*Results* Creative Writing Contest: A New Perspective

Noad

IGN: GergFalerg

:D

Hard Rock Life

[Hey there dude. Yeah you, the reader. You must be wondering who or what I am, or why I can talk to you. Well, all you need to know dude is that my name is Frederock but you can just call me Fred, I’m a geodude and I can talk to you dude. I don’t know exactly how it works but ask the writer dude. I guess he thought it would be easier to write a story in my perspective if he used this. Anyway, let’s start the story.]

One day, I was walking along my route in the cave, looking for precious everstones or fossils. I knew that if I found one, I could rub it in Blarney’s face. [Blarney is my bro dude by the way.] After a while of searching, I noticed that Blarney wasn’t around. I could see Cole, Marl, Frank and some other geodudes but no bro dude. So I decided to ask around.

I called out, “Hey Cole, have you seen Blarney around?”

He looked at me with a sad look and said, “No, dude.”

I asked, “What’s wrong dude?” 

He replied, “A trainer took my everstone dude.”

I shook my head, “When will our suffering end?! We neeeed the precious!” [I was a bit overdramatic.]

Cole looked at me with a face that implied, “What’s wrong with this dude?”

“Sorry” [My plan worked, he was no longer sad. Now he just thinks I’m a weirdo.]

He started to walk away and said, “Maybe you should try asking Marl if he has seen Blarney around.”

I looked around for Marl and saw him immediately. He seemed to have challenged another geodude to a “Rock Off”. [You see, a “Rock Off” is a sort of geodude custom. It is our way of establishing dominance over others to climb up the geodude heirarchy. It’s mostly just clashing and butting of heads.] I got closer to the spectacle. There were a few spectators there, some geodudes, a few zubats and a clefairy hiding behind some rocks. Marl was a tough dude. He had no problem defeating the other geodude. He celebrated his victory by bumping his fists together and on the ground which made the area quake. [Bye bye spectators.]

He started to settle down so I asked him, “Dude, have you seen Blarney?”

Marl shook his head, “No”. A dude of few words. He prefers to let his fists do the talking I guess.

Then I said, “Well, see ya around dude. You rock!” with my thumb up.

He was stone-faced, then he nodded and walked away.

I was starting to think the worst had happened to Blarney. So I looked around again. Cole was still looking for the precious along with other geodudes. Marl was punching a boulder. A tumbleweed rolled by. [What was a tumbleweed doing in a cave?!]

Then I heard one of the geodudes exclaim, “Dudes, I found one!”

It was Frank, I recognized his stupid face. “Dude, you found an everstone?” I asked. Some of the other geodudes went to him too.

He lifted it above his head proudly while he sang, “Aaaaaaaaaaaa”

I quickly realized that it wasn’t an everstone, “Damn it Frank, that’s not an everstone dude!” I said.

He looked at me and said, “Everstone? No no, I found a rock dude!”

I paused for a few seconds, astonished by his stupidity. “It’s just a rock dude. Why so excited?” I asked.

He gave me a closer look at the rock and said, “No, look. It’s shaped exactly like my dad!”

Again, I paused, amazed by the dense clump of useless matter he calls a brain. [A bit harsh?]

He continued to inch it closer to my face and asked with a big punch worthy grin, “Do you see it dude?”

At that moment I found myself thinking, “If only I was a higher level, so I could self-destruct and spare the world of this fool’s idiocy. I would gladly give my life.” [Maybe I was being too hard on him.]

Then we heard a tiny voice that said, “Umm excuse me sir dude, can you put me down please?”

Frank looked closer at his “dad-shaped rock”, realized and said, “Oh! Ooooh! Sorry little dude, didn’t know you were a dude.”

The tiny geodude explained, “I was taking a dirt nap. I was exhausted after a trainer decided to pick on me with his squirtle. Thankfully, he didn’t catch me dude.”

Frank then lowered him to the ground and said, “You’ve had a bad day dude, but to quote Nietzsche, ‘That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.’ remember this little dude.”

[You can just imagine the look I had on my face. Where did that come from? It was so out of character. Was he just pretending? Split personality?.. Am I the idiot? probably.]

The tiny dude nodded and shuffled away until he was no longer in sight.

I was thinking of asking Frank about Blarney but I probably would’ve gotten the same answer again.

Then the silence was broken by the sound of a geodude shouting in the distance, “Duuuuuuudes! Traineeeeeeers!

“Mother of Geode!” I said seriously.

Frank looked at me with fear in his eyes, “Fred, I’m scared dude.” he said

I tried to calm him, “Harden up Frank! We will make it through this, just like all the times before. Just act natural dude. Let’s just hope the zubats can fend them off before they get to us.”

Then we saw the biggest, baddest, toughest dude of all. The Alpha geodude! …Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson!

“Wow, it’s the alpha dude.” Frank whispered to me. 

The Alpha smashed his fists together, getting everyone’s attention, then proceeded to speak, “Alright dudes! Remember everything you’ve learned! If you do get recognized, stand your ground, show no weakness and no mercy! …Dudes! …Let’s Rock!”

All the geodudes acted “natural”. The sounds of zubats and plebeian failure echoed through the cave. Some trainers were able to push through. One in particular was headed straight for me. All I could think was, “Don’t trip on me. Don’t trip on me. Don’t trip on me.” [You know where this is going, don’t you…]

The trainer walked over me… and tripped.

“Oh come on! Dude!” I exclaimed. [Have you ever been kicked in the head on a daily basis? It’s not fun. We may be rock hard but we still feel… anyway.]

He then pointed at me and said, “Aha! A geodude! One more I can add to my collection!”

I prepared myself. “Bring it on dude!”

The trainer sent out a geodude, “Go geodude!”

What happened next could only be described as a montage of repeated Defense Curling and Tackling. It took a while but eventually I was able to defeat him. It wasn’t easy though.

He put away his fainted geodude’s pokeball and then pulled out another one. “This should do it.” he said with a creepy smirk.

I could barely keep myself from collapsing at this point.

He sent out his second battler. It was another geodude. “You got this!”

I looked around at the other geodudes and thought, “This is it. It’s all over. I’m going to be captured.” Then I looked at the dude I was battling and saw who it was… Blarney. “No. Blarney. They got you.” I said.

Blarney replied scratching his head, “Blarney? …Who’s Blarney dude?” He was waiting for his trainer.

The trainer readied a new pokeball and said, “He’s weak enough to capture anyway, just stand down geodude.”

I looked down and accepted defeat, just waiting for the pokeball to hit me…but…something bigger hit me instead…

Blarney used tackle.

I fainted.

[Do you think somewhere deep down, he remembered his bro dude. I don’t know how he did it but he’s the reason I can still talk to you right now. I might never see him again, but I owe him everything… dude.]

Edited by GergFalerg
spacing...
21 minutes ago, GergFalerg said:

IGN: GergFalerg

:D

Hide contents

Hard Rock Life

[Hey there dude. Yeah you, the reader. You must be wondering who or what I am, or why I can talk to you. Well, all you need to know dude is that my name is Frederock but you can just call me Fred, I’m a geodude and I can talk to you dude. I don’t know exactly how it works but ask the writer dude. I guess he thought it would be easier to write a story in my perspective if he used this. Anyway, let’s start the story.]

One day, I was walking along my route in the cave, looking for precious everstones or fossils. I knew that if I found one, I could rub it in Blarney’s face. [Blarney is my bro dude by the way.] After a while of searching, I noticed that Blarney wasn’t around. I could see Cole, Marl, Frank and some other geodudes but no bro dude. So I decided to ask around.

I called out, “Hey Cole, have you seen Blarney around?”

He looked at me with a sad look and said, “No, dude.”

I asked, “What’s wrong dude?” 

He replied, “A trainer took my everstone dude.”

I shook my head, “When will our suffering end?! We neeeed the precious!” [I was a bit overdramatic.]

Cole looked at me with a face that implied, “What’s wrong with this dude?”

“Sorry” [My plan worked, he was no longer sad. Now he just thinks I’m a weirdo.]

He started to walk away and said, “Maybe you should try asking Marl if he has seen Blarney around.”

I looked around for Marl and saw him immediately. He seemed to have challenged another geodude to a “Rock Off”. [You see, a “Rock Off” is a sort of geodude custom. It is our way of establishing dominance over others to climb up the geodude heirarchy. It’s mostly just clashing and butting of heads.] I got closer to the spectacle. There were a few spectators there, some geodudes, a few zubats and a clefairy hiding behind some rocks. Marl was a tough dude. He had no problem defeating the other geodude. He celebrated his victory by bumping his fists together and on the ground which made the area quake. [Bye bye spectators.]

He started to settle down so I asked him, “Dude, have you seen Blarney?”

Marl shook his head, “No”. A dude of few words. He prefers to let his fists do the talking I guess.

Then I said, “Well, see ya around dude. You rock!” with my thumb up.

He was stone-faced, then he nodded and walked away.

I was starting to think the worst had happened to Blarney. So I looked around again. Cole was still looking for the precious along with other geodudes. Marl was punching a boulder. A tumbleweed rolled by. [What was a tumbleweed doing in a cave?!]

Then I heard one of the geodudes exclaim, “Dudes, I found one!”

It was Frank, I recognized his stupid face. “Dude, you found an everstone?” I asked. Some of the other geodudes went to him too.

He lifted it above his head proudly while he sang, “Aaaaaaaaaaaa”

I quickly realized that it wasn’t an everstone, “Damn it Frank, that’s not an everstone dude!” I said.

He looked at me and said, “Everstone? No no, I found a rock dude!”

I paused for a few seconds, astonished by his stupidity. “It’s just a rock dude. Why so excited?” I asked.

He gave me a closer look at the rock and said, “No, look. It’s shaped exactly like my dad!”

Again, I paused, amazed by the dense clump of useless matter he calls a brain. [A bit harsh?]

He continued to inch it closer to my face and asked with a big punch worthy grin, “Do you see it dude?”

At that moment I found myself thinking, “If only I was a higher level, so I could self-destruct and spare the world of this fool’s idiocy. I would gladly give my life.” [Maybe I was being too hard on him.]

Then we heard a tiny voice that said, “Umm excuse me sir dude, can you put me down please?”

Frank looked closer at his “dad-shaped rock”, realized and said, “Oh! Ooooh! Sorry little dude, didn’t know you were a dude.”

The tiny geodude explained, “I was taking a dirt nap. I was exhausted after a trainer decided to pick on me with his squirtle. Thankfully, he didn’t catch me dude.”

Frank then lowered him to the ground and said, “You’ve had a bad day dude, but to quote Nietzsche, ‘That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.’ remember this little dude.”

[You can just imagine the look I had on my face. Where did that come from? It was so out of character. Was he just pretending? Split personality?.. Am I the idiot? probably.]

The tiny dude nodded and shuffled away until he was no longer in sight.

I was thinking of asking Frank about Blarney but I probably would’ve gotten the same answer again.

Then the silence was broken by the sound of a geodude shouting in the distance, “Duuuuuuudes! Traineeeeeeers!

“Mother of Geode!” I said seriously.

Frank looked at me with fear in his eyes, “Fred, I’m scared dude.” he said

I tried to calm him, “Harden up Frank! We will make it through this, just like all the times before. Just act natural dude. Let’s just hope the zubats can fend them off before they get to us.”

Then we saw the biggest, baddest, toughest dude of all. The Alpha geodude! …Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson!

“Wow, it’s the alpha dude.” Frank whispered to me. 

The Alpha smashed his fists together, getting everyone’s attention, then proceeded to speak, “Alright dudes! Remember everything you’ve learned! If you do get recognized, stand your ground, show no weakness and no mercy! …Dudes! …Let’s Rock!”

All the geodudes acted “natural”. The sounds of zubats and plebeian failure echoed through the cave. Some trainers were able to push through. One in particular was headed straight for me. All I could think was, “Don’t trip on me. Don’t trip on me. Don’t trip on me.” [You know where this is going, don’t you…]

The trainer walked over me… and tripped.

“Oh come on! Dude!” I exclaimed. [Have you ever been kicked in the head on a daily basis? It’s not fun. We may be rock hard but we still feel… anyway.]

He then pointed at me and said, “Aha! A geodude! One more I can add to my collection!”

I prepared myself. “Bring it on dude!”

The trainer sent out a geodude, “Go geodude!”

What happened next could only be described as a montage of repeated Defense Curling and Tackling. It took a while but eventually I was able to defeat him. It wasn’t easy though.

He put away his fainted geodude’s pokeball and then pulled out another one. “This should do it.” he said with a creepy smirk.

I could barely keep myself from collapsing at this point.

He sent out his second battler. It was another geodude. “You got this!”

I looked around at the other geodudes and thought, “This is it. It’s all over. I’m going to be captured.” Then I looked at the dude I was battling and saw who it was… Blarney. “No. Blarney. They got you.” I said.

Blarney replied scratching his head, “Blarney? …Who’s Blarney dude?” He was waiting for his trainer.

The trainer readied a new pokeball and said, “He’s weak enough to capture anyway, just stand down geodude.”

I looked down and accepted defeat, just waiting for the pokeball to hit me…but…something bigger hit me instead…

Blarney used tackle.

I fainted.

[Do you think somewhere deep down, he remembered his bro dude. I don’t know how he did it but he’s the reason I can still talk to you right now. I might never see him again, but I owe him everything… dude.]

That was epic dude.

47 minutes ago, TJXD said:

Could be a cool legal story from a pokemon's point of view, I dont know maybe something about an Arbok sewing a Seviper for Likeness 

Haha that's not bad. I actually have my idea already mapped out, I even made a 10 minute YouTube video explaining it which now seems like time I should a spent actually writing the damn thing 

ign: pachima 

The waves rushing back and forth, mildly, as the wind whispered in their ears. Tiny drops hit the water here and there. And here and there they dropped, now louder. It was raining.

Below, hordes of magikarps and goldeens danced around the river, as if enchanted by the music the rain imbued to the place.

And as they splashed and jumped, the water then scattered sparkled through the moonlight from behind.

All this magic, however, stopped at once. The rain still dropping was now nothing compared to what it once meant.

Silently, an old rod stepped up into the water.

I looked above. My eyes locked at the throbbing bug coming from the end of the line.

I couldn´t resist and I started moving to its direction

And as I moved closer and closer, as a naive and still tiny magikarp, I couldn´t help but to remember every other time my comrades got caught in such similar situations. 

Closer now to the peculiar moving bug, I hesitated before proceeding, but the urge inside me was too powerful for my little heart to handle. 

I remembered all the horror stories that the gyarados used to tell us when we misbehaved, but I couldn´t care less. All my focus was now at the twitching lure right before my eyes.

Even closer now, I could feel the wobbling bait in my mouth. The heart pulsing wildly and the look staring wilder. That was it.

One bite and all the excitement faded away upon the horror of its realization

The pain, already too high, was even worse when I flew through the air by a strong swing of the rod. 

Above the surface now, and as I rolled through the sky, I could see a human shape in front of me. Upside down at first, it gradually regained its standard poisition as I landed on the grass, fortunately quite soft and wet from the rain.

Soft it was indeed, but I wasn´t quite used of it and I found it to tickle all over my body.

I then stared at the trainer, but everything I could do was stirring my fins, which I´m pretty sure it resulted in a very ridiculous performance of mine.

And the trainer then returned the stare, this time with an extra creepy smile directed upon me while he took a pokeball out of his pocket.

As I splashed, I watched the pokeball casting a shining whitish light, now at midair. The shine then gained his form, and from it, a smeargle showed up with its peculiar cry. The more and more I stared at this smeargle, the more I felt envy of it. It seemed to me a really well-trained pokemon, so well that I wouldn´t be surprised if it turned out to be a level 100 one.

The painter then stared me down in disregard. I could tell it felt itself far superior than me, which I couldn´t deny, but I couldn´t stand also.

My blood boiled as I devoured this smeargle with my eyes, but there was nothing else that I could do.

The trainer took his move, but for a brief second, the rain still falling seemed to cause me a feeling a never felt before.

“Smeargle” the trainer said, pointing pokemon “Use false swipe”

With this, the painter pokemon rushed towards me with a speed I never imagined to be possible, to unleash a somewhat harsh slash on my body.

The attack sent me dragging through the grass upon impact. The pain was immense, and when I stopped, I collapsed.

With one last stare to the smeargle, I felt my life being drained away from me every breath. I was at 1 hp and all I could do was splashing, and splashing again, on the tall grass beneath me.

It was my turn now, and my move was another splash, to which smeargle mocked to confirm its supremacy. I tried to resist, but I couldn´t, and finally, I closed my eyes, giving up with a tear rolling through my face.  

I blanked out.

And when I opened my eyes again, some hours later maybe, not sure, I seemed to be somewhere I couldn´t describe.

Everything was red and white, no matter to where I turned to. I couldn´t help but to shed a tear with a smile, as I remembered all the good times I spent with the other magikarps, but even that quickly faded away to give rise to the loneliness I started to fell.

I was unmoving, sad, and alone, when I suddenly heard something from outside.

"Worthless magikarp" I heard, shouting "Not even in the GTL I could sell it... Damn, not even paying, I would get someone to buy it from me"

"What was GTL?" I wondered, but that´s everything I was able to think before the place started to crumble apart.

I felt terror, but I wasn´t sure how worse my life could be. 

Suddenly, I got summoned from the pokeball, just to be released on the grass as if thrash I would be.

I stared the trainer, now moving away from me, but he didn´t even turn back one last time. And so I turned my look to the moon, shining brightly in the clear dark sky of that day. 

The rain eased a bit, and not long passed until it stopped completely. The grass, however, still possessed that peculiar aroma I couldn´t say I disliked.

But, like every moment of peace I had lately, the things could get worse. I heard a cry, and, through the grasses, all my body shivered in fear as I saw a wild poochyena snifing around me.

I stopped splashing so to become stealthy, but my heartbeat was definitely audbile back then.

"Please go away, please go away" I prayed to Arceus, as I closed my eyes, still with a tiny hint of hope in their gleam.

I could feel poochyena in the grass patch right beside mine. It stopped, to sniff the air around him.

"It found me, it found me" I whispered repeatedly in my mind so to soften things for when the reality would come.

And with a gulp, I saw that dark face turning to me with its fangs directed to my body.

I paled in fear. I couldn´t move, but suddenly, I found myself splashing once again.

My time would come and the sole knowlegde of it made the things even worse. But poochyena turned to the sky, from where the rain resumed its deaf song and fell upon us.

The universe decided to give me some more seconds, but it wouldn´t matter. My judgment day was there, and in the mouth of the poochena already upon me.

However, something changed in my soul. I didn´t want to die. I would give everything to survive, and so I tried, and tried....

My splashes ran out of pp and the only thing I could do was now struggling, but that was when I realized.

I was faster now. Was it because of the rain? I wondered.

I had heard some stories about an ability magikarps possesses called swift swim, but I never imagined I would have it.

But it was indeed my ability that saved me just in time to dodge a bite from the poochyena.

From where I was now, I stared poochyena, which seemed curious about my pathetic jump. And so, he jumped upon me once again. And once again, I dodged his fangs.

Poochyena didn´t enjoy the resistance I was proving to show, and lost its interest on me. Then relieved, I saw it walking away.

I was alone once more, and I stared the moon, which seemed to not care about what was happening down here. It was fun to be the moon, I thought.

And with that last thought, I felt asleep. I was already too tired back then.

A hot shining ray woke me up in the morning. I seemed to have regained my forces again, so I tried to splash. And I splashed.

I stopped then, as a shadow engulfed me. I looked above, where a trainer smiled at me, so I withdrew myself. But my speed was low again, and I couldn´t flee.

This trainer, however, possessed a different aura within it.

“What are you doing here, you little thing?” he asked me, kindly enough to make me render myself completely.

But I didn´t and sent him another dose of splashes, to which he found amusing, to say the least.

“What would you say of joining me?” he asked, with another caress on me.

I hesitated and offered some resistance, but I knew it was futile, so I let myself being caught.

The trainer smiled one again, and threw a pokeball out of his pocket. This pokeball, however, was blue, with some beautiful waves designed on it.

I learned it was a dive ball. And it is inside there that I´ve been living since that day, as a gyarados now.

I like it here. Waves rushing back and forth, mildly, as the wind whispers in their ears.  It reminds me of my old lair, but I can´t regret it now. I´m happy!

I hope you like it :)

Edited by pachima
spacing

ign: Gilan

This is connected to the story from the last creative writing contest.

Spoiler

Reminiscent

I stood there in reverent silence. There was no breeze to stir the leaves that were strewn about the ground. There was no sunshine to warm my face that felt as cold as Regice. I stood there, staring at the tombstone in front of me. He was my master, my partner, my friend. We had grown up together, played together, fought together, dreamed together, won together, lost together; we overcame together. And now… he’s gone. I don’t expect you to understand my pain, and if you do, my condolences for whoever you’ve lost. I just feel like, right now, I need to reminisce, and I suppose that if I’m going to reminisce I should start from the beginning.

Our story was one of rags to riches. He, the lonely orphan from the city; and me, the outcast charmander living on trash scraps each day. We found each other one fateful, icy mourning as I was being chased by a bunch of snarling ratattas; turns out they don’t appreciate someone stealing their food, even if it’s a whole month expired. The chase eventually led us to a frozen pond, and as we ran across it the sound of cracking ice ominously broke through the chilled air. I, and the pursuers, stopped cold in our tracks; clouds of frozen air streaming out of our lungs in short, quick bursts. One of the ratattas started to inch closer to me, while two began to back away to the shore line, the remaining two remained still. As the forward ratatta got nearer, he quickened his pace until he was only a meter away. I could see the muscles in the rattata’s body begin to constrict, and contort as he prepared to pounce on me. Holding a sack of rotten food in one hand, I prepared for the imminent attack by heating up the inside of my belly, ready to unleash an ember at a moment’s notice.

It was at that moment that the ice gave way. It fractured completely and sent me sprawling into the water, the rotten food with me. Now I don’t know if you’re aware, but charmander don’t live long when submerged in water. The moment I hit the water I could feel the flame on my tail smother out, and with each passing second the heat of my body was rapidly fading away. I began to lose consciousness and felt myself hit the muddy bottom of the small pond. It was almost as if my vision was freezing over as the black was slowly drowning out everything that I could see. Just before I lost all feeling, a hand grabbed me and pulled me close to someone’s body. The figure took me in both arms, underwater, and kicked off the bottom of the pond and launched us to the surface of the water. Then everything went black.

The next thing I remember, I was being carried in these boy’s arms as he ran, and I remember thinking that being held by the boy felt warm, even as I was uncontrollably shaking from the ice cold water that dripped from my body and his clothes. It wasn’t much longer until we arrived at a PokeCenter. I had never been inside one before; only wild pokemon in absolute critical condition, or pokemon accompanied by a trainer were allowed inside. I faintly remember the boy screaming “I HAVE AN EMERGENCY!” and several people dressed in red and white rushing over. I clung onto the boy’s shirt, but these strange people took me from him and I was too weak to truly struggle against them. A moment later, I felt pulses of heat emanating around my body. I could barely hear the boy’s wavering voice as he asked, “Is he going to be all right?”

Another voice responded, presumably from one of the medical staff, “We’re not sure… At this point it might be up to the charmander’s will to continue on. It seems he was very weak to begin with…” Upon my understanding of those words, something inside me bubbled up. Me? Give up? No way am I quitting, now that I might have finally found someone special! And with that, the flame on my tail sparked back to life, albeit fairly small, but it was enough to prove to everyone that I was going to be all right. About an hour later they determined that I was good to go and let me walk out. As I walked through the door to the waiting area, I saw the boy sitting there wrapped in a blanket; his head came up as he saw me come through the door. He rose up and walked a few strides to where I was and knelt down, a small red and white ball in his hands.

“I know we just met, but I was wondering… Agh! I don’t know how to say this…” He looked straight into my eyes, “this was a birthday gift from my orphanage. I just received it today…” He gestured to the ball in his hands. “I was wondering –“ And without another word, I reached out my hand and tapped the small circle on the front of the ball. A red light enveloped me and I felt myself being sucked into the pokeball. I had no hesitations about becoming this boy’s partner.

Just as I was about to be completely “captured”, I could hear the boy whisper “Thank you!” and saw something glisten as it fell from his face.

And, for us, that was the first day of our partnership.

For the world, that was the first day of a legendary duo.

~~~~~

Or so we had thought at the time. Truth be told, our hardships had only begun and life was still as tough as ever. However, having someone to share it with made all the difference, and we were having the time of our lives.

It turned out that the region’s pokemon professor happened to be in the PokeCenter on that fateful day, and upon seeing all the events unfold, he invited my new trainer (from this point on I’ll use his real name: Gilan) over to his lab in Pallet town, because he had something he wanted to give us. Gilan gathered his things from the orphanage and we quickly set out for Pallet Town.

Along the way we encountered several other pokemon trainers who were way too enthusiastic about battling. Unable to turn these trainers down, we battled each and every one of them. I remember burning a metapod to a crisp, slashing down a ratatta (which I must admit felt very satisfying, given what had happened in my last encounter with ratatta), and crushing a pidgey with my newly learned metal claw move. Both Gilan and I had a blast, and we felt invincible. From each battle Gilan received a small amount of money, which assured us that we would not starve for the next few days.

We eventually arrived at Pallet Town; a small, modest town that was rumored to be home to a couple incredible trainers, according to one of the battlers that we had defeated on the way there. The lab was situated in the southwest corner of the town and was by far the biggest building there. Though it looked rather plain and simple on the outside, when we stepped inside we were greeted by a hundred test tubes, complex machines with liquid swirling inside them, computers crunching numbers, and a mass of people in lab-coats scurrying around, many with clipboards in their hands. One of them noticed us. “Oh, you must be here for Professor Oak, he said that you would come by. He’s in the back, go right ahead!” The scientist gestured to a door at the back of the room.

After sidestepping around a couple of scientists and machines, Gilan and I made it to Oak’s office door and went inside. Reclined in his office chair, Professor Oak was focused on reading a piece of paper in his hands. The Professor absent-mindedly greeted us and nodded to a couple of chairs opposite his desk, “Take a set.” Gilan sat down and I jumped up and rested on his lap. We waited for Oak to reach a stopping place, which took a couple of minutes. He set the paper down on his desk and made a couple of scribbles on the page, assumedly to mark his stopping point.

“Now how can I help you?” Professor Oak finally looked up to greet us. Upon seeing our faces, shock spread across his face. “By Goly! It’s you two! Why didn’t you speak up? Talking to you is by far more important than what’s going on in the lab right now!” He let out a little, friendly laugh.

Gilan, being shy at his young age, muttered, “well, you looked so focused… we didn’t want to…”

“No worries! It’s my fault for not paying attention.” The professor apologized. “Now, the reason why I asked you both to come here.” The professor stood up and went over to a cabinet that was at the back of the room. From it, he pulled out a small red device and a little rectangular card. “These are really special items and not everyone gets the opportunity to receive them. This first object,” he gestured the small red device toward Gilan, motioning for him to take it, “is a Pokedex. This will be an invaluable tool for your journey with Charmander. It will automatically collect and record data on other pokemon that you meet; information is a very valuable asset to pokemon trainers, use it well!” Gilan took the Pokedex gratefully and stared at the device with admiration. I was intrigued, too. I wondered how it would assist us in becoming even stronger. “Of course, by collecting information on that Pokedex, it will transmit that data to me, which will be invaluable for my research. So don’t think that you owe me,” the professor explained upon seeing our ecstatic faces.

“This second item is a blank trainer card. Take this to the next PokeCenter that you come across and they will put your picture and information on it. It is an exclusive card that allows you to access many restricted areas across the region; provided that you have certain gym badges, as well. Take care of it!” Professor Oak passed the card to Gilan, who was still gazing at the Pokedex.

“And with that, you two, Gilan and…” The professor trailed off, looking expectantly at Gilan. “Have you given a nickname to your charmander yet?” Gilan shook his head, he didn’t even realize that was a thing. “Go ahead! Give your partner a nickname; it will bring the two of you closer together!”

I could see Gilan think for a few moments, and then he spoke. “Amaterasu.” The name sounded bad ass, and I immediately loved it. To show my affection I let out a small breath of fire.

“That’s a wonderful nickname!” Oak exclaimed, “And Charmander, I mean Amaterasu, loves it too!”

From that point on, my name was Amaterasu, no longer simply a generic Charmander, but a pokemon who belonged somewhere. After that, Professor Oak tasked us with trying to completely fill out the Pokedex, and to do so, we needed to acquire gym badges that would allow us to get to places that were normally impossible to enter.

The next couple of years flew by in a blur. Gilan and I conquered gym after gym. I evolved from a charmander to a charmeleon and eventually to my final form of charizard. Between each gym battle, Gilan captured many new pokemon and I made plenty of friends; my best pokemon friend being the extremely powerful kingdra that Gilan fished up, Poseidon. However, I remained the core of the team and Gilan always paid me special attention. I remember this period as an extremely exhilarating time; we were young and adventurous, and we had the whole world to see.

We took out an evil organization and our names were becoming renowned throughout the region. Soon we were at the doorstep of the Elite 4. These four trainers were particularly difficult, we had even heard about this one trainer who had been beaten by them countless times (I think his name starts with Tranz…), however we managed to struggle through, and as such, we became the champions of the region. One perk of being considered the best was that we were given full access to the region and allowed me nearly complete freedom with my hall of fame ribbon.

However, being champions also came with lots of responsibility. I found that I was constantly asked to take on jobs (such as guarding important scientific devices as they were transferred from city to city), while Gilan had to take care of many other administrative tasks (such as reading the reports of the 8 gyms, and delegating resources around the region). In fact, Gilan became so busy with requests, that he joined an organization called the Desu Lab Coat Club to help mitigate the tasks; but even still, he was swamped with work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that leads us to the present day. Gilan was on a rescue mission to find a missing lab coat member, while I was away, being part of the greeting party for a champion of a far off region. After greeting the champion, who was a woman with long, blonde hair, and dressed in a black overcoat, I returned to receive news that Gilan had disappeared. I searched for days, but to no avail. He was gone, and everyone began to assume that he was dead. Even Ditto, the pokemon that Gilan had taken with him, told me how they had encountered some strange entity, but he had blacked out and didn’t know nor remember what had happened to Gilan.

So now, I stand here in reverent silence. Staring at the tombstone with the name Gilan etched in the stone, wondering what happened. I need to mourn in peace for a while longer, so please leave me be.

“AMATERASU!” I heard my name yelled from behind me. I turned to see my friend Hades, Gilan’s Houndoom, panting at the edge of the clearing of the graveyard. “Poseidon says that he thinks he found a clue about what happened to Gilan! He says that Gilan may still be alive, and needs your help! Come with me!”

My heart skipped a beat, and hope spread throughout my body. “Take me to Poseidon! Lead the way, Hades!"

word count: 2426

Edited by Gilan
added word count and fixed a small error

IGN: Eggplant

Spoiler

Lonely.

It's so lonely.

If asked how I feel, be it at any time, any day, the answer will remain the same.

I'm all alone.

How did things come to this?

I remember my mother having very high hopes for me in life, ever since birth. Not that I remember much of her. I was taken in by a human scientist not long after.

He, too, saw some vast potential in me. Other Pokemon and other starters in the lab were jealous of my great looks. I dropped many jaws,  and other shapes of lower mouths depending on the species. I was the superstar of the lab! It was a blessed life from the start.

I knew early on that I was destined for greatness. A new user would come pick me up, and the look on his face when presented with me would be priceless. Then we'd go out into the world, take on every challenge, he'd link em in chat every day, we'd become rich, famous, the talk of all MMO!

Finally, it was my turn. I hit level five. The Professor displayed me on the table, just as the single mother across the street somehow had her probably fifty thousandth, immediately ten-year-old child. A new user!

Shortly after, said user walked in, skipping all of the professor's dialogue. As expected, he glanced at the other balls in disappointment, as if looking for me. Then he picked me, naturally, and we headed out after stomping on the fifty thousandth rival, as planned. But something was off.

It's like. He didn't really get that I was special. He looked happy to begin his journey, sure, but. Not the look on his face I was waiting for.

I thought I was the superstar. But he caught four other Pokemon, and trained us all to level 15 equally. I could've won the league solo if he only power leveled me. He didn't see like the superstar everyone else did. He just didn't get it.

After probably a month of logging in for 30 minutes at a time and slowly leveling up, this user finally made it to Fuchsia City, with a Butterfree that somehow gained two levels more than me. I thought he was raising us equally! Drives me nuts.

Then it happened. The only chance at a new life I'd ever get.

One user happened to spot me. I saw it in his eyes. The glimmer I hadn't seen since level four. He knew what he was seeing. Me, and how awesome I am.

He looked like a nice guy. He tried to keep his cool, but inside he was tearing up from my sheer brilliance. He offered a trade. A Lucky Egg. But my owner wasn't all that impressed. He needed me to beat the ice types in the upcoming cave...That's all he thought of me? It kind of hurts. then, the new user offered a level fifty or so Arcanine in addition to the egg. That got a different reaction out of my trainer. It's like, it was too good to be true. For both of us. He thought, he's just getting a stronger Pokemon out of it. He didn't see what was in it for the other trainer. It was obviously because I'm so much better, but my trainer just couldn't see it. He wondered for a while, in what ways he could be getting ripped off. Another user walked by, so my trainer called out to him and asked him if the trade is fair. This stranger glances at me and yells in the least composed manner, "YES! YES! DO IT!". I think he was friends with the one offering the trade.

When all seemed agreed and done, my owner spontaneously got a puzzled look on his face and said this spine-chilling phrase:

"brb disco".

And those are the last words I ever heard from him.

The guy wanting to trade could no longer click me in the chat. It didn't work anymore.

So, he decided to come back the next day. And the next day. For about a week.

Then, he came less often. He just tried whispering my owner.

But my owner never showed. Never replied. Never gave any sign of life.

Never logged in.

I was stuck.

I was destined for greatness, but I can't move. I can't see. I can't speak. I can't do anything. I could only feel.

It's been four years, Now, I can no longer even feel.

I can only be alone. This state of being alone is as close as it gets to a feeling. I feel lonely. But not really. I just am. I think, I exist.

He promised he was coming back after the disco. I think. But he never did. I was left stranded, so close to finally achieving the dream. Getting recognized for what I really am, getting to live the life I always envisioned, and that everyone always envisioned for me. Now, I'm just a wasted party slot on a dead account. Such wasted potential. Wasted money. Wasted happiness for someone else who might've really appreciated such luck. A wasted glimmer in the eye and a wasted daily smile, that I'll never get to see.