[PSL 7] How to Feed the Trolls

What is this?

Well against my better judgement, this is where I release the official rules for PSL 7 in order to ensure that everyone involved has adequate time to understand how this season will be played. 

But JJ, we know the rules!

Apparently you don't, because the trolls keep asking. Included below will be the official rules, but just keep in mind not all aspects of PSL 7 will be released at this time, simply because I enjoy keeping a bit of excitement and suspense involved. 

So fine, what are the new features first?

Small Council:

Spoiler

A small council will be selected to help the host with difficult decisions. They will vote on trades, bans, and manager selections. They can also help with other troublesome things that might come up here and there. 

Preseason Auction:

Spoiler

The preseason auction will now feature the first two rounds being in a draft format where credits are not deducted and the selecting manager can freely pick from the player pool. After the first two rounds, the auction will commence and each manager will be awarded 100k credits. See below for more details. 

Trades:

Spoiler

Trades will now be "capped" by a 25% restriction. This means that you cannot trade a player outside of a 25% threshold, for instance an 8k player can only be traded for a player valued between 6-10k. If they are more or less than that, credits or another player will need to be added to meet the threshold. See below for more details. 

Midseason Auction:

Spoiler

The minimum bid will now be 1k credits. Midseason players can no longer be traded. 

Playoffs:

Spoiler

The playoffs will now consist of 6 teams, with the two top seeded teams receiving a bye in the first round. 

Ok, and now give me everything in detail.

Host:

Spoiler

The PSL host is the conductor of the entire event. Their responsibilities are endless and they are the final say in any decision. They organize every aspect of the PSL and ensure that rules are met, competition is adequate, and the event is fun for everyone involved. 

In order to be host, you should at the very least approach the prior hosts (ThinkNice, OrangeManiac, Gunthug, and DoubleJ) to ask for their blessing. ThinkNice is dead though, so ignore him. 

*** This will likely be my last season hosting since life is getting down right busy as I can ever imagine, so PSL 8 will be looking for someone else to step up. Well unless I turn into a masochist and go for a third round (unlikely). 

Small Council:

Spoiler

In PSL 6, Gunthug and OrangeManiac acted privately behind the scenes to help me with difficult decisions. This season, I will make a formal small council that is made public. Their role will be simple, they will vote along with the host to approve or deny trades, select managers, and force any bans. They will also be consulted on other decisions that are not clear cut, but outside of the the three things stated the host will have final say. 

Gunthug and OrangeManiac, as prior hosts, will have the first opportunity to position themselves on the small council. If either decline, I will hand pick someone else from the community to help. 

Managers:

Spoiler
A PSL Manager is the leader of their team and plays the most important role in the PSL. They will conduct the draft, determine a weekly roster, and motivate their players to succeed and stay excited to play week in and week out. They maintain the team's finances and they participate in the second draft at midseason. Any trades are made and accepted by the manager, and they only answer to the PSL Host. Managers need to ensure that their players follow the rules and are updated about any changes that might occur. They are also responsible for notifying the host of any necessary substitutions that need to be made. They also watch for possible inactivity by their players. All correspondence between the manager and the host should be made by personal message, so that it is documented. 

In essence, the manager has the most responsibility on their team. 

Keep in mind the following:
  • Considering they both finished in the finals last season, both Kizhaz and KaynineXL will be given the opportunity to manage a team in PSL 7.
  • There will be 8 managers this season and any new managers will be selected by myself, and my small council, after the manager sign-up period is over.
  • Managers are chosen on a largely subjective basis. For details read the ‘Manager Signups Information’ paragraph.
  • Managers are not allowed to play for their team in the PSL, it's either play or manage so choose wisely.

Lastly the manager has these responsibilities:
  • The manager shall send the host weekly rosters
  • The manager shall ensure to his/her best capabilities that every match will be completed by the deadline
  • The manager shall inform the host as to why a match failed to be completed in the event that one fails
  • The managers shall inform the host of any substitutions that need to be made
  • The manager shall inform the host of any attempts of cheating by his team or others
  • The manager oversees all trades involving their team
  • The manager oversees both drafts unless unable to be present, in which case the manager shall appoint someone to draft on their behalf
  • The manager shall name a team captain who shall act in their steed should they be absent

Team Captain:

Spoiler

A manager may select one player from their roster to be named "team captain". The team captain will be the point of contact for their team should the manager become inactive (please no). In real life issues happen and thus we need someone to take the reigns if the manager is no longer able to do so. 

Team captains cannot be released.

Team captains may submit a roster to the host for that week, conduct trades, and request substitutions. They may not release players, conduct a draft, or act as manager, unless the manager of their team explicitly says so. 

Preseason:

Spoiler

The preseason events will include the manager sign ups, manager selection, player sign ups, and auction. Other events that might occur will be released prior to the start of the season, but will not be disclosed now. Any prizes for said events will be removed from the total PSL prize pool. 

Manager Sign-Ups and Selection:

Spoiler

A thread will be opened that will explicitly state the rules involved in this process, but in summary players from the community will submit an application to participate as a manager for PSL 7. Once the application period has ended, the Host and his Small Council will select 8 players as managers for PSL 7 and a formal announcement will be made. 

Player Sign-Ups:

Spoiler

A thread will be opened that will explicitly state the rules involved in this process, but in summary players from the community will submit their names, favored tiers, and timezone for which they live. The players who sign up here, will represent the PSL player base and will be purchased in the draft to fill out the various teams. We're aiming for roughly 120 player sign ups.

Preseason Auction:

Spoiler

The PSL Preseason Auction will be held over Team Speak in a private channel. Only managers and the host will be allowed voice and typing capabilities. All others present will be muted and act only as spectators. The draft will occur after Player Sign-ups are completed. The time will be decided by all managers and the host in order for full participation. 

• The first two rounds in the auction will be made in a draft style format; meaning that the manager selected to pick may pick whomever he sees fit from the draft board and that player will be immediately added to his/her team. The first two rounds of the draft will be performed in a 'snake style' pattern, meaning the order will be reversed and the player who picked last, will pick first in the second round. 
  • The order of the auction will be announced at the beginning of the auction and will be determined by random chance
  • After the first two rounds, managers will be provided with 100k credits each
  • Once a manager is called, they will have 2 minutes to select a player from the draft list 
  • A manager may open the bid at 2k (minimum) or state a higher opening bid at the time of selection
  • Once a player is selected, other managers can bid on that player by manually typing their bid
  • A minimum outbid of 500 is mandatory, for instance a bid of 2k can be outbid by a 2.5k bid
  • Once a bid has been active without any other outbids for 20 seconds, that player will be awarded to the manager's team with the highest bid
  • This will be repeated in subsequent order as indicated at the beginning of the auction
  • Manager's must draft a minimum of 10 players, there is no maximum
  • A manager must keep a minimum number of credits to fill their roster; for example a manager's first bid may be 82k, leaving them 18k to select their remaining 9 players. Credits will be tracked by the host, but please help out as this can get messy with a live auction
  • Once a manager has drafted 10 players, they may "skip" their turn in the draft and no longer participate. Once they have announced this, their draft will be over and they can no longer draft any further players
  • A manager's credits will not be carried into the season; whatever is left at the end of the draft will be forfeited
  • Any player not drafted will be placed on a free agency list where manager's may spend credits on them to play beginning Week 2 and forward
  • There will be no retaining of players from last season to this season

No player can be drafted and purposefully benched. This is not respectful nor conducive to the PSL.

• Managers caught purposefully benching a player will either receive a loss of credits and/or ban from future PSL events
  • Players will be released from their team immediately and placed on the free agents list

Notes heading into the auction: 

• Intend on drafting a player for each tier, once you've secured a player for each tier, pick up subs to help bolster your roster in the event of inactivity
  • There is a lot of strategy to the draft, so new managers must be careful to not spend too much too early

Sportsmanship:

Spoiler

As a participant in the PSL, you will maintain respect for your host, manager, teammates, opponents, and yourself at all times. Any excessively inappropriate behavior will result in disciplinary action. Considering this though, a little trash talk never hurt anyone. Just don't be stupid about it.

Regular Season:

Spoiler

The regular season will consist of seven (7) weeks of competition where each of the eight (8) PSL teams will play one another in a best of ten series that will include multiple PokeMMO and Showdown tiers. Those tiers will not be announced at this time (suspense HYPE). The process of the regular season will be conducted as such:

Weeks 1-4: Competition

Intermission: Midseason Auction and other event(s)

Weeks 5-7: Competition

The regular season will commence approximately 1 week after the end of the Preseason Auction. Teams with the best records will move on to the playoffs to compete for the PSL Championships. 

The regular season is designed to be complex and involve many aspects of play, including trades, free agency, substitutions, etc. The PSL is modeled after Fantasy Football in America and will be conducted as such. 

Credits:

Spoiler

Teams will be rewarded with 100k credits for the PSL Preseason Auction beginning in Rd 3, once the auction is completed no credits will be retained.

At the beginning of week one, each team will be rewarded with 5k credits to use for trades, free agent pick-ups, or the midseason auction.

Further points will be rewarded as follows:

• 2k for each team loss between weeks 1-4
  • 1k for both teams involved in a tie between weeks 1-4

These 'bonus credits' will be awarded in order to improve competition among PSL teams. Losing teams will be given credits to pick up free agents, improve their roster at midseason, or make trades. Credits can be traded. 

The credits system will be discontinued after Week 4 and the Midseason Auction, as there will no longer be a need for them. 

Trades:

Spoiler

Trades are an important part of the PSL and offer a sense of complexity that not only keeps the managers involved, but can also shake up the entire season. What is the PSL without a bit of drama? But anyhoos, here are the new rules involving trades:

• Trades will be allowed from the end of the preseason auction until the end of Week 5.
  • Trades must be submitted by Friday in order to be approved by Sunday and use of those players in the following week.
  • Once a trade is submitted, the players involved may not be offered in another trade package.
  • All submitted trades are final and cannot be redacted by the involved managers. 
  • All approved trades will be activated for the following week.
  • All submitted trades will be voted on by the Host and his small council. A majority vote is required for approval. 
  • Trades will now have a credit cap. Any trade must be within 25% of the credits they were auctioned for. For example, an 8k player can only be traded for a player with a value between 6-10k. If there is a discrepancy between trade packages, the player offering less than the 25% limit will have to add credits to meet that limit. For example, if a manager offers a 4k player for an 8k player, that manager will have to add at least 2k credits to his package to receive the 8k player to get within the 25% margin. 
  • A manager may still trade pure credits for a player, but these trades are still limited by the rules above.
  • Midseason players cannot be traded.

Free Agency:

Spoiler
  • Any player that was not drafted will be placed on a free agents list
  • Managers may bid on free agents (minimum bid of 1k, outbid by 500)
  • After a period of 12 hours with no bids, that player will be placed on the team of the manager that bid on them
    • Free agents will be activated the week after they were picked up
  • Players that were not selected in the midseason draft will be placed in free agency with the same rules as above
  • Any manager that releases a player may not bid on that player in free agency, but all other managers may do so
  • A player selected from free agency in Week 1, will be made active in Week 2; in all other weeks free agents will be activated immediately upon being signed

Midseason Auction:

Spoiler

The midseason auction will be held over the forums for a period of 5 days. Players will sign-up one week prior to the auction. At the start of the auction, managers will bid on player using the credits they have earned from the beginning of the season and onward

• A minimum bid will be 1k per player
  • Other managers must outbid by 500 credits
  • A player will be officially drafted when there are no outbids over a 12 hour period of time 
  • Drafted players will be eligible to play on Week 5
  • Midseason players can not be traded

Playoffs:

Spoiler
  • The playoffs shall consist of a 6-team single elimination bracket with appropriated seeding from the regular season
  • The top two (2) teams will receive a bye in Rd 1
  • If any potential playoff team is tied after 7 weeks of play, the following will decide seeding:
    • The team that beat the team they are tied with in the regular season will have the higher seed
    • If both teams tied during their regular season match, their Players Wins For and Against will determine seeding
    • If they are still tied, a sudden death match will be conducted as described below
  • Any ties in the playoffs shall result in the following:
    • Each team will compete in three tiers, one being OU and the other two selected by each manager
    • The two teams will then nominate players to duel in each of the named tiers, a different player must play each tier
    • Those two teams will then play in those 3 tiers to determine who advances
  • The PSL Champion shall be crowned after the completion of the finals match

Appeals:

Spoiler

Managers may not appeal a ruling once the host and his small council have made a decision. All managers and players will be given time prior to the host's decision to state their case. 

Difficult decisions, or decisions that involve the host's team, will be referred to or assisted by the small council. The host will always have final say. 

Edited by DoubleJ
Just now, DoubleJ said:

@Bestfriends for manager?

Thanks for the offer, but a very big thing happened to Roy Rogers Incorporated! Due to R.R.I's size and resources in the community, R.R.I has a board now. Some very big things are going to happen to R.R.I. I might mention this on my next headline video, but Roy Rogers News is interested in covering PSL matches due to numerous amounts of requests. I need to learn the ropes of PSL, but once I do, I'll cover them with a bit more ease. You heard it here first!

Just now, Bestfriends said:

Thanks for the offer, but a very big thing happened to Roy Rogers Incorporated! Due to R.R.I's size and resources in the community, R.R.I has a board now. Some very big things are going to happen to R.R.I. I might mention this on my next headline video, but Roy Rogers News is interested in covering PSL matches due to numerous amounts of requests. I need to learn the ropes of PSL, but once I do, I'll cover them with a bit more ease. You heard it here first!

Read the rules and man up son. 

4 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Read the rules and man up son. 

I'll try to absorb as much knowledge as I can, but I do want to complete the Roy Rogers Walkthrough (Kanto edition). Hoenn won't be as rushed, but my two co-hosts are usually tied up during the week. Once I complete Kanto, Roy Rogers News can add "PSL" to the resume.

The one rule really up for debate here is that which is bolded under the Preseason Auction, where the first two rounds are a draft format and the remaining rounds are auction based. 

What do ya'll think, should we keep the classic auction or should we add the chance to pick up a star player early without opposition?

Just now, DoubleJ said:

The one rule really up for debate here is that which is bolded under the Preseason Auction, where the first two rounds are a draft format and the remaining rounds are auction based. 

What do ya'll think, should we keep the classic auction or should we add the chance to pick up a star player early without opposition?

We discussed this in PM, but I guess I'll voice up here too to pretty much start the conversation.

Basically JJ thought of adding that the first 2 rounds would be that every manager could pick a player to their team without others being able to outbid. This helps getting a friend to your team, a person you trust and someone you would most likely want to name your captain. On surface this looks like an alright idea, and having your team based on someone you know is definitely a good feature. However, I'm highly concerned about two things. First is that most likely people would want the 1st and 16th spot to draft their player, to pick the hottest name of current competitive scene without paying any credits. This is a bit too much put on the hands of RNG in my opinion in something like PSL. In addition, credit management is the most important skill of a manager and it's really interesting to see strategic decisions whether someone goes for that 30k Frags or pays 6k each for 5 rising stars. This would kinda remove this aspect of strategic teambuilding and possibly the biggest reason why I'm not necessarily in favor of this new rule.

What if all the managers want the same player, will it be arranged by luck ? I think the classic way is better, because making decisions is what it takes to be a manager.
Choosing to spend 20k on 1 player, and 80k on 9 or more players is challenging, this is how a manager can prove himself with wise decisions imo.

@DoubleJ

You can’t really go crying about respect if you use disgraceful passive aggressive humor to attack people, but hey at least you posted the new rules. I can appreciate that part.

My questions about the rules:

What are the rules regarding substitution? What is allowed and what isn’t?

Is it possible to trade multiple players for one player?

Are the free agents that get bought tradeable?

Are inactive players put in the free agent pool upon release?

Activity calls are made by the host or the small council? On which basis are activity calls made?

Are the PSL tiers decided before or after the player sign-up?

Is credit divisible by any number? Can a manager trade 7832 credit for a player or only 7.5k/8k is possible?

If the answers to these questions have already been provided, I apologize. There is just a lot information and I might have missed something.

My comments about the rules:

The margin is cool, but sadly doesn’t work. If you offer a 4k player + 2k credit for a 8k player, your offer becomes 6k for 8k. Since 75% of 8k is 6k, the trade is fine. However, 8k is more than 125% of 6k. The margin only makes sense one way.

I feel credits should only be used for the midseason auction or buying free agents. Allowing trades with credit can get messy really fast, but also doesn't really make sense since players were bought with preseason credits, not post auction credit. It is the equivalent of buying in the United States 5 USD Big Mac withh 5 Chinese Yuan. These credits don't have the same value, the same way 2 different currencies don't have the same value.

I will probably add more later.

Edited by gbwead
4 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

What could make this rule more fair

the option to sell a round 1 pick or trade them after you picked them up for credits, itd help balance it out quite a bit

Geeeeeeeeeeeeez he just can't let it go, just look at this guy. And again, I'm not being passive aggressive, I'm being actively aggressive. There is quite a difference you pleb. 

But to answer the questions of someone who actively criticizes but never participates in the PSL... (see now that's passive aggressive!)

1. Same substitution rules as last season, meaning subs can be made throughout the week but can only be made from benched players. Once you sub a player out of the line-up they cannot be subbed back in. 
  2. Multiple players can be traded at once and is highly encouraged. Multiple teams can participate in the same trade as well. 
  3. Free agents are able to be traded.
  4. Inactive players that are released cannot return to finish the season. 
  5. Activity calls are decided upon by the host, with input from the small council. And trust me, they have a great influence on me as they did last season. Activity calls are only decided upon should both players be unable to complete their match and no substitutions are offered. An activity call can be a no contest, meaning both players are at fault, or an activity win, meaning one player was clearly at fault. The player at fault will be suspended for one week similarly to last season.
  6. PSL tiers are top secret.
  7. Haven't decided yet, but likely keeping it in factors of 500 for simplicity sake.
  8. It's +/- 25% gb, so between 75-125% trade margin. 
  9. Credits will be used for trades. Soz brah. 
6 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

What could make this rule more fair

the option to sell a round 1 pick or trade them after you picked them up for credits, itd help balance it out quite a bit

That would certainly add some interest, but not sure who would willingly trade that pick off. 

19 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Geeeeeeeeeeeeez he just can't let it go, just look at this guy. And again, I'm not being passive aggressive, I'm being actively aggressive. There is quite a difference you pleb. 

How the fuck am I the one not letting it go when the title of your thread is about calling me a troll? I'm done taking shit from you JJ, so I will gladly tell you to fuck off everytime you attack me for no reason like you do now and like you did in the past countless times. Ultimately, it is just quite sad that being a asshole is more important to you than being a decent host. Stop being such an attention seeking drama queen by insulting people that disagree with you every chance you get, it is pitiful and uncalled for. You should also know that insulting people without precedent and making it look as if you are joking is the most passive aggressive thing ever. 

26 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

But to answer the questions of someone who actively criticizes but never participates in the PSL... (see now that's passive aggressive!

"Gbwead, the type of gay to ridicule the PSL this entire season but not be a part of it whatsoever." that is what you said right before I told you to fuck off publicly. Can you see what is similar between your statement now and what you said back then? Both passive aggressive, so quit this tough act. You attack people like a coward and seek a reaction out of them like a child in need of attention.

Now back on topic:

33 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Multiple players can be traded at once and is highly encouraged. Multiple teams can participate in the same trade as well. 

I don't think this is wise. Group value and individual value are not equivalent. If I take this example to the extreme, buying 10 free agents for 1k and trading them off for a 10k player should not be allowed since a manager can really have any use for 10 1k players at once.

39 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

PSL tiers are top secret.

I did not ask what they were. I asked when would they be announced. 

39 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Haven't decided yet, but likely keeping it in factors of 500 for simplicity sake.

Good call imo.

40 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

It's +/- 25% gb, so between 75-125% trade margin. 

We don't understand each other. The 25% margin is based on what? A 25% margin around 6k correspond to a range between 4.5k and 7.5k. A 25% margin around 8k correspond to a range between 6k and 10k. That is why the margin doesn't work from my understanding.  

46 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Credits will be used for trades. Soz brah. 

Meh

1 minute ago, gbwead said:

How the fuck am I the one not letting it go when the title of your thread is about calling me a troll? I'm done taking shit from you JJ, so I will gladly tell you to fuck off everytime you attack me for no reason like you do now and like you did in the past countless times. Ultimately, it is just quite sad that being a asshole is more important to you than being a decent host. Stop being such an attention seeking drama queen by insulting people that disagree with you every chance you get, it is pitiful and uncalled for. You should also know that insulting people without precedent and making it look as if you are joking is the most passive aggressive thing ever. 

"Gbwead, the type of gay to ridicule the PSL this entire season but not be a part of it whatsoever." that is what you said right before I told you to fuck off publicly. Can you see what is similar between your statement now and what you said back then? Both passive aggressive, so quit this tough act. You attack people like a coward and seek a reaction out of them like a child in need of attention.

The "gay" was legitimately a mistype, and true that was a passive aggressive statement on my behalf. And to be fair, I think I have been a decent host. Unfortunately I have also been an asshole toward you as well. You have honestly gotten quite annoying in my perspective over the past year. It's a shame too, since I do have a lot of respect for you as a player. Remember the good times when we'd go head-to-head and I would commend you on your creative builds? You can say what you want about me, that's fine. Like I've said a number of times, I truly don't care. This is a video game. 

Now back on topic:

I don't think this is wise. Group value and individual value are not equivalent. If I take this example to the extreme, buying 10 free agents for 1k and trading them off for a 10k player should not be allowed since a manager can really have any use for 10 1k players at once.

Again, managers won't trade a 10k player for 10 1k players. Trades are also voted upon by me and my council. You're too caught up in Murphy's Law. 

I did not ask what they were. I asked when would they be announced. 

I'm not sure when they will be announced. Sometime before player sign ups. 

We don't understand each other. The 25% margin is based on what? A 25% margin around 6k correspond to a range between 4.5k and 7.5k. A 25% margin around 8k correspond to a range between 6k and 10k. That is why the margin doesn't work from my understanding.  

It's not the value of just the players, it's the value of the trade package as a whole. 4k player + 2k credits is equivalent to a 6k player or 6k credits. 

Meh

=)

2 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

It's not the value of just the players, it's the value of the trade package as a whole. 4k player + 2k credits is equivalent to a 6k player or 6k credits. 

I understand that. However, a trade package goes both ways since we need to take into consideration the perspective of each party.

When a manager offers the equivalent of a 6k player for a 8k player, this respects the 25% margin for the manager with 8k player since 0.75 x 8k = 6k. This is good.

When a manager offers a 8k player for the equivalent of a 6k player, this does not respects the 25% margin for the manager with the equivalent of a 6k player since 1.25 x 6k = 7.5k. This implies that the manager offering the 8k player is overpaying because 8k is more than 7.5k which is the margin.