[PSL 7] HYPE Thread

9 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Well I won't defend adv, last season was definitely rough, but gbwead mentioned all showdown tiers going back to when they were first introduced to psl. Again not saying there isn't room for LC this yeae, only that you can make a case for it without trying to drag down showdown 

I'll always get defensive when the anti-showdown crowd rears it's ugly head, because it just makes no sense to me. Again, your analogy falls flat because a lack of players for an MMO tier is a much bigger problem than for a showdown tier, given how much work it takes to break into a new tier in MMO. 

It does not make sense to mensure, but maybe I'm in the minority on this one. Doesn't mean I'll stop beating this drum though whenever it's brought up. How are showdown tiers "completely unrelated" to MMO tiers? We're playing competitive pokemon, it's a pretty universal language. And we certainly didn't reinvent the wheel here at MMO - if anything we are playing with mere fractions of the actual finished product (no legends, key post-split coverage moves). Plus it's not like MMO tiers are underrepresented as it is - we've never had more than two showdown tiers in a psl and no one is really pushing for that number to increase 

I have dragged down showdown tiers in the past, but that is not what I was doing here. Let me put it this way; if Showdown tiers have been successful in PSL despite the lack of Showdown players, why would LC not be successful as well despite the potential lack of players?

4 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

What?? People were able to sign up for both ADV and VGC. VGC wasn't dropped because it had to be ADV or VGC, it was dropped because like 11 people signed up for it.

Alright, my bad.

Edited by gbwead
2 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I have dragged down showdown tiers in the past, but that is not what I was doing here. Let me put it this way; if Showdown tiers have been successful in PSL despite the lack of Showdown players, why would LC not be successful as well despite the potential lack of players?

It's hard for me to read a comment of yours that mentions showdown without reading into the fact that you have spoken out against them in the past. My answer to your hypothetical remains the same - players can become showdown standouts literally during the course of the psl season because of how accessible the tiers are. More often than not, a season will end with more "showdown" players than there were at the beginning. LC faces different obstacles, namely that creating comps takes time and effort 

Unsure if I'm managing yet.. I decided I'l see who is managing first and if it looks bad, I'l swoop in a save the day.

For real. DPP OU is a no brainer, it's definitely the most fun to play and to watch. I honestly don't think we need to question it, it's got a lot of support already.

I thought in season 5 ORAS was very successful, I even got to play it and I loved it. I would like to see a return on that.

I think season 5 showcased the best showdown tiers, and they were both successful in the regard that I think everyone enjoyed them. So my motto is, If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Edited by KaynineXL

With regards to showdown tiers compared to LC, it's basically the barrier to entry that's the biggest issue. Like let me discuss this from my pov where I'm not so knowledgeable on them:

ADV OU - I'm not a competitive ADV player, but seeing as how the mechanics / pokemon were almost like how we had in MMO, it's definitely not something new to someone who has been playing this game since 2013 or 2014. Moreover there are so many resources available on smogon like an ADV threat list, what sets are common on ADV pokemon, seeing replays of good players. All of this can be done quite easily without having to put too much effort into it. You can even get practice by laddering or discuss things with other reputable players.

LC - I know fuck all about this tier honestly. Firstly I need to know what is good in the tier, and that would mean checking out the LC viability thread by Dennis. Then I'll need to watch replays of LC tournaments and with our replay system, this would be a complete snoozefest. After figuring out what pokemon are needed, I then need to breed them and make sure that I don't fuck up in the process of levelling by evolving them. Moreover because of how there's very few players who even play this tier, finding someone to practice with or discuss ideas with is also quite rare. 

The only reason I would find someone who hasn't done LC at all but yet still sign up for the tier, would be to increase their chances of getting picked up. 

Edited by NikhilR