asked in passing "there is a lot of talk that PokeMMO is planning on the implementation of Gen 4 pokemon." I am met with either "lets hope that is not true, I came here to walk around Gen 3's habit (or something like that)" or at least two people tell me "Cool, I want that" or "I don't care." I cut out the bias because it was random people on the street, but I was helping them. I seem to remember asking at least 10 people in passing that question, 7 said no, 2 said yes, and 1 was apathetic.

8. If PokeMMO advertises itself as a game generally for people 18 and up, I think people want to go back to their childhood. Just as proof, I happen to live in a College city and I asked them about pokemon (in passing), more than half of them told me about Gen 1-2 pokemon, they were willing to pass on Gen 3 pokemon, but Gen 4 and up was their limit. No, but forums is a biased polling system because most players on here don't have forums.

16 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

Seasoned PokeMMO Player: "No, you idiot, its a Poison/Fighting type, man your dumb!"

New player then quits PokeMMO and isolates himself with his GameCube and N64 (imagine this happening with a few more people).

who the hell would quit a game due to an insult from a stranger, over the internet.

@Bestfriends

How about this analogy?

You are in highschool and you drive an old worn-down car. The car works great for driving your friends around to go to restaurants and people's houses to drink and party. But whenever you try to drive up and try to pick up a hot girl, she immediately turns away and leaves.

So, seeing as you really want to pick up all the hot chicks walking on the side of the road, you to upgrade your car and spec it out. Your friends still recognize it, cause deep down it's the same car, just with badass new wheels and paint. However, now with this new shiny beast you can pick up all the hot girls you want.

You = the devs

friends = the player base

car = the pokemon

hot girls = potential new players

upgrade = the new generation

10 minutes ago, Gilan said:

The hostility in this post is way too much dude. Tone it down, lmao. No need to get snarky at Bestfriends, sheesh.

tbh your post is better as an argument I just don't wanna discuss this anymore because we'd be just shouting "NUH-UH" or "YUH-UH" at each other for 20 pages without convincing each other at all

but that interaction he just cited is just silly, it'd either happen among really close friends or the New Player just so happened to find an ultra douchebag trying to roleplay as Gary Oak trying to roleplay as Chad Thunderuguu

Edit:Before actually reading his post I assumed he was calling me out to discuss even more and not just as a citation, forgive me if a mod reads this pls delete that last post

Edited by suigin
2 minutes ago, suigin said:

tbh your post is better as an argument I just don't wanna discuss this anymore because we'd be just shouting "NUH-UH" or "YUH-UH" at each other for 20 pages without convincing each other at all

but that interaction he just cited is just silly, it'd either happen among really close friends or the New Player just so happened to find an ultra douchebag trying to roleplay as Gary Oak trying to roleplay as Chad Thunderuguu

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you that Bestfriend's hypothetical dialogue is ridiculous. There is just no reason to be so overly sarcastic and hostile to him. If you want out of the argument, just say so.

2 hours ago, Gilan said:

@Bestfriends

How about this analogy?

You are in highschool and you drive an old worn-down car. The car works great for driving your friends around to go to restaurants and people's houses to drink and party. But whenever you try to drive up and try to pick up a hot girl, she immediately turns away and leaves.

So, seeing as you really want to pick up all the hot chicks walking on the side of the road, you to upgrade your car and spec it out. Your friends still recognize it, cause deep down it's the same car, just with badass new wheels and paint. However, now with this new shiny beast you can pick up all the hot girls you want.

You = the devs

friends = the player base

car = the pokemon

hot girls = potential new players

upgrade = the new generation

Ok lets just ignore that pulling up to a girl and cat-calling them will get you anywhere for starters.  Now that thats out of the way I can actually address your statement. 

Heres the thing:  The car still runs.  You didnt need the new car.  And since you know the old car is of good build and quality (from having survived for so long) why take the gamble for a new car that you have no idea whether it is going to spontaneously combust or not. 

Your car was not broken.  It got the job done.  Instead of wasting all this time, money, and effort on buying a new car all you needed to do was buy a new body kit or add some new upgrades to the engine to keep it going (ie new MMO-based features).  At the end of the day you simply cast aside your old car, one you grew to love.  For one you may not actually grow to love as much.   If you decide you miss it.... well thats too bad.  You already sold it.  Now you are stuck with a new car that very well may not be up to par of the same quality as the old one.