Expert Belt

OrangeManiac

Question

Expert Belt is Generation 4 introduced item, which gives a 20% boost to super effective hits without any negative side effects. This at first sounds very powerful item, perhaps better than Life Ball. It's very common to have a super effective move against an opponent and if you don't, you often end up switching. However, it's evident in other competitive metagames that Life Orb (Life Ball in PokeMMO) is much more often used item even despite it's seeming big drawback of 10% HP loss every time used and static 30% damage boost.

I personally think Expert Belt is beneficial to PokeMMO gameplay in following ways:

+ Create diversity in Doubles. I personally feel like this item is going to be used most in Doubles environment, due to be able to hit super effectively more often than in Singles. Currently Doubles item selection is very limited, often just Sitrus Berries and Life Balls and a random Leftovers user here and there.

+ Create a completely new type of offense in Singles. Currently most wallbreakers and sweepers are set up move + Life Orb or Choice Banders. Expert Belt brings one diversity factor of being able to hit hard without being locked to any move or have any damage penalty. 4-coverage-move sweepers aren't that common in MMO metagame currently and this would definitely add those in the mix.

+ Easy to implement as Expert Belt exists in HeartGold.

Cons:

- Possibly unnecessary shake for tiering? I don't really think so though, because I only expect following Pokemon to become common Expert Belt users: Sceptile, Starmie, Nidoking, Tentacruel, Manectric, Lanturn, Electabuzz, Magmar, Raichu so I don't think anyone of those would go up a tier for becoming broken or to be used in higher tier only due to this item. It could be that Life Ball would still be better choice for some of those, especially depending on the set.

- Idk, come up with something else people?

17 answers to this question

I dont know other gens but, when i started , there was only Choice band. It was very powerful and expensive too. We learnt play against it with walls lol.

And that item something huge. Super effective move = Already boosted move. After Expert Belt, you cant say "My mantine can take super effective move and still alive muhahahaha" xD

Summary: If there is a powerful item, there must be another powerful item to counter it at future gens right? We need something boost def or something else.

Why not implement all items?

Edited by FinnTheMember
7 minutes ago, FinnTheMember said:

I dont know other gens but, when i started , there was only Choice band. It was very powerful and expensive too. We learnt play against it with walls lol.

And that item something huge. Super effective move = Already boosted move. You cant say "My mantine can take super effective move and still alive muhahahaha" xD

Summary: If there is a powerful item, there must be another powerful item to counter it at future gens right? We need something boost def or something else.

The only defensive items implemented in Pokemon really are berries which reduce damage from certain type's attacks (often used on sweepers with 4x weaknesses) and Eviolite, which however was designed to make lower evolutions more viable instead of making defense itself more viable. That's at least my theory, if defense wanted to be made better why not give an item to final evolutions to boost defense? Leftovers for walls is the go to item anyways.

What comes to implementing all items, I mean why not. But still I assume we have to go each of them one by one because it's not like this game implements everything at once.

Edited by OrangeManiac
4 minutes ago, FinnTheMember said:

And that item something huge. Super effective move = Already boosted move. You cant say "My mantine can take super effective move and still alive muhahahaha" xD

While I have no idea what 90% of this post means, you're not really wrong about " there must be another powerful item to counter it at future gens right? We need something boost def or something else." because Sash is a thing as well in gen 4, which is another item I'd love to see in this game. There are also all of those berries that reduce the damage of certain types of attacks which seems even more relevant when thinking about expert belt. 

Granted Orange is right, expert belt really doesn't outshine life orb in a lot of cases. 

Air Balloon, Weakness Policy, Big Root, Power Herb (geomancy op), Rocky Helmet, Black Sludge would be cool too if we're talking about increasing the viable item pool.

I also started to give a deeper thought about future gen Berry mechanics (Iapapa/ Aguav/ Mago/ Figy/ Wiki), which restore 50% of HP to the pokemon with correct nature when HP drops at 25% or less. It's like, a more risky Sitrus berry- restores twice as much HP but only if HP drops at 25% or below, compared to Sitrus' 50% or below mechanics.

What do you guys think of that?

28 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Air Balloon, Weakness Policy, Big Root, Power Herb (geomancy op), Rocky Helmet, Black Sludge would be cool too if we're talking about increasing the viable item pool.

I also started to give a deeper thought about future gen Berry mechanics (Iapapa/ Aguav/ Mago/ Figy/ Wiki), which restore 50% of HP to the pokemon with correct nature when HP drops at 25% or less. It's like, a more risky Sitrus berry- restores twice as much HP but only if HP drops at 25% or below, compared to Sitrus' 50% or below mechanics.

Yeah but don't those berries confuse you or something, or was that only if you don't have the proper nature on them?

2 hours ago, RysPicz said:

focus sash, eviolite (to ban chansey) flame orb toxic orb, and shuca berry u forgot those

Love e-belt, mostly because it's the perfect item to bluff a choice set. I don't see any harm in it coming in - it certainly wouldn't shake the tiers up to the point where we'd need a reset. But rrrrgh can we please get those resist berries? (Passho shuca chople etc). Would amp up the creativity of our game exponentially, and also provide more PVE content right

9 minutes ago, DarylDixon said:

flame/toxic  orb on machamp,heracross and swellow man huee  and focus sash would help in lc and at some pokes...

Stop taking drugs, they're bad for you

I know how those items work Daryl, I just pointed at the fact that implementing one berry (?) is weird and I thiiink devs/ tc might not be fond of sash either, otherwise it would brl

be implemented along with choice items and orb/ shed hull. I might be wrong, just my own assumption

2 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Love e-belt, mostly because it's the perfect item to bluff a choice set. I don't see any harm in it coming in - it certainly wouldn't shake the tiers up to the point where we'd need a reset. But rrrrgh can we please get those resist berries? (Passho shuca chople etc). Would amp up the creativity of our game exponentially, and also provide more PVE content right

Yes pls!