The blatant ignoring of doubles as a legitimate tier

Thoughts from DoubleJ, per the usual:

1. Doubles will always be my favorite tier. Ignoring the classic days of Lvl 100s, I basically grew up on Doubles here at PokeMMO. It's something that is unique, overtly creative, and insanely strategic. To say it's a lesser tier, is a slight at creativity and strategy in Pokemon. To say it doesn't deserve more than two tournaments over the period of several months, is a slight to the game itself. 
  2. Doubles is rough because RNG plays a significant factor, but honestly, what tier or metagame in Pokemon doesn't? Everything in this game is decided upon by RNG.
  3. Doubles vs OU/UU/NU, get over yourself. With 2-3 official tournaments a week, you can definitely slide 1 Doubles tournament in every other week. 
  4. Popularity of Doubles... did we not just have one of the most successful tournament series in PokeMMO that was of the doubles metagame?
  5. Doubles is full of old players that win all the time; uhhhhh not true. While there are dominant doubles tournaments, just take a look at the past replays and see how many new faces are willing to take part.
  6. Doubles tournaments only fill because you can use every pokemon and there are no bans... wot? Even if that were the case for a small number of players, what difference does that make? It offers change to an otherwise stale competitive community. 

Ok, so enough of that. Doubles is a legit part of the PokeMMO competitive scene. It is a metagame that is unique and full of new strategy. For instance, the Doubles tier was traditionally dominated by hyper offense, but just recently it is evolving into a stall based game through introduction of new strategy. That didn't happen overnight, it happened because staff gave it a chance and highlighted it for an entire season. Imagine how it could grow if we had more doubles events? It could just be awesome.

But first, can we just implement a move cancel option and extend the timer for doubles? It would make a huge, and beneficial, difference tbh. 

Also, it is painful to see the best prizes being handed out in PvE events. PvP does not get any chance at those lovely "choose your own HP options" (thanks @Kyu), so we tend to get jealous. 

Oh one last thing...

9 hours ago, Bearminator said:

-"Please do not put pokemons who needs hidden power as PVP prizes! They're useless!"

Who the fuck ever said this? We were uguuing because we were awarded pokemon that absolutely NEEDED a certain HP to be viable, but unfortunately a selectable HP was just not offered. Now PvE events are awarded these pokemon and given the option. That is our gripe. 

14 hours ago, Gunthug said:

Man this is really a small gripe but doubles isn't actually a tier, it's a metagame all on its own 

e: it has occurred to me that this has probably already been brought up since I'm seeing " marks around the word "tier" 

No this was not brought up, some people just enjoy being unnecessarily obnoxious

13 hours ago, Moetal said:

Maybe I don't understand doubles completely, but doubles are by far the most boring matches to watch. I have, on multiple occasions, try to spectate double matches. Even matches between my close friends bored me to the point I had to stop spectating. I honestly rather watch two Chaney or two snorlax pp stall each other to death than watch this snorefest.

The only redeemable point of doubles is the different strategy/theory and team building than regular matches. Team building portion of doubles is much much more interesting than the actual gameplay. Should doubles be recognized? Maybe as likely and as legitimately as LC

You are right, you don't understand doubles. Even though everyone is entitled to their opinion, the fact that you find watching doubles matchs boring isn't relevant

12 hours ago, Murcielago said:

While I won't be playing doubles any time soon... it seems a bit silly that things like "little cup" and "catch event" get more love and give out legitimate prizes... I mean this upcoming "critical hit" event has a better prize purse than most ou tournaments... a 2x31, 4x25 w/ choice of hp genderless shiny?
... Thats the best prize I have seen offered in a while... and for what? Catching some wild pokemon that can use the move explosion?

50 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Who the fuck ever said this? We were uguuing because we were awarded pokemon that absolutely NEEDED a certain HP to be viable, but unfortunately a selectable HP was just not offered. Now PvE events are awarded these pokemon and given the option. That is our gripe. 

50 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Also, it is painful to see the best prizes being handed out in PvE events.

I'm not saying that doubles or any other tier shouldn't got nice prizes, but I don't agree that PvE event must have worse prizes just because they aren't tournaments. If at the moment only way to give pokemon which needs Hidden Power is by PvE event, I would rather give it as PvE prize than giving it out in Doubles or w/e, making it worthless without HP,  because that wouldn't make any sense.

12 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

I'm not saying that doubles or any other tier shouldn't got nice prizes, but I don't agree that PvE event must have worse prizes just because they aren't tournaments. If at the moment only way to give pokemon which needs Hidden Power is by PvE event, I would rather give it as PvE prize than giving it out in Doubles or w/e, making it worthless without HP,  because that wouldn't make any sense.

I'm having trouble understanding you here, what makes a comp shiny without HP worth something as a PvE reward and not worth anything as a Doubles tourney reward?

17 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

I think you've missed the point

3 minutes ago, Draekyn said:

I'm having trouble understanding you here, what makes a comp shiny without HP worth something as a PvE reward and not worth anything as a Doubles tourney reward?

Maybe it was poorly worded. If we can't give out Hidden Power pkmns by automatic tournaments, I would rather give pokemon which needs HP by catching event, because this way he CAN have specific hidden power. 

Just now, Bearminator said:

Maybe it was poorly worded. If we can't give out Hidden Power pkmns by automatic tournaments, I would rather give pokemon which needs HP by catching event, because this way he CAN have specific hidden power. 

Oh, that makes more sense

That's nice and all but beside the point in my opinion

17 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

I always said I wanted to really work on my doubles teams since I literally just use some old OUs/Ubers..

Then I see how many doubles tournies are played each month and lose the little to no motivation I had.

We could start hosting an unofficial doubles league, with a weekly tour for example. This would make players who are dedicated to pvp see the doubles scene a bit more interesting

4 hours ago, Bearminator said:

I think PVE prizes should just be different, not necessarily worse. Again, it doesn't really make sense to award a PVP oriented prize (a gift comp shiny) to PVE players who often have no use for them. As someone who competes in every PVE writing contest regardless of the prize, I'd much rather see a vanity prize for one of those events than a gift shiny I'll never use, and I'm sure the same goes for a lot of people doing catching events.

That's getting off topic, though. Doubles is one of my favorite tiers to spectate and it should get more love

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...