[PSL 7] HYPE Thread

13 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I wasn't much aroudn for early PSL seasons, but didn't it use to be like that for showdown tiers as well? I might be wrong, but I heard there was nearly no showdown players from the PokeMMO community.

The only difference between then and now is that back then we had good players in showdown tiers and now we have monkeys.

Also whoever wants LC should see a doctor that can measure brain activity

14 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I wasn't much aroudn for early PSL seasons, but didn't it use to be like that for showdown tiers as well? I might be wrong, but I heard there was nearly no showdown players from the PokeMMO community.

Showdown tiers are a lot more flexible for people filling in, since they have an unlimited amount of comps at their disposal to test teams with 

Just now, Tranzmaster said:

The only difference between then and now is that back then we had good players in showdown tiers and now we have monkeys.

Or nearly all showdown players at that time were crap, so the ones that did stand out looked like gods? The old gods are now average monkeys?

7 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Showdown tiers are a lot more flexible for people filling in, since they have an unlimited amount of comps at their disposal to test teams with 

The number of players is still fixed. Last season, we hardly had 8 ADV players and ADV was still selected as a tier. LC is an official PokeMMO tier, so it should be privileged somewhat, especially since there are more than 8 LC players out there.

2 minutes ago, gbwead said:

The number of players is still fixed. Last season, we hardly had 8 ADV players and ADV was still selected as a tier. LC is an official PokeMMO tier, so it should be privileged somewhat, especially since there are more than 8 LC players out there.

I'm not saying LC shouldn't be included, only that your comparison to showdown tiers is wrong. Remind me again why pokemmo tiers should be privileged? Should xatus shitty ass tier get the nod over Sumo then, because of this made up fantasy rule?

Tiers should be selected based on their quality of play and accessibility. If LC fits the bill then there's an argument it deserves a spot. No need for an awful analogy involving showdown tiers 

Just now, Gunthug said:

I'm not saying LC shouldn't be included, only that your comparison to showdown tiers is wrong. Remind me again why pokemmo tiers should be privileged? Should xatus shitty ass tier get the nod over Sumo then, because of this made up fantasy rule?

Tiers should be selected based on their quality of play and accessibility. If LC fits the bill then there's an argument it deserves a spot. No need for an awful analogy involving showdown tiers 

Are you really comparing LC, a tier supported by MMO with w/e that random troll came up with? gunt pls you're better than this

7 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

No, clearly LC is a much better tier - but the blanket rule that the tiers we use on our MMO are somehow more deserving than some of the best competitive tiers in pokemon history is nonsense 

gbwead mentioned ADV which is literally shit. I think it's obvious we should have DPP OU and ORAS OU (2 best ever), it's probably too soon to include anything gen7 related tho

Seeing as we have 5 MMO tiers and 2 showdown tiers there's still room to add something else or just double 1 or 2 of those MMO tiers

Edit: If I wasn't clear enough, I really fucking love DPP and ORAS

Edited by LifeStyle
Fuck ADV
3 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Toast said that LC should not be selected as a PSL tier because of the lack of LC players. Considering the lack of Showdown players in the past, this argument is fairly weak. I don't see any reason to get so defensive about this analogy when I was merely stating facts here.

9 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Remind me again why pokemmo tiers should be privileged?

Well, we are on the PokeMMO forum and members of our community are PokeMMO players. It should be pretty obvious why PokeMMO players would prefer to play PokeMMO tiers rather than something compeltly unrelated.

In all cases, I hope PSL tiers will be decided after the players sign up and not before. I think it makes more sense to let people sign up in whatever they want and then select the most popular tiers. Imposing ADV as a tier before the sign up was a big mistake imo.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

Tiers should be selected based on their quality of play 

Rip Doubles

24 minutes ago, gbwead said:

except for the part where like 20 people signed up to play ADV

1 minute ago, gbwead said:

Ya, but ADV was selected before the sign up, so you have no comparison basis with tiers that were not selected.

I don't think tiers were confirmed before the sign up, because VGC was set to be included but was dropped due to a lack of players

Just now, DaftCoolio said:

I don't think tiers were confirmed before the sign up, because VGC was set to be included but was dropped due to a lack of players

It was dropped because people wanted to see ADV more than VGC. For that reason, players were not able to sign up for VGC. If people want to see a tier, that doesn't mean there are players in that tier. Would there have been more VGC players than ADV players? We will never know.

20 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

gbwead mentioned ADV which is literally shit. I think it's obvious we should have DPP OU and ORAS OU (2 best ever), it's probably too soon to include anything gen7 related tho

Seeing as we have 5 MMO tiers and 2 showdown tiers there's still room to add something else or just double 1 or 2 of those MMO tiers

Well I won't defend adv, last season was definitely rough, but gbwead mentioned all showdown tiers going back to when they were first introduced to psl. Again not saying there isn't room for LC this yeae, only that you can make a case for it without trying to drag down showdown 

12 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Toast said that LC should not be selected as a PSL tier because of the lack of LC players. Considering the lack of Showdown players in the past, this argument is fairly weak. I don't see any reason to get so defensive about this analogy when I was merely stating facts here.

Well, we are on the PokeMMO forum and members of our community are PokeMMO players. It should be pretty obvious why PokeMMO players would prefer to play PokeMMO tiers rather than something compeltly unrelated.

In all cases, I hope PSL tiers will be decided after the players sign up and not before. I think it makes more sense to let people sign up in whatever they want and then select the most popular tiers. Imposing ADV as a tier before the sign up was a big mistake imo.

Hide contents

Rip Doubles

I'll always get defensive when the anti-showdown crowd rears it's ugly head, because it just makes no sense to me. Again, your analogy falls flat because a lack of players for an MMO tier is a much bigger problem than for a showdown tier, given how much work it takes to break into a new tier in MMO. 

To your point that it makes sense why you'd prefer MMO tiers - It does not make sense to me at all, but maybe I'm in the minority on this one. Doesn't mean I'll stop beating this drum though whenever it's brought up. How are showdown tiers "completely unrelated" to MMO tiers? We're playing competitive pokemon, it's a pretty universal language. And we certainly didn't reinvent the wheel here at MMO - if anything we are playing with mere fractions of the actual finished product (no legends, key post-split coverage moves). Plus it's not like MMO tiers are underrepresented as it is - we've never had more than two showdown tiers in a psl and no one is really pushing for that number to increase 

Edited by Gunthug
5 minutes ago, gbwead said:

It was dropped because people wanted to see ADV more than VGC. For that reason, players were not able to sign up for VGC. If people want to see a tier, that doesn't mean there are players in that tier. Would there have been more VGC players than ADV players? We will never know.

What?? People were able to sign up for both ADV and VGC. VGC wasn't dropped because it had to be ADV or VGC, it was dropped because like 11 people signed up for it.