[PSL 7] HYPE Thread

I remember when PSL was about creating teams that broke the boundaries of the current in-game teams and that made teams to try to work the best by giving each other practice matches, sharing comps and stuff like that and the PSL team united more and more by week. That's how I feel as it was before. The season 3 I managed I don't think there was more than one trade made in the whole season. I was given a trade offer during that season but I turned it down because the player in my team didn't want to leave my team. The whole PSL team becoming like your new actual team was the very reason I decided to host Season 4, because no other format could do something like this. During the season 4 I hosted there was not a single trade the whole season despite the trade rule existing back then. What it has come to now is that the managers trade players like it's their fucking leisure activity, I mean come on.

And before this trade just explodes with misinterpretations I'll make this clear that I will be doing my best every week to win for gb's Kecleons or whoever he decides to trade me the next week, so I have no problems with that personally. I'm just viewing this from the PSL kind of perspective.

1 minute ago, KingBowser said:

Eggrolls sigs #1

i was actually looking through the old signature rating thread the other day, sifting through broken quotes and spoilers to see some of the good old sigs and was thinking "damn eggroll was fucking good" namely the ones with the helmets.

Spoiler

SmokEm still #1 in my heart though. 

Spoiler

JOQ5i8i.png

57 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

I remember when PSL was about creating teams that broke the boundaries of the current in-game teams and that made teams to try to work the best by giving each other practice matches, sharing comps and stuff like that and the PSL team united more and more by week. That's how I feel as it was before. The season 3 I managed I don't think there was more than one trade made in the whole season. I was given a trade offer during that season but I turned it down because the player in my team didn't want to leave my team. The whole PSL team becoming like your new actual team was the very reason I decided to host Season 4, because no other format could do something like this. During the season 4 I hosted there was not a single trade the whole season despite the trade rule existing back then. What it has come to now is that the managers trade players like it's their fucking leisure activity, I mean come on.

And before this trade just explodes with misinterpretations I'll make this clear that I will be doing my best every week to win for gb's Kecleons or whoever he decides to trade me the next week, so I have no problems with that personally. I'm just viewing this from the PSL kind of perspective.

And so much this. Season 4 was awesome for me as for manager. I had people from all the MMO teams around the world, mostly consisting from LYLE members who carried week by week. I havent made a single trade because team was so strong we were close to get a second in history 10-0, team was full of professionals who squeezed out 200% every time and put an effort to train and become better each week. I still think trades are cancerous in most of examples and they kinda ruin the entire team spirit.

Cant really elaborate cuz im at work already

1 hour ago, OrangeManiac said:

It was certainly a different mentality from managers, but I honestly can't say that the team dynamic is any different. In every team that I've either managed or been a part of, we still make a huge effort to support one another, whether that is loaning comps, offering practice battles, or simply being there. From season one until now. If that is different in other teams, then I can only put the blame on the manager and the players themselves. Speaking from my team, Lion puts a lot of effort into ensuring we all are prepared and ready to duel week in and week out. Do we have the results? Fuck no, but none of us are worried because we know we're still one hell of a team.

Now in regards to the trade system, we've had a total of 8 trades since the start of this season, three of which have included you and five of which occurred in the last five days. 7/8 managers have participated in making a trade this season and there is yet to be any backlash from the players involved. Is it more cutthroat than before? Certainly. Managers have been empowered and they do more than just submit a roster on a weekly basis. I personally think this is a good thing and this is represented by the high amount of manager applications this season. 

So why am I responding? Well because I made an assumption that you were taking a shot at how I host the PSL and I didn't like it. Were you talking down to the rules I established and the way I do things? I don't know. But I took offense to it and I'm hoping you can explain why you felt empowered to make a post like you did. 

1 minute ago, DoubleJ said:

So why am I responding? Well because I made an assumption that you were taking a shot at how I host the PSL and I didn't like it. Were you talking down to the rules I established and the way I do things? I don't know. But I took offense to it and I'm hoping you can explain why you felt empowered to make a post like you did. 

What you mentioned above this I can just say fair enough but I'm just super confused about this post right now because of this very thing. I particularly mentioned in my very post you're quoting to is that the trade rules existed even in earlier seasons, including the one I hosted. In fact, the rules you have for trades are almost identical that I used to have - only difference being that credits weren't allowed to be included. I really don't understand how can you take this as an offense to the host, from all the people?

I was directing it at the managers. Just because I understand PSL is about competition and winning and building the best team around the managers, we still need to remember PSL is 90% about players. It's not fun when the team morale is shit from the players' perspective because they don't know who is your damn teammate or manager the next week. Just when I was settling to Kakunas, starting to get practice matches with PinkWings in Doubles - next thing you know I'm like "oh bye, never mind".

6 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

I was directing it at the managers. Just because I understand PSL is about competition and winning and building the best team around the managers, we still need to remember PSL is 90% about players. It's not fun when the team morale is shit from the players' perspective because they don't know who is your damn teammate or manager the next week. Just when I was settling to Kakunas, starting to get practice matches with PinkWings in Doubles - next thing you know I'm like "oh bye, never mind".

Just gonna say my team morale improved last season after offloading the dead weight, maybe its because whoever your manager is keeps getting you ;)

Despite making a trade, I do agree with the point that Orange is making. I believe in all my players and will continue to support them, even through a loss. I like to see effort, and as long as effort is shown there is nothing I can do but help develop them as a player. All players can improve, and I honestly hate to see a player leave my roster after I have drafted them. I feel like I have failed in my duties

1 minute ago, OrangeManiac said:

What you mentioned above this I can just say fair enough but I'm just super confused about this post right now because of this very thing. I particularly mentioned in my very post you're quoting to is that the trade rules existed even in earlier seasons, including the one I hosted. In fact, the rules you have for trades are almost identical that I used to have - only difference being that credits weren't allowed to be included. I really don't understand how can you take this as an offense to the host, from all the people?

I understand you're upset that you've been traded so frequently, I guess I suffer from a similar complaint having to deal with so much scrutiny from a certain group of players which puts me on edge. Sorry. 

What I can say about how managers do things is this, we play a different game than we did before. The old PokeMMO was a much smaller community and the PSL was much smaller as well. We now have 10 tiers and over 140 players trying to get drafted at the start of the season. Managers likely don't have that connection they used to with their players, simply because they just don't know them as well. At least that's what I tell myself. Looking back though, we can still see new friendships and relationships building from season to season. Teams are still made up of players from every corner of the game, and after the season ends we all have someone new we can message in game and discuss strategy or life with. I wouldn't have dreamed of talking to Lion on a daily basis, but here we are. Chatting it up like old chums. Same with a few others in my squad. 

Anyhoos, enough rambling from me. I get triggered pretty easily because I care about the PSL and I want to see it succeed. If there's anything wrong with it, then I see that as a reflection of who I've been as a host. 

What I've seen the connection in teams in PSL, at least the ones I've been part of has been really good. The forum PM is active, people are sharing their teambuild ideas, ideas for lineups, sharing comps... working together in general. On Kakunas case they even have a Discord group, which is amazing. That's what PSL is all about.

I see trades as something that should be done when teams have wasted potential and they feel as they have to bench someone that does not deserve to be there. Let's say you have 3 normally starter caliber UU players in your team. Trading one to a team where that player could actually get playing time would benefit everyone while getting depth in return. When I look at the trades (about 10 or so) by week 4, very little of them make any strategical sense in terms of tier depth in teams. 

Edited by OrangeManiac

Really proud that we got no less than 16 signups for the VGC tournament.

The tournament started as a complete mess: we were missing the host, and after we all decided to meet in the MMO room on showdown, we all got kicked/banned from the room, and some of us even locked from talking.

That didn't stop us. Very professional of all players to complete their matches and report the score on the forums. Well done, fun and fast paced tournament with 31 bo3 series played in a bit over 2 hours. You can find most replays by searching for them on showdown.

17 minutes ago, OldKeith said:

Really proud that we got no less than 16 signups for the VGC tournament.

The tournament started as a complete mess: we were missing the host, and after we all decided to meet in the MMO room on showdown, we all got kicked/banned from the room, and some of us even locked from talking.

That didn't stop us. Very professional of all players to complete their matches and report the score on the forums. Well done, fun and fast paced tournament with 31 bo3 series played in a bit over 2 hours. You can find most replays by searching for them on showdown.

Oh wow, Showdown jelly of the MMO life?