Define the Fury - Results Announced

Rache

There were so many fantastic entries this time around, the judging was very close for some of these and it was difficult to choose. Without further ado, here are the winners!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First place: Lyouie

Entry: http://orig01.deviantart.net/a116/f/2016/258/e/6/lucario_by_lyouie-dahqt2r.png
The judges loved the style Lyouie went with for this entry and were very impressed with how every aspect was pulled off. The beautiful usage of colours and overall attention to detail are stunning. Depicting the Lucario protecting a Riolu is a nice touch too, and very charming. A very well earned first place, congratulations!

Second place: Moetal

Entry: https://s14.postimg.io/4cnyyvqdb/ape11.png
Something this entry brought to the table that few of the others did is a detailed background and a scene that tells a story, things that didn't go unappreciated by the judges. The anatomy of the human version on the left is quite well done, and the battle itself convincing. Overall a very solid entry.

Third place: RainbowNebula

Entry: http://i.imgur.com/0ndoL12.jpg
Second and third places were very close. This artwork is very charming and cute, a completely different approach from the other placing entries. The minimal background helps to draw focus to the very happy looking Breloom.

Honourable mention: WolfgangDamien

Entry: http://i.imgur.com/3NrnNnpg.png
This entry has very strong lineart and posing, but we felt that the application of colour and digital shading clashed with and detracted from the beautifully done hand-drawn shading. An excellent entry in its own right however, falling just short of third.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can find all entries below. Thank you to all who participated, and I hope to see your artwork in the next one!

Finally!

EDIT:

I didn't manage to get to see the 1st entry in its complete form but i have to say it's neat and not taking so much space and having huge details like the others and i liked that and the unknown's were quite a smart thing, but i have to say that i loved <3  @Moetal draw (i mean the human was gr8!!!) and @WolfgangDamien but i agree with ur judgement about 3rd place to @RainbowNebula cus there is another kind of feeling to the hand-drawn, well it was indeed a hard thing to decide among of these whichi was the best, congratulations from me too to everyone 

Edited by ragstal
Moe <3

Literally took a month to judge. Lache you seriously need to work on pacing of judging. How about having your judges pick and rank top three they like, and each they like gets a point (example: 5 points, 4 points, and 3 points, respectively). Then all you gotta do is tally up the points and you're done. This ain't rocket science.

Also

We loved the detail and shading, but felt that it didn't quite fit the theme as well as Damien's entry. 

>Draw a poison type cutefish

>Didn't fit "poison" theme

>Draw a full fighting scene

>A beautifully and carefully painted "illustration" of Lucario is more fitting/wins over a full fighting scene, in a fighting type contest

130221984383.png

With that out of the way, why is there no love for the actual furry from Kickern

Spoiler

mega_lopunny.png

And lovely sushi from iimoburuu?

Spoiler

mObVg8V.png?2

2 hours ago, Moetal said:

Literally took a month to judge. Lache you seriously need to work on pacing of judging. How about having your judges pick and rank top three they like, and each they like gets a point (example: 5 points, 4 points, and 3 points, respectively). Then all you gotta do is tally up the points and you're done. This ain't rocket science.

Also

>Draw a poison type cutefish

>Didn't fit "poison" theme

>Draw a full fighting scene

>A beautifully and carefully painted "illustration" of Lucario is more fitting/wins over a full fighting scene, in a fighting type contest

With that out of the way, why is there no love for the actual furry from Kickern

Reveal hidden contents

mega_lopunny.png

And lovely sushi from iimoburuu?

Reveal hidden contents

mObVg8V.png?2

How can you know they got no love ?

This post only show top3, and honourable mention.

Then, of course, there was really good entries, but there is only 3 winners. We did a choice.

PS : Judges DO pick the top3 they like. And there is a point system as you said.

1 minute ago, Raederz said:

How can you know they got no love ?

This post only show top3, and honourable mention.

Then, of course, there was really good entries, but there is only 3 winners. We did a choice.

PS : Judges DO pick the top3 they like. And there is a point system as you said.

Need more honourable mentions. Also how does a point system take a full month. Please explain to me.

38 minutes ago, Moetal said:

Need more honourable mentions. Also how does a point system take a full month. Please explain to me.

Some judges take more time than others to choose their top3. And then, there can be draw that have to be discussed.

40 minutes ago, GergFalerg said:

RainbowNebula's entry is great but I don't really see the "Define the Fury" theme in it. :)

Judging criteria varies from contest to contest apparently.

13 minutes ago, Goku said:

Idk how Damien didn't get a spot... I feel like there was tremendous work and effort dedicated to his art piece. I guess what's done is done.

He messed up on the coloring, but I still think he should've placed higher than Rainbow's.

16 minutes ago, Moetal said:

He messed up on the coloring, but I still think he should've placed higher than Rainbow's.

There is no doubt in my mind that Damien did a better job. That's just my opinion in general. I feel like Rainbow did a very simple but yet effective drawing ;3

Edited by Goku
1 hour ago, iimoburuu said:

Congratulations to the winners ! ~  Qf2qTem.jpg

Please do more, I really enjoyed your piece.

As for the people who think Breloom did not fit the theme, the theme was literally a fighting type pokemon must be the focus.  Correct me if I am wrong but Breloom fits that category?  It was a very different take on the contest and a very welcome one

I feel cheated, again. And insulted. I did digital coloring because my digital coloring skills are much better than my hand-coloring skills, and I WAS going for an American comic book style, which is fully digital. 

While the Breloom may be a nice entry on its own, I feel it completely lacks the amount of time and effort that the other top 2 entries plus mine obviously show. 

This is the Create Your Own Gym Leader contest all over again, I get cheated by an overly simple entry that had no right in the top 3 to begin with. 

Edited by WolfgangDamien