[OU Discussion] Chansey

Just now, DrButler said:

running umb to be safe from zam and allowing growth venu and jolt to go ham sounds good.

Tenta would stop venu at least, plus chan was never good at stopping venu.

But wow, we're already seeing how much of a spdef core teams could need now.

To everyone discouraged by this ban, let me remind each of you that this is merely a "test ban". Test bans of this type typically only last for one month and are designed to better understand the influence a potentially unhealthy pokemon as on the tier it is most relegated to. 

There have been several complaints over the course of the past few months that the Overused tier is simply stale, and not enjoyable to play. In my personal opinion, this stems from over half the OU player base using Chansey on their teams (51.34%). When a certain pokemon rises to such levels of use questions will be asked and answers will need to be provided. 

The tier council is doing the appropriate thing by test banning this pokemon in order to better assess if it truly is unhealthy for the tier or not. Are there drawbacks to banning Chansey? Certainly. We all know how dangerous special attackers can be, especially with Choice Specs and Life Orb. Are there other answers that players have already been using in this meta? Yes, Porygon2, Ludicolo, Umbreon, and various others. While they may not be 100% switch-ins like Chansey is, there typing can provide added benefits when paired with specific defensive cores. The OU tier now needs to rely on creativity and team building to handle special attackers rather than just one blanket check to everything. 

And at the end of the day, you the players will be able to stand up and counter argue this ban. After one month, the tier council will have to decide whether they are going to implement this ban permanently, extend the test process, or deny the ban entirely. Your opinion is what matters, not how vicious you can be toward a tier council that is simply doing their job. 

tl;dr This isn't permanent. It's just a test. 

3 minutes ago, DrButler said:

?

offensive pokes are suppose to deal high damage if they use the righ move even against walls... its not suprise it can 2 hit ko meta with hp ground... thats pretty healthy

anyway we have 1 month to see who is right...imo, magne and starmie gonna be way stronger than zam

21 minutes ago, LuisPocho said:

offensive pokes are suppose to deal high damage if they use the righ move even against walls... its not suprise it can 2 hit ko meta with hp ground... thats pretty healthy

anyway we have 1 month to see who is right...imo, magne and starmie gonna be way stronger than zam

nah. Most people here cant play without chansey. 

Discussions will be so high that one month from now, chansey will return.

2 hours ago, DrButler said:

252+ SpA Life Orb Alakazam Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gardevoir: 82-98 (46.8 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Porygon2: 84-100 (43.7 - 52%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Ludicolo: 102-121 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

252+ SpA Life Orb Alakazam Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Metagross: 90-108 (48.1 - 57.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

252+ SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Miltank: 102-120 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

looks like theres a fun ou meta ahead of us.

It took a decent amount of time to prove that Alakazam was broken in UU, so I believe it is way too early to even consider Zam as broken in a Chanseyless OU meta. 

5 minutes ago, gbwead said:

It took a decent amount of time to prove that Alakazam was broken in UU, so I believe it is way too early to even consider Zam as broken in a Chanseyless OU meta. 

yeah, definetely went overboard by expressing itd be broken so soon. should have calced other stuff as well. whoops.

As someone who has willingly never wanted to play/played Chansey, I never saw it as broken or unhealthy.

I don't know whether i'm excited about this change or not, i honestly don't care that much.

Maybe the meta will be more about skill and predictions and not about wish/protect chansey + weezing, so maybe it's kinda good.

The ones who are crying right now are no skill hax wall and stall players. Stay salty and adapt, scrubs

Edited by Tranzmaster

o30b4Rm.png

TC got some real harsh critics.

As for my opinion, I'm glad I won't need to deal with Chansey for a while, but I still feel she was a necessary evil. On one hand, you can't just slap chan onto your team and have your spdef core pretty much covered anymore, you need to build a core yourself, which promotes more diverse teambuilding. On the other hand, the right combo of special sweepers can tear down teams quickly now if the foe lacks a needed wall to stop a powerful threat.

1 minute ago, suigin said:

For the people freaking out: It's a test ban, it will only last a month or so, so don't go around selling your Chanseys and even after all that it will get unbanned once gen5 eventually hits.

Well let's be real, eviolite will buff chansey to new levels of bulkiness and without gen 5 legendaries, we're missing a lot of fighting stabs. 

29 minutes ago, suigin said:

The despair is sweeter if you give them hope first.

New TC member and I already like you

31 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

Well let's be real, eviolite will buff chansey to new levels of bulkiness and without gen 5 legendaries, we're missing a lot of fighting stabs. 

Nah Lusario will be there. Also remember- we will get 130 BP HJK, we won't really miss a lot, if anything, fighting types will get a huge boost

1 minute ago, RysPicz said:

New TC member and I already like you

Nah Lusario will be there. Also remember- we will get 130 BP HJK, we won't really miss a lot, if anything, fighting types will get a huge boost

If we're assuming we get that, we also get the full powered wish passes, so chansey can send over 180 hp wish passes to skarmory or anything else it wants, for a solid 100% recovery. 

I will admit we get another group of fighting types, including mienshao (limited to regen set though), infernape (imo the best out of the new fighting types), toxicroak, lucario as you mentioned, conkeldurr, and gallade. There are a few others but I don't see them being viable in OU. 

High Jump kick is fairly low distribution. I'd still prefer close combat/superpower over it when possible, but it'll be nice for medicham/mienshao that don't have access to either of the stat dropping fighting moves.

7 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

if anything, fighting types will get a huge boost

close combat, dynamicpunch machamp, aura sphere, focus miss. Fighting types will be more viable for sure, and some spec attackers will be able to damage chansey decently. there's even psyshock if focus miss isnt available/sucks too much

Just now, notmudkip0 said:

close combat, dynamicpunch machamp, aura sphere, focus miss. Fighting types will be more viable for sure, and some spec attackers will be able to damage chansey decently. there's even psyshock if focus miss isnt available/sucks too much

Don't forget you can always metronome psystrike too