Define the Sturdy - Results Announced

Rache

We got a huge variety of very strong entries this time around. It was a close match, but without further ado, here are our winners!

First place: SodaNaranja

Cdrnvon.jpg

This entry was unanimously loved by every judge, and with good reason. The amount of detail is stunning, and we respected the choice to leave it uncoloured. This made it look like a page from a comic book, and the gorgeous shading more than makes up for it being left as it is. The story the image tells gives it more emotion than any other entry - it's more than just a drawing of a Pokemon. Bastiodon looks truly exhausted, but unwilling to give up for the sake of its family. Truly a standout entry, congratulations on your much deserved first place!

Second place: Lyouie

CPXmJBk.jpg

This entry was likewise widely adored, finding itself in a very close second place. Lyouie has done an excellent job showcasing the Pokemon using a move that it's well known for. The Skarmory has a lot of character to it - it looks fierce and ready to fight. This piece is very well planned and executed, with pleasing composition, colours, and overall attention to detail. Congratulations, this is overall a fantastic entry and truly deserving of its high place.

Third place: debuti

dKgjsLW.jpg

Coming in in third place is debuti. The raw emotion in the expression and pose of the Scizor truly makes this entry. It appears to be fighting a powerful foe, but is it to protect its trainer or is it simply following orders? Keeping the trainer as a silhouette leaves that to the imagination of the viewer, a clever move. The colouring could use some work, but overall a great entry more than worthy of third place. Congratulations!

Thank you to all who participated, and I hope to see your work in the next contest~ You can find all entries here, and also below.

As a bonus, at the request of @Gilan, I've taken some extra time to critique each entry.

Spoiler

I should start this section off by stating that what I am about to say here is purely my own opinion and may be strongly disagreed with. This is not intended to offend or embarrass anyone. Any negative points I make about an artwork are done with the intention to help the artist, and I've tried to keep them as fair as possible. It's also worth pointing out that having a lot of flaws doesn't mean that the artwork or the artist behind it are bad by any means - it simply means that there's room for improvement in those areas. These are in no particular order.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

@Kickern

https://s21.postimg.org/4saokrorb/mawile2.png

Some variation in the thickness of the Mawile's lines would be nice. The chunkiness of the line tips is somewhat unappealing, and varying thickness can make the lineart appear a bit crisper overall. There's a bit of a lump on Mawile's left arm (our right) that should probably be smoothed out too. The lineart is currently layered above the white lines, which is a little distracting once noticed.

The background doesn't fit in with the rest of the image, making it look like the Pokemon are simply pasted onto it rather than being part of the same scene. The perspective is quite confusing, making it look like the Pokemon are on odd angles compared to the ground. I recommend drawing a background rather than using what looks like a transformed texture.

The lighting direction is inconsistent. judging from the line of shading on Mawile's face, light is coming from the upper left of the image. This doesn't match Mawile's shadow however, which suggests light from the right side.  The random blotches of lighter/darker colour on its body contribute to the issue, making the image difficult to decipher overall. Darkening Mawile's left eye (our right) a bit would help to show that the area's in shadow.

With that being said though, there are some things that I really like about this artwork. The characters are both well drawn, and I like that they're shown battling. Shifting the hue when shading the yellow areas on Mawile was a good idea, the orange is more appealing than a dark yellow. I'm having trouble finding anything to nitpick about Klink, although seeing it use some kind of attack would perhaps add to the scene. Overall it's a fairly solid entry.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
@SodaNaranja
http://i.imgur.com/Cdrnvon.jpg

The shading and hatching on Bastiodon is gorgeous. Its expression is also excellent for the situation it's in, something difficult to nail with such a Pokemon. Seeing it protect its young adds a lot of purpose to the artwork too. The Shieldons look a bit stretched out though - the front leg furthest from our view on each of them looks a lot longer than the other front leg due to how far it extends past the mask.

The grass near the Shieldons is drawn too large and the lines are extremely thick compared to the Pokemon next to it. While large tufts of grass works towards the bottom of the artwork where they're closer, it should be smaller where it is in the distance.

The area of dirt in the middle throws off the perspective a bit, particularly the area of dark shading towards the bottom right. Rather than part of flat ground, it looks like an odd slope. The environment in the top half of the image is very difficult to decipher. I've spent a long time analyzing it, and am still unsure of what I'm looking at. It's quite finely detailed however.

Something I can really commend is the decision to leave Dialga mostly unshaded. Had dark shading been added, it wouldn't be as easy on the eyes as it currently is. The usage of white to break up dark colours in this artwork is very refreshing and aesthetically pleasing. This is also a case in which I think that leaving the artwork uncoloured was a very good choice - the outstanding detail in the Bastiodon's shading and the Dialga's contrast from the background would have been lost.

This entry is excellent overall and well deserving of its place. Congratulations SodaNaranja, I'm not an easy judge to impress, but you've certainly managed to do so.

@InfiniteHeartz
http://i.imgur.com/ZG6YM9e.png

The purple in the background around the bottom of the "hair" is a very nice touch. It makes the transition from Ultra Beast to black background interesting, not clashing or detracting from the greens. It's a bold move to use a colour on the opposite side of the colour wheel, and it has paid off well. The white border doesn't work well with the rest of the image however, and is especially distracting in the top half.

The angle of the yellow area on the arms is off, making it a bit confusing to look at. The main body is also extremely squished, the patterning in the middle area not quite right, and the neck a bit off center where it connects. Despite these anatomical flaws however, the level of detail is quite good. The variation in line thickness is interesting and gives it a level of crispness that few other entries have. The patterning on the green area of the body is quite nicely done too. I like that it's been made to stand out more than it does on the official artwork - this change I believe has worked in its favour. The choices of greens on the Pokemon I genuinely like. They're reasonably bright without straying into oversaturated or obnoxious territory.

Where I think this entry struggles in the colour department is the energy blast. The colours used in the lower half of the artwork are a bit unpleasant and messy to look at, and the section is all a bit too dark to really look like what it is. Brightening the white and adding a glow to the surrounding area may improve this issue.

Despite its flaws, this is overall a solid entry. Celesteela is an incredibly difficult Pokemon to work with, and I applaud the choice to go with it over something easier to depict.

@GergFalerg
http://i.imgur.com/f5ufMGp.gif

I love the way the Oddish's expression changes, particularly the differing eye sizes. Its waddle is a bit difficult to interpret however, and the movement lines around the sides when it notices the Mawile are perhaps a bit unnecessary since it's actually in motion. The way its leaves move when it's escaping is pleasing, although increasing the movement speed when this occurs would have given it a bit more impact. The animation on the "NOPE" disappearing is nicely done, and the way the animator's name wobbles is simple but pleasant.

The Mawile's lack of movement is a bit disappointing. A subtle breathing animation and/or reaction from its jaws when the Oddish approached would have improved the final product tremendously. Mawile's finger shapes/sizes could perhaps use a bit of work as they currently look a bit awkward. The decision to make the image tall and not very wide I don't believe works in its favour. Horizontally it's quite squished, and there's a lot of unused space vertically.

Animation is admittedly something that I'm not particularly familiar with, but I enjoyed this entry. It's quite different from the others, and made me smile even as I was looking for things to critique. Overall I really like it.

@Moetal
https://s15.postimg.org/j63d0nxl7/ironhead2.jpg

Right off the bat I'll say that I had a lot of trouble finding things to criticize here. There are very few issues with the artwork. It's very cute, everything is well drawn, and the colour choices are made well.

The shading on the Moemon version's clothing is quite dark and draws the eye perhaps a bit much, although it would have been nice to see that kind of colour within the sleeves, which look a bit too light inside. The lines in some areas are a bit messy and don't quite connect.

Overall it's a very solid entry. It may be simple, but it's effective. With a bit more time spent on it, it could have broken into the top 3.

@KrokSquad
http://i.imgur.com/nlELmve.jpg

This is a cute entry. For the most part it's pretty well drawn, but has its flaws. Most notably, the shape of its face is a bit too exaggerated. Rather than looking like the gaps in its armor, it looks a bit like it's melting. When copying an image, it's a good idea to keep in mind what the shapes you're copying are representing. The body is a bit too large and long for the size of its head.

It may not be perfect, but this entry is charming in its own way. With a little more practice, you'll certainly get there.

@Lyouie
http://i.imgur.com/CPXmJBk.jpg

There's a lot to love here. Let's start with the colours. They're all very nicely chosen and complement each other pretty much perfectly. The lines aren't all a single colour, and the usage of blues, greens, yellows, purples, etc make this incredibly interesting to look at. The fine brush strokes in areas of the shading also add to this. The usage of blue and orange on the Spikes is very pleasing to the eye.

I love the style of lineart used. The roughness of the lines adds even more interest to the artwork overall. Despite the rough lines, the Pokemon still looks sharp. The usage of white around the Pokemon, the Spikes, and parts of the dust cloud is a very nice touch. Using yellow around the edges of the Spikes positioned against the white backdrop complements the rest of the image very nicely. The way the signature is hidden within the cloud doesn't distract from the rest of the artwork either. I actually think it looks nice.

The composition is excellent. Everything has a sense of flow and movement, drawing the eye from one part of the work to the next. It may be a still image, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. The posing of the Pokemon, the swirling sand, and the Spikes being carried along with it genuinely looks like it's all in motion. The choice of style and colour for the Pokemon's name at the bottom is appealing and adds to the composition.

This was my personal favourite entry this time around. I have nothing but praise for it. No matter how long I spend looking for things to nitpick, I'm coming up with nothing and only noticing more and more things that I like. It looks very professional, with a lot of care put into making sure everything's just right. Congratulations on second place, I hope to see more work from you in the future.

@Maelstrom
http://i.xomf.com/cdjny.png

There are a few things I really like about this one. For the most part, the Pokemon is pretty well drawn, although its face looks a bit squashed.The area shaded with lines looks very appropriate to the species, giving the Pokemon a rugged look. The lines are nice and crisp too.

Where I think it needs a bit more work is the shading. It's a bit too light on the Metagross, making the artwork look somewhat flat and lacking in contrast. The shading in the yellow areas stands out nicely, but the grey doesn't.

It's by no means a requirement, but when colouring something grey, I recommend slightly tinting it with a colour too. Pure grey can look a bit boring, but using an extremely desaturated blue can result in a more interesting image while still looking distinctly grey.

The Moemon version is very nicely done overall. The eyes in particular I really like, and the anatomy of the body looks about right. The head is perhaps a tiny bit too big though.

Overall this is a really solid entry. It's clear that a lot of effort was put into it, and the Pokemon chosen is a difficult one to draw yet pulled off fairly well.

@FlareBlitzz
http://i.imgur.com/PkpTwm4.jpg

Although it loses points for being copied from existing fanart, the copy job is actually pretty good (although Lucario's chest spike is huge). Each comes from a different piece of art, but the styles fit together decently. The pencil colouring is nicely done for the most part, although Lucario's legs are a bit light and the blue of its attack has invaded its left (our right) leg a bit. It would be nice to see the eyes edited a bit so they're looking each other dead on - Lucario seems to be looking at something above Mawile's head. A few original touches here and there would help the work to stand out more from what it's based on.

When heavily referencing something, especially when it's not official work that people are likely to recognize, it's respectful to credit the artist of the original, whether by name/username or by linking the work yours is based on. Some artists may get quite upset if this isn't done.

@Tackle
http://oi64.tinypic.com/2zhm693.jpg

The blurriness of the sand both on its body and on the ground detracts from the image overall, as it's very difficult to tell what it is - it just looks like smudges.  

It would be nice to see a bit more of the Pokemon. I'm assuming that it's cut off to emphasize its length, but I feel that a bit -too- much of it is cut off, leading to it looking smaller instead.

Something I do like is the light between its eyes - it gives its face some more shape. A bit of shading elsewhere would help too though.

Overall quite decent. The blurriness of the image as a whole is a bit unappealing, but the Pokemon itself is quite well drawn.

@Emlee
http://i.imgur.com/Rc475Xn.jpg

Something I have to applaud is the colour choices. They work well together, resulting in the artwork being easy on the eyes as a whole. They're not too saturated, but still bright and appealing. Shifting the hue a bit when adding shading and highlights is something I always enjoy seeing - the different shades of pink and yellow are a lot more interesting than if shadows had been simply done with a darker version of the base colour. Finally, the addition of a blue tint to the grey areas is a very nice touch.

The Pokemon is very well drawn, especially its jaws. Its body looks perhaps a bit too tall for the species though. A bit of variation in line thickness would be nice, but the current lineart works fairly well here too.

This is a solid entry. Although simple, it's effective and pleasant to look at. I'm really quite fond of this one - I had a lot of trouble finding flaws, and there's a lot I like.

@debuti
http://i.imgur.com/dKgjsLW.jpg

The posing is dynamic and the base drawing overall very good, but where this entry falls a bit flat is the colouring and lighting. Something to keep in mind is that lighting and time of day heavily influence colours. For example, a patch of grass could look green on a sunny day. This doesn't mean that all grass should automatically be coloured green however - it only looks that way after the right light is applied to it. At night, in order to look like the same patch of grass, it should actually be closer to cyan. If you use the same shade you would use for daytime with a night backdrop, it would end up looking too yellow instead. This doesn't only apply to grass of course, it applies to everything. In this case, the red used for Scizor's body is far too warm and saturated to match the time of day you've chosen, and the background has similar issues. Colours interact and play off each other - it's best to think of the work as a whole rather than completing one area of colour at a time.

Perhaps the best way to demonstrate this is by showing what the image would look like with its colours adjusted for the time of day. I mocked up an alternative version of the artwork with corrected colours and lighting, but as it would be disrespectful to share it without your permission, let me know if you'd like to see it.

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/Xr8DMBT.png

I feel that the smudged black shading was perhaps a bit of a mistake, as it makes the pose and lighting look less dynamic than it would if the shadows had been left sharp. The way the highlights were done also takes away impact - they would have been more effective if they had either been sharp or subtle. The combination of the dark and light shading ends up making it look messy. The whites of the eyes are also extremely bright and draw the eye away from everything else.

Outside of the highlights on the body, the moonlight doesn't seem to have an impact on anything in the scene. Its light should be visible on everything - the sky, building, trees, ground, grass, and the edges of the silhouetted trainer. This causes the image to make little sense as a whole.

Despite my criticism of it, I have a lot of respect for this entry. It's very ambitious and it's clear that a lot of time and effort was put into it. The base drawing is extremely good, with only the colour and shading letting it down. If you keep up the good work and keep the interaction between colours in mind, I have no doubt that you can make it far.

@Pyroface
http://i.imgur.com/Qnap06M.jpg

The Pokemon's upper body is drawn very large, whereas Lucario is quite a lean Pokemon, very thin from the waist up. The legs and tail in the artwork are also a bit too short. Anatomical issues aside, I do like the pose though.

The lighting direction is quite consistent, and I like that the move its charging up appears to be the light source, although it should also result in visible highlights rather than just forming shadows.

The colours overall could use some work. The shading in the blue and yellow areas is very light, making the image look a bit flat. Its tail is possibly a bit too dark compared to the rest of its body however. The stripe coming from its left ear (our right) should be a darker colour to match the rest of that side of its face being shadowed, and the eye should be darker too. The blue energy coming from its feet is a bit too dark and doesn't really stand out like the move its' charging does, making it difficult to tell what it is or even that it's there in the first place until closer inspection. Some brighter blues or a luminosity layer would make it more apparent.

The swirl of energy coming from the move being charged is something I really like. It's a very nice touch, especially having part of it behind and in front of the Pokemon. The Pokemon's shadow on the ground is a welcome addition too.

It could use a bit more attention to detail overall, but a solid entry in its own right.

@TheChampionMike
http://i.imgur.com/2unBeO7.jpg

This is pretty well drawn for the most part, but it has a few issues. The limbs are a bit wonky and its hind legs are at odd angles. The face looks pretty good though.

The colours used are a bit too light - Heatran's body should be about as dark as the spot on its left (our right) front leg, and some shading would make it stand out a bit more. Having some parts coloured (Pokemon's body/mouth + lava) and others left white (armor + the rest of the background) is a bit distracting. It would benefit a lot from full colour.

Overall a pretty decent entry. It could use a bit more detail and colour, but it has its own sort of charm in its current form.

@Firebrush
https://imgur.com/1x7ExAh

Something I think was really well done here is the head. You've chosen an interesting angle, and the mouth shape is nicely done. Overall it would benefit from some shading, particularly inside the mouth and on the body.

Its arms and legs are tiny though, with the legs looking particularly so. It doesn't look like they should be able to support its weight. The ground perspective is a bit off - the cracks don't look like they're being made by its feet.

It's a good idea to create a light sketch and study it a bit for issues before adding heavy lineart and colour. When working with a light sketch first, it's a lot easier to erase and redraw sections if you think something's a bit off.

@BRAAAD
http://i.imgur.com/iv0OTe8.png

This entry is very cute and charming. It's simple, but it works well. The quality of the lines is good, and the limited amount of colouring is smoothly done. Overall the Pokemon is drawn well - especially the head, although its left (our right) front leg is a bit too long compared to the other and the environment looks unfinished.

It could use some more detail overall (especially on the background) and colour, but it's a nice entry nonetheless.

@Viking
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/48/1480703015-wp-20161202-19-00-40-pro.jpg

Of the few images submitted, each had their issues. The side version was the better quality one, as it's the least skewed angle. With that being said though, presentation is important. Ideally it would have been rotated before being uploaded.

Onto the work itself, its expression and teeth are great. It looks very mean and like it's loving every moment of it. The anatomy of the rest of it is a bit confusing though, especially the size of its right (our left) arm, which looks tiny. The shape of the hand isn't quite right either, with the claws appearing to be flat and bending backwards. Its other arm is alright though, the claw shapes are nicely done.

The shading is fairly nicely done, but a bit dark on its right (our left) hand, and the having it stop around its left (our right) arm make it look like it's glowing. Aggron's a tough Pokemon to work with, and outside of being a bit squished, you've done a pretty decent job of it.

@zedge02
http://i.imgur.com/kzNIvyj.jpg

This is a very interesting one, and extremely ambitious. I adore the colour choices for the background - they're vibrant without detracting from the Pokemon. The colour choices for the Pokemon are quite good for the most part, but the green around its face is a bit distracting.

The pose is very dynamic. I love the positioning of the tail and the flowing of the mane, although the top right section looks a bit too separated from the rest of it. Its left leg (our right) appears to be extremely long, its paw should have been moved to the left a bit to make the angle work.

I like the composition, with the Pokemon on the left and the angle of the environment a bit raised to give the impression that Solgaleo is leaping at the viewer. Giving the Pokemon a shadow against the cliff would have perhaps improved the artwork a bit. Overall I really like this one. It has its flaws, but there's a lot to love about it too.

@benjaminvoz@Havsha@Telf@LifeStyle@RysPicz@KaynineXL@fredrichnietze@Articein

Joke not funny. 0/10

To keep things fair, I'll point out some flaws with my own work too.

http://i.imgur.com/vKphHSd.png

-Skarm's left leg (our right) is positioned too far to the right. It puts the body at a weird angle.

-Where the thinner section of its leg connects to its body doesn't quite look right.

-The background is a too undefined in places, especially the rock in the bottom left corner. Needs some slight sharpening.

-The lighting on the environment is nowhere near as detailed as it is on the Pokemon. Background currently looks boring in places.

-The rock wall at the back with the purple sky behind it could use some cleaning up, it's too rounded and there are some dark splotches.

-The light on Skarmory's back doesn't quite cover the area it should - there's an unintentional grey outline around the yellow.

Overall it needed some more time spent working out its issues before calling it complete.

• Munya pinned this topic

I suck at drawing and it was done in around 1-2 hours. Maybe next time Ill buy some proper pencils and make a better entry cuz this has motivated me. Thanks for the feedback :]

Oh and gz to all the winners ofc.

Edited by TheChampionMike
Just now, LifeStyle said:

My Beldum was the best entry right bro?

I would have a lot of difficulties to place it on a pedestal when I realized that there were such pieces of shit art like Ben's and Havs' but lemme play Rachel:

Spoiler

@LifeStyle

BIxU5Og.png

This is an absolutely amazing entry which easily should have reached top 3 if not won the entire contest. Beldum's facial expressions are clearly showing it's merciless attempts on using it's Take Down which, as it says, it is going to sweep with and you can see it's burning desire of sweep in that one eye. The attention to details is simply astonishing and the choice of blue in this art is very pleasant for the eye. There is very little to criticize around here. It may be simple, but it's very effective. Your lineart coul be a little bit better but correcting this masterpiece should be considered as a crime.

Congrats!

Congrats to the winners.

Oh man, detailed write-ups for each contest entry...

@RacheLucario

Spoiler

In my defense, I didn't have a drawing tablet at the time, so variation in line thickness is something I couldn't do very well when I was drawing my entry.  It's something I can do now, though.  The light rays are actually the top layer, but the blending mode I chose for it made it not show up over black.  Not sure how to fix that without having the light rays look completely white.
I was experimenting with some effects in Paint.Net when I made the background; I see where you're coming from on that one.
Lighting is probably the hardest thing for me, so again, I see where you're coming from there.  The blotches of light was an attempt at, I don't know, some kind of extra lighting; you can see it on the ground, too.  The shading layer is over the color layer with the eye, but I guess it's too subtle?

I'm pretty glad I changed Mawile to be shiny.  Klink using some kind of attack?  I'm not entirely sure what you mean- it's Mawile's turn.

Just two things I want to point out about my drawing:

>Nah, I didn't really put that much effort on it, I just made an

simple drawing with an half ass painting just for the sake of

participation because the time was already short when I

decided to do something and I just wanted to, you know,

show of a bit. So, don't give me credits for the effort, I don't 

deserve them...

Not saying the drawing/painting quality would be that higher if

I were really wanting something, but it would at least have some

composition, background and etc...

>The girl wasn't exactly meant to be an moe metagross.

btw, congratulations to the winners, you guys really deserved it o/

PS: Lyouie's skarmory is still my favorite!

Edited by Maelstrom
2 hours ago, DarylDixon said:

debuti was nice for the 2nd place :[

Thanks Daryl! I'll try to do my best in the next contest!

4 hours ago, RacheLucario said:

Perhaps the best way to demonstrate this is by showing what the image would look like with its colours adjusted for the time of day. I mocked up an alternative version of the artwork with corrected colours and lighting, but as it would be disrespectful to share it without your permission, let me know if you'd like to see it.

Yep, why not? A daylight version can be cool, I had no reason to do it at night, I simply decide it! And..

4 hours ago, RacheLucario said:

Despite my criticism of it, I have a lot of respect for this entry. It's very ambitious and it's clear that a lot of time and effort was put into it. The base drawing is extremely good, with only the colour and shading letting it down. If you keep up the good work and keep the interaction between colours in mind, I have no doubt that you can make it far.

...this means so much, I'm not used to colour scanned drawings and I wanted to do something absolutely different for the next contest, but maybe I keep trying following your tips (is it legal if I show it to you before finishing it?), I don't know, let's wait to see what type the winner says!!

Thanks again!!

2 hours ago, debuti said:

Thanks Daryl! I'll try to do my best in the next contest!

Yep, why not? A daylight version can be cool, I had no reason to do it at night, I simply decide it! And..

...this means so much, I'm not used to colour scanned drawings and I wanted to do something absolutely different for the next contest, but maybe I keep trying following your tips (is it legal if I show it to you before finishing it?), I don't know, let's wait to see what type the winner says!!

Thanks again!!

This is the version I mocked up with corrected colours/lighting. It's a fairly quick and minimal job, but should give a good idea of what I was talking about. If you use a colour picker tool to examine the colours used, the results should be quite interesting. The Scizor's colours are quite dark and actually fairly close to pink on the colour wheel. The roof of the building is a shade of purple, and the trees are actually cyan rather than green. There is very minimal usage of warm colours overall.

Xr8DMBT.png

This progress picture that you showed alongside your final artwork is the version I worked from. All credit is of course yours.

Spoiler

RCUEITG.jpg

For the sake of fairness, I won't critique entries during contests, but am happy to share my thoughts on artwork once the contest closes.

• Noad unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.