Orange's teambuilding service

Alright, I decided I need to give myself something to do as I'm most of the week unable to play this game with my computer and can only reach internet via phone. I'm offering a service where you could ask any questions about your teambuild and I will comment and give recommendations of how do I think you could improve your team. General questions about competitive play is also welcome, any questions really, if you wanna ask what is my shoe size that is fine too. If you wish to reward me for my efforts you are welcome to donate a TM or a shard or two for the effort but this is by no means required or even expected. What comes to competitive play, I'm always very offense oriented player so if you're looking forward for help to how to outstall your opponent then you're not getting advice for it from me as I have never dedicated myself on full stall play and neither do I even know how to effectively run such team.

Questions are welcome by both PM and as written in this thread.

1 hour ago, RysPicz said:

How do I deal with Snorlax in OU using only one pokemon?

If you're talking about dealing with Lax, Haze Milotic and Haze Weezing completely shuts Lax down unless Lax is a Subpuncher. Subpuncher seems really underwhelming as a Pokemon itself. Metagross is as close as it gets beating Lax alone but for that a Body Slam para might hurt you badly. I've started to use some "creative" options like Curse Cradily to counter every possible Lax and against Curselax my Cradily is in a favourable situation cause the main move Bodyslam is resisted so you don't even die to crit. When Bullet Seed crit mechanics work intendedly that's even better for Cradily.

I've also found many Trick Specs users very interesting options to troll Lax, namely Starmie and P2.

2 minutes ago, londark said:

Just Dank, but possibly no NFE ones

Noivern, Greninja, Hawlucha, Goodra, Pikachu, Talonflame

You know what team this is

E:

SHIT you can't use Greninja, I forgot it's ubers. Oh well. Infernape or Charizard then

Edited by RysPicz

http://www.azurilland.com/tools/team-builder#661|793|878|680|692|1449|

My swift wim team so far for NU.

Thoughts:

Kabutops

with waterfall, rockslide, swordsdance, substitute

or

Swordsdance, Endure, flail, Raindance/rockslide

Balstoise:

with Surf, icebeam, haze and rest

Mantine:

Raindance, Surf, Rest, sleeptalk

MR.Mime:

Calm Mind, Psychic, Thunderbolt, encore.

Or

Trick, calm mind, psychic, torment (choiceband)

Sandslash:

rapid spin, swordsdance, eq, Rockslide

Wigglytuff:

Seismic toss, wish, protect, toxic

is first team on pokemmo

Edited by BudsBender
48 minutes ago, BudsBender said:

http://www.azurilland.com/tools/team-builder#661|793|878|680|692|1449|

My swift wim team so far for NU.

Thoughts:

Kabutops

with waterfall, rockslide, swordsdance, substitute

or

Swordsdance, Endure, flail, Raindance/rockslide

Balstoise:

Mantine:

MR.Mime:

Calm Mind, Psychic, Thunderbolt, encore.

Or

Trick, calm mind, psychic, torment (choiceband)

Sandslash:

rapid spin, swordsdance, eq, Rockslide

Wigglytuff:

Seismic toss, wish, protect, toxic

is first team on pokemmo

The idea of that Rain Dance team looks good, some points though.

- You don't have much on grass-types. Except Mantine, sort of. Gets hurt hard by Leaf Blade Vic, though.

- Neither of those movesets for Kabu is exactly nice for RD Kabu. I'd say something along the lines of Rain Dance, Waterfall, Rock Slide, Ice Beam is the best. (even with low sp. atk, getting walled by Tangela sucks ass). Flail sets just doesn't work in NU considering how overused Espeed Raichu is.

- Mantine needs another offensive move. Preferably Air Cutter because otherwise Poliwrath walls you hell and back. At worst it can set up Belly Drum on you.

- I like the Mime in that team to protect you from Electric-types. I think it should be a very bulky one, max HP and maybe Calm nature. Trick is an option if you wanna troll Kecleon for example but it needs to be Trick Specs so you can actually take advantage of it in case you don't wanna trick. Calm Mind set looks good though. I might run Signal Beam instead of Encore, though. Encore is a nice move to lock Pokemon to set up, so why not.

- I know that Sandslash is there to cover you from Electric-types but that Rain Dance set up might hurt Sandslash instead. In general I feel like Sandslash is hard outclassed by Golem now. Golem has Sturdy which is nice, it hits harder with both STAB Rock and Ground and it can Rapid Spin too if that's your main purpose. Covering yourself from electric spam is reasonable though. Sandslash gets Swords Dance, which is nice though.

- Wigglytuff isn't a bad Wisher by any means but it might outclassed by Wishers, like Raichu or even Flareon. That normal-type isn't really helpful in your team anyways and especially with a Pokemon that seems a bit lackluster in every bit of way. I think Flareon would be okay considering Grass is sort of a problem to many of your Pokemon.

Edited by OrangeManiac

Kabutops

with waterfall, rockslide, swordsdance/Raindance, Icembeam

The thing about the flail was to sworddance until i have to endure, survive with 1hp trigger speed berry and start sweeping. So i guess i wont switch it into a raichu. But when its facing one, i can use endure and wouldn´t outspeed it?

Another thing, i cant look up due missing dex datas: icepunch isnt available ? considering its phys.

Balstoise:

Mantine:

Ok so here i want then a elec. type IF i remember right thunder has 100% while raining? maybe i can make use of that in this slot, completly take mantine out. Since he was supposted to sp. wall and set up raindance.

MR.Mime:

Calm Mind, Psychic, signalbeam, encore.

Or

Trick, calm mind, psychic, torment (choiceband) when i dont wanna trick? i mean stealing leftovers from walls giving them choiceband fucks up every wall i thought, same thing about encore when setting up. first moveset i would change thunderbolt for signalbeam. Still wondering what to hang on, because the second one is reactive while the first one does it aswell but without that interaction. IDk what i should prefer and i guess i have to test. all in all mime is my sp sweep, so idk is bulky right way to go then?

Sandslash goes for Golem

EQ,Rockslide,Rapid Spin and roar?

Well if i took raichu in place of mantine, here should come flareon, also nice switch in when my rain gets countered.

Therefore i could also use a grass with clorophyll. I somewhat prefer grass, because it lures alot of typeffectiveness for my swimmers in. but so does fire :3

Edited by BudsBender
36 minutes ago, BudsBender said:

Kabutops

with waterfall, rockslide, swordsdance/Raindance, Icembeam

The thing about the flail was to sworddance until i have to endure, survive with 1hp trigger speed berry and start sweeping. So i guess i wont switch it into a raichu. But when its facing one, i can use endure and wouldn´t outspeed it?

Another thing, i cant look up due missing dex datas: icepunch isnt available ? considering its phys.

Balstoise:

Mantine:

Ok so here i want then a elec. type IF i remember right thunder has 100% while raining? maybe i can make use of that in this slot, completly take mantine out. Since he was supposted to sp. wall and set up raindance.

MR.Mime:

Calm Mind, Psychic, signalbeam, encore.

Or

Trick, calm mind, psychic, torment (choiceband) when i dont wanna trick? i mean stealing leftovers from walls giving them choiceband fucks up every wall i thought, same thing about encore when setting up. first moveset i would change thunderbolt for signalbeam. Still wondering what to hang on, because the second one is reactive while the first one does it aswell but without that interaction. IDk what i should prefer and i guess i have to test. all in all mime is my sp sweep, so idk is bulky right way to go then?

Sandslash goes for Golem

EQ,Rockslide,Rapid Spin and roar?

Well if i took raichu in place of mantine, here should come flareon, also nice switch in when my rain gets countered.

Therefore i could also use a grass with clorophyll. I somewhat prefer grass, because it lures alot of typeffectiveness for my swimmers in. but so does fire :3

About Raichu I meant that your sweeps will be so often cut short because Extremespeed Raichu is everywhere. You would need to get the Raichu down first before being able to sweep with a Salac Berry. And even if you do, there's plenty of other priority users such as Quick Attack Flareon, Mach Punch Hitmontop and so on. Kabutops sweeping with Flail would be eay too situational.

I didn't say drop Mantine, Mantine fits your team nicely and makes it that nice Rain Dance combo with Kabutops. Mantine also somewhat deals with Grass-types so no reason to drop that.

Yeah Trick is nice for Mr. Mime and Tricking a wall fucks them up, I don't recommend normal Choice Band though.. Better to use either a Swift or Special Choice Band. Both of those fuck walls up but you can use them too in case the situation requires.

If you want a Spinner Golem, I'd say EQ, Rock Slide, Rapid Spin and Fire Punch.

edit: To be fair I'm a little bit sceptical of the Blastoise in your team, it doesn't benefit that much from Rain support and having 3 Water-types seems a bit too much considering how viable Raichu and Electabuzz are in NU.

Edited by OrangeManiac
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.azurilland.com/tools/team-builder#978|678|1450|728|788|739|

Worked it over by moving forward into competive play.

What i figured out is, that i miss alot of pokes in DEX. So when planning i rely mostly on older gen´s.

I wish, you could help me there with some info about the Pokemons i won´t consider since they are shades in my Pokedex :(

Grumpig came in for Mr.Meme

It fulfills more the bulky psychotype,

moveset is

Torment, Trick, Extrasensory/psych(a pp question),Signal beam/Shadowball

Nature

bold? for more tankness, since i gotta heal it with wish if needed.

Golem stays because i like.

I want to use him as Physwall, therefor is sturdy better or would you say rockhead/double edge?

Rockslide,EQ,Rest,Sleeptalk if sturdy.

Double edge,EQ,Rockslide,empty slot maybe some protection?

Raichu and Flareon

im not sure, somehow want to use both and maybe even both with wish/protect. But if that is too much, i´d go for flareon as special attacker.

Flareon (could do several things)

Faketears/bodyslam,Flamethrower,Firespin/protect,wish

Raichu(as support)

Wish, Protect,Twave,volt tackle

Scyther(as late sweep)

Endure,Revesal,Substitute/Wing Attack,Sword Dance

Dewgong(as bulky)

Icebeam,Surf,Toxic,Encore/rest

Edited by BudsBender
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! My questions are;

1) I made a corsola -sassy nature - 252 hp-252 spdef. But i never tried it. And im not sure about moveset too. Mirror Coat with Amnesia orLightScreen. So 

• Can you suggest me a moveset according to these ev points?
  • Can you suggest a second poke for cover this poke's weakness?

2) I want to make a comp persian. It will be a sweeper.

• Do you have any suggestion for moveset?
  • Mixed or Physical or Special. Which one is better according to you?

3) Jumpluff was pretty popular. Not sure about now but, I dont like aromatherapy or encore user pokes, so can you give me a moveset for this pokemon too? (note: 252hp-252 spdef)

4) Has Farfetch a chance at current comp game? As sweeper or with flail move. What is your opinion?

5) I saw too many diglets recently. This pokemon is good against which pokes? I couldnt realise if it is that good.

6) Defense Curl- Rollout combo is best for which pokes? Because i did not meet with someone who use this move yet. 

• What do you think about DC-Rollout-Sandstorm-Rest Shuckle? Can be effective at NU? Actually i dont know damage of Rollout tho with shuckle's power.

Thats all. Thanks! :-)

Just now, FinnTheMember said:

Hello! My questions are;

1) I made a corsola -sassy nature - 252 hp-252 spdef. But i never tried it. And im not sure about moveset too. Mirror Coat with Amnesia orLightScreen. So 

• Can you suggest me a moveset according to these ev points?
  • Can you suggest a second poke for cover this poke's weakness?

Corsola has plenty of different sets you can run, which is nice when you don't look at its abyssmal stats but hey let's work on what we have here. :)

One possible thing for that set is Curse + Recover + 2 offensive moves. (Waterfall + Rock Blast, i.e.). Corsola becomes quite unbreakable after two Curses from anything that is not a special Electric or Grass attack. Natural Cure helps healing if you get hit by surprise Toxic. This is a one set you can run but most definitely not the only.

More utility set is fine too with Toxic, Light Screen and stuff. Mirror Coat sure can surprise lots of things as well. For that you don't really need a "specific" set, just run Recover + 3 utility moves you find best. Probably one attacking move is helpful to prevent too easy set ups. Unfortunately for you though DrumWrath sets up on you anyways.

2) I want to make a comp persian. It will be a sweeper.

• Do you have any suggestion for moveset?
  • Mixed or Physical or Special. Which one is better according to you?

A physically invested should have a HP Grass to prevent from getting walled by Golem and Kabutops (Iron Tail exists but it's a horrible move). A Flail set is a very strong late-game sweeper what I've seen so that's definitely a set you can consider. However a special Persian is by no means out of the question. The main thing going for there is being unaffected by Intimidate from Hitmontop and in addition doesn't get walled by Tangela. Set like Hyper Voice, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Grass, Water Pulse (for lack of better) is a moveset that most definitely can sweep late game when HP is low.

tl;dr Physical set needs to have HP Grass, Special set is very viable now too.

3) Jumpluff was pretty popular. Not sure about now but, I dont like aromatherapy or encore user pokes, so can you give me a moveset for this pokemon too? (note: 252hp-252 spdef)

Jumpluff doesn't enjoy any usage now, I think it has been this way since sleep was nerfed and sleep powder doesn't hit grassers anymore. For that EV Spread like... Sub, Leech Seed, Toxic, Protect? Idk.

4) Has Farfetch a chance at current comp game? As sweeper or with flail move. What is your opinion?

No. None. Not even pseudo-PU.

5) I saw too many diglets recently. This pokemon is good against which pokes? I couldnt realise if it is that good.

In UU it has lots of Pokemon it can troll. HP Grass Special Choice Band trolls Quagsire, Scarf EQ KOs Tentacruel, Sludge Bomb breaks Exeggcutor.. It's basically used in wallbreaker teams where one of the walls cause you problems.

In NU Earthquake has lots of use for Muks, Electric-types when running Scarf and so on.

6) Defense Curl- Rollout combo is best for which pokes? Because i did not meet with someone who use this move yet. 

• What do you think about DC-Rollout-Sandstorm-Rest Shuckle? Can be effective at NU? Actually i dont know damage of Rollout tho with shuckle's power.

There's no fast users of Rollout with STAB so no one. That Shuckle sure is nice if you wanna have ultimate keks. It's not effective though.

Hello there... i'm building a Rain Team to play in OU.

>Crobat< Leader

Leftovers

-Super Fang

-Poison Fang (Basicaly there for the Badly Poison)

-Hypnosis

-Rain Dance

OR

Leftovers / Life Orb

-Sludge Bomb

-Giga Drain

-Heat Wave

-Rain Dance (This could be also Sunny Day it feels more worth if it runs in a sunny day team because of Heat Wave)

Not sure which set is the best also Natures are different in each set. I find myself the second one more useful since is a Hyper Aggressive Team

>Scizor< Bulky Support 

Leftovers

-Sword Dance

-Super Power / Brick Break 

-Pursuit

-Rain Dance

Well not always usefull but helps with Chanseys , it could also be a Breloom to cover this possition.

>Milotic< Wall

Leftovers

-Surf

-Recover

-Hidden Power Electric

-Mirror Coat

Milotics job is to wall Gyarados or an Sp.Atk threat with Mirror Coat. Should be enough for Gyarados ?

>Ludicolo< Special Sweeper

Life Orb

-Surf / Hydro Pump (Personaly i prefer HP since each attack drains life away)

-Giga Drain

-Ice Beam

-Rain Dance

The main Special Sweeper of the team.

>Jolteon< Special Sweeper / Wish Support / Sub Passer ?

Leftovers / Life Orb (LO seems too risky , it hits harder but Jolteon is going down so fast)

-Thunderbolt / Thunder (I believe Thunder is better here since Rain will always be active)

-Hidden Power Grass / Water (Not sure which one is better)

-Signal Beam / Shadow Bolt / Hypervoice / Wish (This is a filler move it's kinda hard to understand what's the best choice)

-Rain Dance

>Kingdra< Physical Sweeper

Life Orb / Leftovers

-Waterfall

-Outrage

-Rest ????

-Dragon Dance

The one and only Physical Sweeper... besically the Rain is there to be fast enough to set up and then it doesn't really need it. Also it can Delete other Kingdras with Outrage.

So what do you thing ? Should i change something or not ? 

27 minutes ago, Hotpistolz said:

RD Team

There's so many things I don't even know where to begin.

First and the foremost: You need to come up with a way to not get walled to oblivion by Chansey. (Spoiler: It's really hard if not impossible.) If you want Pokemon for this job you basically have two. Kingdra and Kabutops. And these aforementioned two get walled by Slowbro, To put it quite frankly, if you're facing Slowbro + Chansey core running a full Rain Dance team your winning chance is close to 0%. At most you need something to break these walls in OU. The best individual Pokemon for breaking these two Pokemon is Metagross. And running Rain makes it already turn it against you when your Metagross has to eat a Rain Surf from Slowbro. These are the reason no one in OU runs a Rain Dance oriented team. 

I'm gonna come up with a Rain Dance oriented team that I think can actually do work in OU. Gonna post it when I have a bit more time.

Spoiler

Yes, it contains Trapinch.

Edited by OrangeManiac
5 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

There's so many things I don't even know where to begin.

First and the foremost: You need to come up with a way to not get walled to oblivion by Chansey. (Spoiler: It's really hard if not impossible.) If you want Pokemon for this job you basically have two. Kingdra and Kabutops. And these aforementioned two get walled by Slowbro, To put it quite frankly, if you're facing Slowbro + Chansey core running a full Rain Dance team your winning chance is close to 0%. At most you need something to break these walls in OU. The best individual Pokemon for breaking these two Pokemon is Metagross. And running Rain makes it already turn it against you when your Metagross has to eat a Rain Surf from Slowbro. These are the reason no one in OU runs a Rain Dance oriented team. 

I'm gonna come up with a Rain Dance oriented team that I think can actually do work in OU. Gonna post it when I have a bit more time.

Hide contents

Yes, it contains Trapinch.

SD Ludicolo man

@Hotpistolz

Alright, I came up with a team that in my opinion is Rain Dance based team and still effective. I thought no Trapinch for two reasons: It's not creative and it's not reliable due to possible Shed Hull Chansey.

Metagross (lead)

Mild/Rash/Quiet nature

252 Sp. Atk, rest on speed/HP

Item: Life Ball

Meteor Mash

Shadow Ball

HP Fire

Rain Dance

Why this set? Metagross is the ultimate bait for Slowbro in the OU tier - the main problem of your physical Rain Dance Pokemon. Slowbro is one of the rare counters to Metagross, if your opponent has one they will show it. The strongest move against it is a special invested Shadow Ball, and the reason for special set. HP Fire is for entry hazard leads and Meteor Mash your go to physical move. What you want to do with this Pokemon is to cause maximum damage on your opponent, especially bait out and kill/do massive damage on Slowbro so it no longer walls your physical attackers at low HP. When you're low HP and/or getting walled - set up Rain Dance and die.

Pokemon 2

Kabutops

Nature: Adamant

EVs: Max speed atk

Ability: Swift Swim

Swords Dance

Rain Dance

Rock Slide

Waterfall

- Really hard or impossible to fully counter, especially in Rain. Mainly exists to break in coming Chansey and Ludicolo, hence the Swords Dance. Waterfall + RS Stab combo is great.

Pokemon 3

Ludicolo

EVs: Max speed atk

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Swift Swim

Swords Dance

Waterfall

Thunderpunch

Return

- This Ludi is pretty unwallable due to nice Water+Electric coverage. Offensively not as strong as special set but the fact that set can be countered to oblivion is not nice for an offensive based team. Return is a must for Ludis and Venus.

Pokemon 4

Kingdra

Nature: Lonely/Naughty

EVs: Max attack, Max HP

Rain Dance

Waterfall

Surf

HP Electric

- You need attack EVs to break Chansey hence why it's invested there. Really hard to counter barring water types, HP Electric is for them - especially Gyarados.

Pokemon 5

Gyarados

EVs: Max Attack Max Speed

Item: Choice Band

Waterfall

Earthquake

Crunch

Double-Edge

- CB Gyara is best with Rain Dancers to get insta advantage of rain. In addition you need a Heracross counter for your other Pokemon to protect them and Gyara is great for the job because of Flying-type and Intimidate.

Pokemon 6

You need a Jolteon counter check to not get destroyed by one so Garde/P2 are my favorites but something to fill that hole.

So yeah if I was to build a RD team it would look something like this.

Comments about your suggestion: Super Fang Crobat is a nice lead in other metagames but underperfoms in MMO as all the main walls that switch on Crobat have Recovery moves. You're kinda stuck there and even when you set up Rain your opponent can just stall the rain and finish you off when the rain is over. Crobat brings really no momentum on your way. In addition Scizor is quite poor in OU enviroment because of being hard walled by Slowbro and in general quite limited coverage move makes it easy to wall and sweep. In every way inferior to Metagross.

Edited by OrangeManiac

Ok ill bite, im not sure how familiar you are with doubles and VGC but this is a question regarding both, if you cant answer just call me a nerd and ill go cry myself to sleep

In VGC 15 the most common team used was C.H.A.L.K, it stood for Cresselia, Heatran, Amoonguss, Landorus, Kangaskhan (mega) and would usually be accompanied by a gimmicky pokemon. It was so dominant that the top 8 at senior worlds that year all had those 5 pokemon on their team.

My question is, if there is a PokeMMO doubles version of C.H.A.L.K, what is it, why and what spreads would you use (like physical ludi vs special ludi for example)

19 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

Ok ill bite, im not sure how familiar you are with doubles and VGC but this is a question regarding both, if you cant answer just call me a nerd and ill go cry myself to sleep

In VGC 15 the most common team used was C.H.A.L.K, it stood for Cresselia, Heatran, Amoonguss, Landorus, Kangaskhan (mega) and would usually be accompanied by a gimmicky pokemon. It was so dominant that the top 8 at senior worlds that year all had those 5 pokemon on their team.

My question is, if there is a PokeMMO doubles version of C.H.A.L.K, what is it, why and what spreads would you use (like physical ludi vs special ludi for example)

I've been jumping on the Doubles hype train (or bandwagon) just lately, now that I got yen from my Labcoat I invested a huge portion of my yen to doubles oriented comps and Doubles has quickly become my favorite MMO format.

Yeah I'm not been following VGC too much but I've become familiar with 2015's CHALK "meme" and I'm surprised there would be such dedicated go-to Pokemon in Doubles format for all the best players, considering how many options there are in Doubles. Quite frankly I would expect Singles to have much more often dedicated go-to comps compared to Doubles.

I don't think MMO Doubles has a "CHALK" archetype yet. Quite frankly I've felt as people teambuild their teams based on their support Pokemon. The most common support Pokemon are Follow Me Blastoise, Hitmontop and Vaporeon. For Blastoise pseudo3 with DD are its best buddies, Hitmontop supports sweepers possibly prone to physical attacks while giving Helping Hand and Vaporeon does the same while having the ability to kill the Dragons. Manectric can also be considered a Gyara + Aero support. Sometimes people just run 6 sweepers that they consider beating the main threats (dragons, meta, ttar, gengar, gyara, blissey) while some run Blissey of their own because it's a stop to two special sweeper attack offense which is powerful on its own. I think there is kind of similar formula to supporting your team with the right Pokemon as CHALK was, but there's so much variety with the supporter Pokemon to begin with and that's what I like in PokeMMO Doubles a lot.

Edit: For this very reason I cant come up with go to builds to beat a certain team combo as CHALK was becase there's so much diversity. I dont know if everyone played thousands of matches would we see a CHALK becoming a thing in MMO. 

Edited by OrangeManiac