[LC] Gastly counter

In the little cup-tier competitions, almost everyone has a gastly. The moment i use a normal pokemon, most people switch in gastly and use sludge bomb, what is the best pokemon to switch in then?

First i was thinking about a pokemon with 'pursuit', but i could also go for a steel pokemon (aron,magnemite), or an other pokemon with 0.5 or 0.25 resistance against poison.

What pokemon would you choose and why?

Just now, athelstan said:

Porygon is what i have now but it doesn't survive 2 sludgebombs (it would if i give leftovers)

And taillow sounds good, if he survives one sludgebomb but i doubt he would

taillow would come in as a revenge killer and then pursuit kill it. 

Just now, xStarr said:

taillow would come in as a revenge killer and then pursuit kill it. 

But he asked for something to switch in against gastly

2 minutes ago, athelstan said:

Porygon is what i have now but it doesn't survive 2 sludgebombs (it would if i give leftovers)

And taillow sounds good, if he survives one sludgebomb but i doubt he would

Don't use leftovers in LC, use Oran Berry or something like that

25 minutes ago, londark said:

But he asked for something to switch in against gastly

Don't use leftovers in LC, use Oran Berry or something like that

I normally use oran berry, but last time i switched in my porygon this happend:

Porygon gets switched in and hit by sludgebomb goes from 25HP to 13HP (no oran berry activated)

Then he used sludgebomb again and i thought i would survive with 1HP but porygon died...

4 minutes ago, SweeTforU said:

pair it with magnemite/aron to switch in on sludge, then double out into taillow/pory

Yea, i was thinking of taking magnemite because i still have special choice band, but i don't know which moveset to give it because it doesn't has much choices and i'm also not sure which hidden power

Edited by athelstan
incomplete
5 minutes ago, SweeTforU said:

pair it with magnemite/aron to switch in on sludge, then double out into taillow/pory

magnemite/aron? please, the best switch on Gastly Sludge Bomb is another Gastly ofc.

1 minute ago, athelstan said:

I normally use oran berry, but last time i switched in my porygon this happend:

Porygon gets switched in and hit by sludgebomb goes from 25HP to 13HP (no oran berry activated)

Then he used sludgebomb again and i thought i would survive with 1HP but porygon died...

Sitrus Berry is better on Porygon for that reason since it activates at 50%. However, with some epic high roll + poison, Gastly can still 2HKO porygon even with the Sitrus recovery.

Edited by gbwead
8 minutes ago, gbwead said:

magnemite/aron? please, the best switch on Gastly Sludge Bomb is another Gastly ofc.

Sitrus Berry is better on Porygon for that reason since it activates at 50%. However, with some epic high roll + poison, Gastly can still 2HKO porygon even with the Sitrus recovery.

And then hit him with shadowball?

and what is 'epic high roll'

2 hours ago, athelstan said:

And then hit him with shadowball?

and what is 'epic high roll'

Ya Shadow Ball from Porygon should kill Gastly.

200 SpA Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 252 SpD Porygon: 12-15 (46.1 - 57.6%) -- 51.2% chance to 2HKO

(12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 15)  <-- those are the different dmg rolls of Sludge Bomb

If Gastly rolls a 15 dmg Sludge Bomb and poisons Porygon on the switch in, Porygon will receive 18 dmg on that turn. Since Porygon will go below 50% HP, its sitrus berry will heal it. Considering Gastly has 26 HP total, if it loses 15 hit points from high roll Sludge Bomb, if it loses 3 hit points from poison and if it recovers 6 hit points from sitrus berry, that leaves Porygon with 14 hit points. If on the next turn Gastly does Sludge Bomb again and gets another high dmg roll (15 dmg), Porygon will die before being able to do anything. If Gastly holds a Life Ball, Porygon chances of survival are reduced significantly.

Edited by gbwead
  • Mike locked this topic