[UU Discussion] Typhlosion [Banned to BL1]

Ninja-edit: gwbead-Tyrone edition

45304b85a33904fb337b6c3ce2a1c1ef.png

Typhlosion just fell from OU to UU and is already surrounded by controversy. Clearly, this new threat is meta defining, potentially fits offense uber characteristics and could become centralising/unhealthy; Typhlosion’s raw power is not something UU is used to. It can deal enormous amount of dmg thanks to stab Fire Blast/Eruption and to various boosts (Blaze, Sunny Day, Life Ball or Special Choice Band). For this reason, the standard “blanket” special walls of UU are incapable of safely walling Typhlosion. Most pokemons of the tier also have a hard time to switch on this threat since it is usually faster and has very good mixed coverage. Its wide movepool gives Typhlosion a lot of versatility and can easily surprise an unprepared opponent.

Despite the wallbreaking and sweeping power of Typhlosion, this overwhelming pokemon is still hard countered by Calm Slowking (unless CB Tpunch) and Careful Miltank. Both these pokemons can handle Typhlosion with relative ease and capitalize on the switch with supporting moves such as Thunder Wave. Typhlosion seems to also struggle to come in play; very few UU pokemons are safe switch for Typhlosion. Furthermore, some prediction reliant defensive and offensive cores can check Typhlosion which is why we start to see more Lanturn, specially defensive Altaria, Omastar and Azumarill. 

The tier council would like to know what the community thinks of Typhlosion. Even though Kangaskhan is being test banned atm, we would like UU discussions and analysis to focus mainly on Typhlosion rather than the absence of Kangaskhan. When thinking about Typhlosion, is UU shaping up to be better or worse than before? Is Typhlosion too much for the current meta? Do not hesitate to quote / repost your thoughts about Typhlosion in this thread.

Common movesets:

Spoiler

Typhlosion @ Special Choice Band | Swift Choice Band  
Ability: Blaze  
EVs: 252 SpAtk /  252 Spe  
Hasty | Naive | Mild | Rash ! Timid | Modest Nature  
- Eruption  
- Hidden Power Ice | Hidden Power Grass  
- Flamethrower | Fire Blast  
- Earthquake | Extrasensory

Typhlosion @ Life Ball 
Timid | Modest Nature  
- Sunny Day  
- Flamethrower | Fire Blast
- Solar Beam 
- Hidden Power Ice 

Typhlosion @ Life Ball 
Hasty | Naive | Mild | Rash Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Flamethrower | Fire Blast 
- Hidden Power Ice | Hidden Power Grass

- Filler move

Calcs:

Spoiler

Modest | Mild | Rash Typhlosion

252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 144-171 (71.2 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 128-152 (66.3 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Miltank: 84-100 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 63-75 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just now, RysPicz said:

I already said in the request thread what I think about typhlosion in UU

nothing has changed since then, although, I personally wouldn't want to just ban it

quickban when

ty

Today I ran 252/252+ SpDef Clefable + 252 HP Azumarill and a fucking Scarf Typhlosion with Eruption ran through my team. Weak as fuck Scarf broke my team with ease. Now I ask you this tier council, why is this thing still around? Or are we going to just keep saying everyone should run Calm Slowking?

Just now, DoubleJ said:

ty

Today I ran 252/252+ SpDef Clefable + 252 HP Azumarill and a fucking Scarf Typhlosion with Eruption ran through my team. Weak as fuck Scarf broke my team with ease. Now I ask you this tier council, why is this thing still around? Or are we going to just keep saying everyone should run Calm Slowking?

no dude, theres an obvious counter and its defensive rapidash bro. 

6 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

ty

Snorlax, ez.

2 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:
0 Atk Typhlosion Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 112-132 (41.9 - 49.4%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

assuming max spdef to better deal with eruption

Typhlosion Low Kick vs. Shedinja: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time

Sry, I meant shedinja.

It laughs before the mighty typhlosion everytime it moves.

except if he uses the rare fire type move

2 minutes ago, BlackJovi said:

plz bro, flash fire cant hit it with eruption, if ur bold max def u can stall it with toxic + morning sun as he EQs!!!! And its totally viable vs the whole other tier. 

Actually ninetales is better for dat job and can actually stall typhlo and be useful for some other mons.

1 minute ago, pachima said:
Typhlosion Low Kick vs. Shedinja: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time

Sry, I meant shedinja.

It laughs before the mighty typhlosion everytime it moves.

Reveal hidden contents

except if he uses the rare fire type move

Actually ninetales is better for dat job and can actually stall typhlo and be useful for some other mons.

oh yeah ninetales is a counter too, totally forgot. 

Just now, BlackJovi said:

If they use that as argument that's just proves our point, we specifically have to run that to 'counter' typhlosion, notice my sarcasm here. 

Hide contents

it's not a fucking counter

B-but Ninetales is legit in UU, it's even UU by usage