[OU Discussion] Chansey

15 minutes ago, soyhector said:

All here use chansey except for codylramey and me? :v

I don't. My team is built in such a way I don't feel like I need a chansey. Alakazam? I'll just switch my Meta on Psychic and pursuit it, c u zam. Magneton? lol ok nice try, my Swamp is grateful for a free switch, Jolteon? I carry a Porygon, which is probably my only wall-ish poke and that's about it. I can go on but that's not the point.

I think people in OU are wayy too used to just throwing one sdef wall into their team and that's it, job done, all special attackers walled. This strategy won't pass in UU or NU. In UU, if you chose your sdef wall as Cradily, you will struggle against a lot of specs users some of which can even OHKO (looking at you, Jynx). Clefable is great with it's normal typing but it does worse job in stopping threats like Manectric and has a pretty meh ability. Miltank isn't bad either with it's high speed but in terms of bulk it's inferior to Clefable. Kec is on the rise in UU right now and probably will become UU soon but it's ability makes it a double-edged sword.

NU has no good spec walls lol.

OU has chansey and that's about it, not running chansey but things like Umb or Pory is called a "gimmick" now because of how dominant the pink blob became.

5 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

If there are people coming forward and saying they don't need Chansey on their team to handle special attackers, it begs the question of is Chansey really that centralizing then? I know it's an awful small sample size but obviously these folks don't feel like they're at a disadvantage by not using the old blob.

Just something to consider I guess, I'd still consider myself on the fence in this discussion. I'd like to hear more comp players come forth and answer this question - do you feel like you HAVE to run Chansey? 

I totally don't feel like it. With few of the recent teams I built I succeeded really well in matchmaking (current one went 7-0, pretty proud of it) and I have beaten tons of chanseys while using none. Chansey is a nobrainer poke, people forget that there are things like Umbreon, Gardevoir or Porygon which also perform really well against special offense and they got a lot of tricks up their sleeves as well. Right now stall is incredibly successful in OU, and Chansey is the main reason imo.

18 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

If there are people coming forward and saying they don't need Chansey on their team to handle special attackers, it begs the question of is Chansey really that centralizing then? I know it's an awful small sample size but obviously these folks don't feel like they're at a disadvantage by not using the old blob.

Just something to consider I guess, I'd still consider myself on the fence in this discussion. I'd like to hear more comp players come forth and answer this question - do you feel like you HAVE to run Chansey? 

I haven't used Chansey once in my OU Ranked run and you can't say it has gone too badly. I'm willing to tell everyone I'm not running Chansey and still I don't expect this information to harmful towards me.

Your first point, I kinda see it in a different way. If people do not have to run Chansey against special attackers but they still do it, that's when I would accept the argument that Chansey is in fact way too good at what it does, which is walling and supporting. Before I've felt like many have had to run Chansey because of their teambuild, which has left a gaping hole to that strong special attacker. I personally use lots of effort to counter the strong special attackers without Chansey and you can create successful teams like this, however Chansey just opens up so much room for whatever you wanna run with the rest of the Pokemon without trying to push for that maximum synergy.

6 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

do you feel like you HAVE to run Chansey?

nope. makes teambuilding a lot easier due to chansey being a normal type and not having a single special weakness in the mmo ou meta, but i think more and more people adapt to chansey, so using it has more downsides than before. therefore i dont think its necessary to run chansey.

someone mentioned it before, chansey is damn easy to breed and doesnt need as much support as other special bulky pokes need, so ofc its easier to breed one chansey instead of a ludi / pory / whatever and another poke that makes up for weaknesses that occur when teambuilding. i also think people take more and more advantage of chansey, so if the meta evolved faster it might not even sit at 50%, which ofc is pure speculation, but im positive will keep adjusting to its usage and therefor more and more risks using it will occur.

4 hours ago, Kanzo said:

Not only checks but keeps the tier balanced and healthy.

this

Does chansey limits teambuilding?

Well, for the ppl who uses it, it actually makes teambuilding easier as some ppl already stated above, because it already offers all the coverage you need against special attackers plus amazing support with wish/aroma/status and it's ability while she doesn't require any support besides your standard physical walls, so it makes you free to use "whatever you want" on the other five slots on your team. In fact, the chansey meta already proved to be way more diverse than snorlax meta even with it being over 50% usage and if there's a reason for it, I bet this is the reason.

For ppl building against it, it's just too good to not be prepared for, just like any top threat mon. It's not like snorlax, who required 3 mons to check it plus your own snorlax and even then you still weren't safe enough against it.

So, to conclude, I don't think chansey presence limits teambuilding at all.

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

There are so many chanseys that not many people run heavy special attack teams, so there is no need to use the best special wall... so the only real reason to use chansey is its support power, but if you dont need or dont want a support, there is no need for chansey....

But that is all true just because chansey makes special attackers not that viable in the first place

1 minute ago, Maelstrom said:

Talking about the alternative spwalls, I like Gardevoir, the problem

is that she can be pursuit traped, meh...

Weakness to shadow ball also annoying, and having wish + heal bell limits your coverage. Houndoom ends up being solid counter.

people seriusly think that ou with out chansey all special sweepers rekts? just not, i'm using special wall gardevoir and it work better than chansey to my teams, and umbreon can be another good option, but actually in ou u need get a chansey counter.

15 minutes ago, Quilachy said:

people seriusly think that ou with out chansey all special sweepers rekts? just not, i'm using special wall gardevoir and it work better than chansey to my teams, and umbreon can be another good option, but actually in ou u need get a chansey counter.

Sure you can use garde now because chansey is in the tier and its the best sp def wall currently, but what happens if chansey gets banned? The meta gets different and then garde and pory are the main sp def walls. And as stated above, sp def garde gets destroyed by houndoom. So its good now because chansey has very high usage and thats what you gotta look forward into seing when team building. But pretty sure a meta without chansey would be alot of trapping by houndoom and specs users ripping a new one to pory.

20 hours ago, Kanzo said:

U serious on all this?

So for example to check Jolteon u use scarf flygon and u think u can switch in whenever and whatever u want?

wtf is this logic bs. i don't even wanna talk about the rest of ur shitty checks lmfao.

this guy is the prove of why the meta would become unbalanced without Chansey. btw

>Chansey

Venusaur/Flygon/Rhydon/Nidoking/Nidokqueen/Heracross/Jolteon/Gardevoir/Metagross/Haunter/Missydreavus/Bannette/Gastly.

@Kanzo

What he described is like exactly how I play. Haha. 

I do use chansey but not 100% of the time, like when i play the same person in ranked twice chansey is the 1st poke i will change cause it becomes setup bait for ursaring / haunter and i usually lose if i dont replace chan cause thats usually the weakness my opponent tries to exploit since i run very offensive teams in this meta. And for the record countless times my chansey gets rekt by sp attackers.. 4f's gladiators, some sceptiles when played right, specs typhlosion hurts like shit, specs zams late game,also id suggest to players having trouble with chansey to play growth venu + flygon / swampert core it will be annoying as hell

On 1/10/2017 at 10:29 PM, Bluejim said:

How do you feel Chansey’s presence in OU affects teambuilding and duel progression?

Does Chansey’s presence in OU inhibits or encourages skillful plays?

I'm at the Lamborghini dealership getting some work done so I figured I would give you guys some input above and beyond my knee jerk reaction I posted some pages back...

Re: Teambuilding

When your building a team you need to find ways to exploit Chansey as your opponent is more than likely using one.

spikes/ghost type/ set up bait 

Additionally, if using chansey a way to punish trapinch users and gain momentum if/when your chansey is killed.

most new users are going to use chansey as thier go-to special wall as it is realitively inexpensive to breed/buy.

Re: Duel Progression

Chansey in many chances will be involved in a win condition.

"if I keep my Chansey alive and not tricked I win"

"if I can get my opponents Chansey below 50% and force it out I win"

these are common win conditions I run into every day.  These also seem to come up vs. Less experienced players.

when I play against players who are on the more aggressive side often times my Chansey doesn't do a whole lot but get killed or do some chip dmg with seismic toss on the way out.

duel progression is going to change a lot match to match...

Re: Skillfull plays 

I always find the use of the term "Skill" in regards to individual Pokemon and mechanics a bit laughable.  You either understand the game and it's mechanics or you don't.  You either have a good line up to face your opponent with or you don't.

In many ways predicting a curse on snorlax or a twave on Chansey is the same "skill"

with all of that said... I think the meta as it stands now w/o lax takes more skill to play than when lax was around.  I find myself having to make more predictions, and play more aggressively than when lax was around.

with all of this said I am inclined to say keeping Chansey around fosters skill... 

Re: My support for the tier council

I wanted to put a public note somewhere and here is as a good of a place as any.  I want to thank the tier council for thier hard work and professionalism.  I have thrown some pretty harsh Critism at you guys in the past and you maintained composure and acted as true ambassadors to the Pokemmo community.

Re: Other thoughts 

I am generally against bans, and in the case of snorlax it has already resulted in chain bans.  (Rydon to BL). If Chansey is also banned as a result then it's time to re-address the question of "what can we move down from ubers"

Much like snorlax I believe that Chansey fosters diversity.  If Chansey is removed we are going to have even less options as we are going to have to plug the hole with multiple Pokemon....

Thanks again guys and good luck.

Edited by Munya
Personal attacks/arguments are not fine, please remain on the subject of Chansey in OU.
Spoiler
10 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

Re: personal attacks 

If any of you want to attack me personally it's fine... But please include the following:

IGN:

Wager your willing to bet you can beat me in OU: (500k minimum please)

Your general availability to battle me.

you should open a wager thread, that thing would boom i think.

11 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

Re: My support for the tier council

I wanted to put a public note somewhere and here is as a good of a place as any.  I want to thank the tier council for thier hard work and professionalism.  I have thrown some pretty harsh Critism at you guys in the past and you maintained composure and acted as true ambassadors to the Pokemmo community.

probs for this one tho.