ways to prevent timed out losses

bigbangattack

Question

First off I want to say that I really appreciate all the things that staff do for us. I know that it is a lot of work putting this game together and its impossible to fix every problem or perfect every addition to the game. I want to make a couple of suggestions to improve gameplay. During friendly matches and unofficial tournaments (i.e. not the automated ones) there needs to be a way to keep timed battles from automatically ending the duel.  Even in officials there should be the option of showing mercy to a player when they time out.  I have had many instances where lag caused me to lose a game.The timer starts counting down before the text has left the screen and before the battle animations so often I will be watching the timer go out on me while I know the move that I want to select. I believe that this will have no negative side effects because even outside of friendly battles there is a time clause for the overall length of the game to prevent abusing it for lengthy battles and because one of my suggestions will allow for the time out to be optional instead of mandatory.

1) We can have a start timer or stop timer button similar to showdown

basically if you have a stop timer button you can prevent your opponent from timing out if you want or allow the timer to stay on if you are in a tournament and just want that win at all costs.

2) have the timer start after the text and battle animations have finished for both players

This suggestion actually isn't just arbitrary if you implement the first one because it will make the game more fair in tournaments where an opponent might not want to show any mercy.This will also account for lag that players experience during times where the server is pretty full. Baically if you are lagging you often watch the text and battle animations for 5-10 seconds while the timer is running and with our current timer situation its obvious that this will cost you the game. I do not know how hard it would be to code this though because it requires the game to recognize when the animation and text end on your computer, which might be hard to determine when your on two different networks. However; if this is possible I believe that it will make the most fair competitive gameplay possible.

3) this is just a quick suggestion if for some reason the first two are rulled out we can always add in an option to remove the timer when creating a duel.

Thanks guys I hope yall can implement this....also rendiz threw up a suggestion about cancelling moves. I think that these suggestions go hand in hand and could be implemented together.  The main focus here is fairness and competitiveness but also it would just be nice to have team tournaments where the parties involved do not want to win by default and the game ends abruptly because of lag and time constraints.

4 answers to this question

13 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

1) Has been suggested before, can't find thread now but staff didn't seem like the idea that much.

2) If I'm not mistaken your time starts running only when you are 'able' to make your next move

3) Normal Mode has no timer. Yeah it doesn't scale levels right but the standard in tournaments is that something needs to happen.

The time starts running before im able to make my move i can guaruantee that...i was watching the time go down while my screen said recovered a little health using leftovers and while battle animations took place and so on...

Also normal mode not having a timer isnt helpful considering most friendly tournaments are still prefered at lvl 50 with clauses