Dragonite as a mixed sweeper?

Hey everyone! So, I'm relatively new to Pokemmo and not yet fully certain about how the meta looks here. I did pick up on how to breed now though and, while I will probably usually be content with 5 perfect IV's, want to create some of my favourite Pokemon with 6 perfect IVs, just because I can be sort of a completionist at times.

Now one pokemon I really want to get 6 perfect IVs on is Dragonite, firstly because I have so many fond memories of that Pokemon playing first gen as a kid, secondly because I can use Magikarps to breed, which are obviously going to be easy to catch and also useful for later breeding projects due to their egg groups.

Now here's my question; Is a mixed sweeper Dragonite viable in Pokemmo? I was thinking of something like this:

Dragonite @ Life Orb

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Earthquake

- Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/ others

With an EV Spreaf of something like 100 ATK, 252, SPAtk, 156 Speed

The special move would depend heavily on what Pokemon are meta in that tier and what I need to counter that. The EV spread is meant to make it so that special attacks have to be taken seriously, while a DDance can establish enough physical threat to not warrant any further IV's used. Again, all of that could be tweaked depending on what the meta calls for, when I actually know what exactly is going on in Pokemmo battling.

Keep in mind that I don't actually have a lot of experience in competetive battling, this is just my initial theorycraft. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Well first of all- dragonite is banned from OU in PokeMMO, which means he is in category "ubers"
So, you can use him in double battles, but not in normal, single battles.

I'm not saying it's not worth to make dragonite, cause it's fantastic pokemon against npcs, I don't really know how he is doing in doubles, since I'm not playing it. 

the big D is banned to ubers sadly so you'll only be able to use him in the rare ubers tourney 2-3 times a year and doubles. for doubles you NEED espeed and a more bulky dnite with dd and espeed also does well. also seen decent band dnite. once you kill the metagross a banded dnite with follow me support is garunteed a few kills.

Thanks for the answers! I think in that case I will look into double battles and decide if they interest me. Never played doubles, but who knows, they might just turn out to be really fun! Thanks again for you guys' assistance in this matter!

13 minutes ago, Vijce said:

Thanks for the answers! I think in that case I will look into double battles and decide if they interest me. Never played doubles, but who knows, they might just turn out to be really fun! Thanks again for you guys' assistance in this matter!

Doubles is very fun, definitely recommend to give it a shot. It's complicated format but I'd say it needs less understanding of the metagame to be able to beat even the better players. In Singles, the best players know the metagame inside out so their team is usually thought out to the max while there are so much moving parts in Doubles.

About Dragonite itself, it's good in Doubles but not insanely great. As a Pokemon, it's definitely top tier but it's most of the time a weaker Salamence (best trait it has is the ability Inner Focus so it's a great lead) but because of these two Dragons everyone and their mother runs Ice-moves on basically every Doubles Pokemon they can. If you wanna run a Mixnite, I'd recommend something like "Extremespeed, Dragon Claw, Thunderbolt, Superpower/Wing Attack". Thunderbolt is great to catch Gyarados off guard when Intimidated. Other than that Dragonite's strongest moves are physical. Oh and Outrage sucks, the base power here is only 90.

Oh, damn, I didn't even know outrage was weaker here! Thanks for the heads up.I will definitely look into doubles once I find the time! Don't really mind that Dragonite might not be absolutely tier 1, I've never been ultra-competetive when it comes to building teams, moreso I just like using Pokemon that I've always liked anyways, haha! Nothing against salamance, but Dragonite has that benefit of the rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

• Mike locked this topic